Longevity from a fan perspective

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Gabby

Longevity from a fan perspective

#1 Post by Gabby »

I don't know about anyone else, but some days (yesterday's Cardi B tweet sprarked it this time) I do think as a PSB fan "Wow, did I ever back the right horse back in 1985".

Bands come and go, some are one hit wonders, some run for a few albums and then fade into obscurity, but here we are, as fans, 35+ years (and certainly more for some) later with the band we enjoyed at that moment still making music (and great music at that!).

I remember my parents saying something - as parents do (even I'm guilty of it) - that PSB would be a flash in the pan, and some days I thought maybe they were right. Why did I love this band so much, if in a few months, a year tops, they no longer existed? What was the point of going on this ride that likely would end badly quite quickly?

I do feel somewhat vindicated from all the nay-sayers, the "they're not a real band" snobbery, and, to be honest, some pretty hurtful piss taking.

I'm really heartened by this current fresh interest. It just seems so darn long to have got here.

Greendrake

Re: Longevity from a fan perspective

#2 Post by Greendrake »

Vindicated?

Even should they have happened to be "a flash in the pan", why feel any guilt of liking the music they created while being that flash, however a few tracks that would have been?

Scottydog

#3 Post by Scottydog »

There are 2 meanings to the word ‘vindicated’ and I don’t see any hint of guilt in Gabby’s post.
It’s been decades since I took any notice of other people’s thoughts on the music I like. Fortunately PSB were very popular when I first became a fan which was at the very beginning so it was never an issue. Yes there were people who preferred Blues or Rock but I just enjoyed the challenge in converting them. I didn’t think for one minute that I’d still be listening to brand new and excellent quality music over 35 years later. We are indeed very lucky.
If I thought what you’d think I wouldn’t even be here.

Gabby

#4 Post by Gabby »

Yes, no guilt here. I mostly wore my PSB fandom on my sleeve, even back then (school binder was covered in photos cut from magazines and hand written lyrics), and as with anything you find kindred spirits along the way. The occasional "Pet Shop Boys, they're a bit crap aren't they!" was disheartening, but I weathered the storms, played them as loud as possible at every conceivable time I could, and spent many a grand time in record stores looking for (and finding) PSB gold.

I think I'd have cared less back in '85 if I was already an "older" fan, but as an impressionable teenager, I couldn't understand why some other people couldn't see even an iota of value in the PSB's songs. I have a healthy admiration for certain artists, even though I don't necessarily like them - I respect the talent. That was something that seemed to escape others when it came to PSB, but fortunately is much less a problem now.

PopArt

#5 Post by PopArt »

I agree entirely. I have often thought back to my 8 year old self and what made me decide to back PSB in 1987 over the other groups of the time. As fans we have had tremendous bang for our buck over the past 35 years. There’s never been a gap of more than 4 years between albums and every year has had some PSB activity. You can’t say that of many other acts.

Plus, the quality of their output has been remarkably consistent. I enjoy all of their albums. And to me at least none of them are duds.

As a fan base we have a lot to be thankful for.
I'm always waiting...

james23_uk

#6 Post by james23_uk »

Very weirdly many of my top bands have turned out to be beasts of longevity. PSB, Erasure, Peter Gabriel, James, Placebo to name but a few. Often wondered whether it's coincidence or there is somehow a link?
at rock bottom :wall:

canveyboy

#7 Post by canveyboy »

Gabby wrote: Tue 23 Mar 2021, 1:48 pm I don't know about anyone else, but some days (yesterday's Cardi B tweet sprarked it this time) I do think as a PSB fan "Wow, did I ever back the right horse back in 1985".

Bands come and go, some are one hit wonders, some run for a few albums and then fade into obscurity, but here we are, as fans, 35+ years (and certainly more for some) later with the band we enjoyed at that moment still making music (and great music at that!).

I remember my parents saying something - as parents do (even I'm guilty of it) - that PSB would be a flash in the pan, and some days I thought maybe they were right. Why did I love this band so much, if in a few months, a year tops, they no longer existed? What was the point of going on this ride that likely would end badly quite quickly?

I do feel somewhat vindicated from all the nay-sayers, the "they're not a real band" snobbery, and, to be honest, some pretty hurtful piss taking.

I'm really heartened by this current fresh interest. It just seems so darn long to have got here.
It’s funny how you say you ‘backed the right horse’ - you don’t know how much that resonates with me. In 1987 I had been an avid fan of Austrian singer Falco who’d had a couple of hits with Rock Me Amadeus and Vienna Calling. I got into him in a big way. I bought his 3rd album Falco 3 in 1985 and then in 1986 the album Emotional. But by the summer of ‘87 I had become a bit disillusioned with the lack of releases and of course the lack of pure English vocal tracks. I was jealous of my school friends who were fans of Five Star and Bros. They were buying lots of 7” and 12” singles, lots of albums, video releases, magazine articles etc. I wanted to have a band to support like my friends. I wanted to do what they did. I wanted to be a fan of a popular band. Not a one hit wonder. So I looked around the charts, looked through Smash Hits and finally watched Top of the Pops one Thursday night in July 1987 to try and get some ideas on who I could be a super fan of. And there it was. This weeks brand new number 1, Pet Shop Boys with Its a Sin!!! Of course. It was obvious. This was the band for me!! I’d already bought West End Girls on 7” the year before, like a lot of people had but I had forgotten all about them. Until now. I loved this song, I’d been singing along to it on Radio 1 for the last 3 weeks!! There they were. Neil in a long black coat, Chris in baseball cap and rarely, no sunglasses, with his double stacked keyboards! Wow...they’re so different! And that was that! Two days later I was in Our Price buying the 12” of Its a Sin and Please on vinyl. Getting home and playing those records I knew I had chosen a special band. I couldn’t have known then that 35 years later I’d still be a fan and still listening to new music by them, but I knew they were different.

And what a journey. Some of the greatest pop albums of all time, B-sides, Videos, their very own film, tours, DVDs, live albums, books, musicals, plays, ballets, film scores and headlining shows at Glastonbury!! And that’s just scratching the surface of this incredible, prolific band.

I’m so glad that I too, backed the right horse! ;)
Last edited by canveyboy on Wed 24 Mar 2021, 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Its taken me all of my life to find you

telys

#8 Post by telys »

As I've mentioned before on this forum, I thought it was all over when they released Discography. That used to be the case in those days, a GH-collection was a farewell of sorts...
I had no idea they played concerts in 1992 etc and so when Can you forgive her and Go West came out I was... hm... I guess happy but most of all excited too.
So 28 years of bonus material as far as I'm concerned.

I've had a similiar experience with U2, started listening to them around Rattle and Hum and yes they were big but we could not foresee their longevity either.

And as I've also alluded to before on this forum, U2 and PSB share some similarities. They both consists of extremely good friends, more brothers/close family than friends actually. No line up changes, no hiatus.
----
You've got me all wrong

Greendrake

#9 Post by Greendrake »

Scottydog wrote: Tue 23 Mar 2021, 3:12 pm There are 2 meanings to the word ‘vindicated’
The 2nd being "show or prove to be right, reasonable, or justified". That's the one used here, correct?

In that case, "guilt" mentioned above is simply replaced by "being wrong, unreasonable, unjustified". Which does not change the point at all: there is nothing wrong to like music which is a flash in the pan.

That said, I certainly understand and share the sentiment of satisfaction of being a fan of a band of such, perhaps unprecedented, longevity. But at the same time I would not grade it being wrong or unreasonable to like flashes in the pan — to feel vindicated for not being one of those who does. I think this "vindication" is in fact some sort of indelicate pride, boasting, sense of superiority and condescending to those who happen to be fans of shorter living bands.

Gabby

#10 Post by Gabby »

canveyboy wrote: Tue 23 Mar 2021, 9:23 pm
Gabby wrote: Tue 23 Mar 2021, 1:48 pm I don't know about anyone else, but some days (yesterday's Cardi B tweet sprarked it this time) I do think as a PSB fan "Wow, did I ever back the right horse back in 1985".

It’s funny how you say you ‘backed the right horse’ - you don’t know how much that resonates with me. In 1987 I had been an avid fan of Austrian singer Falco who’d had a couple of hits with Rock Me Amadeus and Vienna Calling. I got into him in a big way. I bought his 3rd album Falco 3 in 1985 and then in 1986 the album Emotional. But by the summer of ‘87 I had become a bit disillusioned with the lack of releases and of course the lack of pure English vocal tracks. I was jealous of my school friends who were fans of Five Star and Bros. They were buying lots of 7” and 12” singles, lots of albums, video releases, magazine articles etc. I wanted to have a band to support like my friends. I wanted to do what they did. I wanted to be a fan of a popular band. Not a one hit wonder. So I looked around the charts, looked through Smash Hits and finally watched Top of the Pops one Thursday night in July 1987 to try and get some ideas on who I could be a super fan of. And there it was. This weeks brand new number 1, Pet Shop Boys with Its a Sin!!! Of course. It was obvious. This was the band for me!! I’d already bought West End Girls on 7” the year before, like a lot of people had but I had forgotten all about them. Until now. I loved this song, I’d been singing along to it on Radio 1 for the last 3 weeks!! There they were. Neil in a long black coat, Chris in baseball cap and rarely, no sunglasses, with his double stacked keyboards! Wow...they’re so different! And that was that! Two days later I was in Our Price buying the 12” of Its a Sin and Please on vinyl. Getting home and playing those records I knew I had chosen a special band. I couldn’t have known then that 35 years later I’d still be a fan and still listening to new music by them, but I knew they were different.

And what a journey. Some of the greatest pop albums of all time, B-sides, Videos, tours, DVDs, live albums, books, musicals, plays, ballets, film scores and headlining shows at Glastonbury!! And that’s just scratching the surface of this incredible, prolific band.

I’m so glad that I too, backed the right horse! ;)
Wow Canveyboy - did you steal my identity?!

I was all over Falco! Of course Rock Me Amadeus was my starting point, but I bought just about every album. Sadly I only had on cassette and don't own any Falco LPs on CD now, but loved just about everything he did. I have a US released 12" of Vienna Calling kicking around somewhere, and the 7" of The Sound of Musik, and a couple of later CD singles. "Emotional" is a fabulous album. Later ones were not quite as good but still had some nice tracks (Data De Groove was good).

I've joked that Falco got me through GCSE German at school (grade A!).

Rifling through records at *insert record shop name here* in the laste 80's it'd be a process of looking for PSB first, then Falco, New Order, and later Electronic and Lightning Seeds.

Falco was totally my jam! This may inspire me to search out his albums on CD now... :D

Hey Webmaster

#11 Post by Hey Webmaster »

james23_uk wrote: Tue 23 Mar 2021, 8:05 pm Very weirdly many of my top bands have turned out to be beasts of longevity. PSB, Erasure, Peter Gabriel, James, Placebo to name but a few. Often wondered whether it's coincidence or there is somehow a link?
Good music and good musicians is the answer!
I can include New Order and Tears For Fears in your list. These are bands that may be still "alive" if some internal problems with its members haven´t happened.

G_Goalden

#12 Post by G_Goalden »

Gabby wrote: Tue 23 Mar 2021, 1:48 pm "Wow, did I ever back the right horse back in 1985".
Yep, a phrase I have often uttered to myself. I may have strayed at times (my 1988-91 Indie/Madchester phase), but they are the band I constantly come back to. Maybe this is because they are still recording and touring - and that a 'new product' is only ever a minimum of 24 months or so away.

I heard a couple of tracks from the 'My Beautiful Laundrette' soundtrack today and they sounded great. It's the diversity of sounds and styles that I like. Orchestras, Dance tracks, ballads - you never know what you are going to get. None of us know what 'Cricket Wife' will sound like - how exciting is that?

G.
Birmingham 1989 | Blackpool & Birmingham 1991| Savoy 1997 | Sheffield 1999 | Middlesbrough 2002 | Manchester 2006/9 | Manchester 2013 | ROH 2016 | RAH 2017

Marie loves PSB

#13 Post by Marie loves PSB »

We have been really lucky to still have P.S.B's around and I am making the very most of it! :up: Around 1997 "Number One" magazine said it would be the year P.S.B's would quit. And it seemed every where you looked and you were a P.S.B's fan it said "P.S.B's will never play live". Then we had the wonderful 1989 Concert. My memory is bad but, I still remember some of the concert. I was around 11 or 12. :D

Gabby

#14 Post by Gabby »

Marie loves PSB wrote: Thu 25 Mar 2021, 9:24 am We have been really lucky to still have P.S.B's around and I am making the very most of it! :up: Around 1997 "Number One" magazine said it would be the year P.S.B's would quit. And it seemed every where you looked and you were a P.S.B's fan it said "P.S.B's will never play live". Then we had the wonderful 1989 Concert. My memory is bad but, I still remember some of the concert. I was around 11 or 12. :D
Although I was a fan at that time I had absolutely no idea about their first tour - completely passed me by - which I deeply regret. I only ended up seeing the Performance tour because my sister bought tickets for the NEC.

I just wasn't overly connected with the music press I guess. Thank goodness for t'interweb! Now I never miss a tour (except Pandemonium, which to my chagrin their Ontario date was part of a 2 day festival and just wasn't my bag, so decided to give it a miss - if they'd played a venue in Toronto, I'd have been all over it).

I remember seeing a few headlines about PSB splitting or quitting but never got the impression it was ever that serious. Likely someone spilled to the press some flippant remark Neil or Chris made about calling it a day.

Marie loves PSB

#15 Post by Marie loves PSB »

Gabby wrote: Thu 25 Mar 2021, 1:33 pm
Marie loves PSB wrote: Thu 25 Mar 2021, 9:24 am We have been really lucky to still have P.S.B's around and I am making the very most of it! :up: Around 1997 "Number One" magazine said it would be the year P.S.B's would quit. And it seemed every where you looked and you were a P.S.B's fan it said "P.S.B's will never play live". Then we had the wonderful 1989 Concert. My memory is bad but, I still remember some of the concert. I was around 11 or 12. :D
Although I was a fan at that time I had absolutely no idea about their first tour - completely passed me by - which I deeply regret. I only ended up seeing the Performance tour because my sister bought tickets for the NEC.

I just wasn't overly connected with the music press I guess. Thank goodness for t'interweb! Now I never miss a tour (except Pandemonium, which to my chagrin their Ontario date was part of a 2 day festival and just wasn't my bag, so decided to give it a miss - if they'd played a venue in Toronto, I'd have been all over it).

I remember seeing a few headlines about PSB splitting or quitting but never got the impression it was ever that serious. Likely someone spilled to the press some flippant remark Neil or Chris made about calling it a day.
I only found out about the 1st ever tour because of a neighbour put a note through our door. I was so lucky. I haven't been to many concerts as for lot of the time I was too ill to travel and now we are pipe and slippers without the pipe! lol.. We have tried to make the most of it. :D