60 second breakdown film

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Sage

Re: 60 second breakdown film

#16 Post by Sage »

What's with the UK and casting unsightly, hideous people for film.
It's a bit offensive to watch.

What's this ad anyway, don't you people have emergency lanes.
So ridiculous to have to keep driving until the junction. In my country there's a lane on the side reserved for this.

rashomon

#17 Post by rashomon »

Sage ... we are all hideous here in the UK

Please do not ever visit us ... you wouldn’t like it.
you could say conventional ... and I could claim intentional

tottenhammattspurs

#18 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

Marie loves PSB wrote: Sat 13 Mar 2021, 10:59 am
tottenhammattspurs wrote: Thu 11 Mar 2021, 10:43 am Fresh from dressing up as a policeman and eating Haribo's.....
Lol... I am sure the Haribo eating Policeman used to be in a programme called "Bread" when he was much younger. :)
Yep. One of the Boswells. Also in Goodnight Sweetheart.
is is and isnt isnt

Old Soak

#20 Post by Old Soak »

Sage wrote: Sat 13 Mar 2021, 12:20 pm What's with the UK and casting unsightly, hideous people for film.

So ridiculous to have to keep driving until the junction. In my country there's a lane on the side reserved for this.
It depends. Dual Carriageways (which allow learner drivers and slow moving agricultural traffic) usually don't. You may get a one metre wide 'gutter' and the occasional lay by. Motorways (or 'Freeways' to our US readership) are usually three, and occasionally two or four lanes with a 'Hard Shoulder' - a spare lane for breakdowns. That's where the trouble starts. Capacity has been reached on some at rush hour, and so they utilise 'intelligent' (an oxymoron if ever there was one) running to open the hard shoulder up using overhead gantry signage, which is the problem because breakdown and you are at serious risk from the unobservant coming fast from behind. Traffic cameras are 'supposed' to pick this up and close the lane - too late for traffic that has just passed the last gantry. It's been the cause of some fatal accidents. Often around cities there just isn't the land to built an eight lane 'Freeway' like you have in the US. Personally I'd double decker the M6 around Birmingham between J10 and J5 as an alternative, it could hardly make the area around the motorway any more of an eyesore...

There's definitely a trend towards casting 'ordinary' people in adverts rather than obvious models, but presumably you notice the standard of British dentistry first!
And at the end/ Your funny Uncle staring / At all your friends / With military bearing

boyjohn

#21 Post by boyjohn »

They probably figure that a life is worth a couple million, but building a new lane (if even possible) is in the hundreds of millions. And cars don't break down as nearly as much as they used to. So, it's a calculated gamble. Of course, breaking down on any high speed motorway can be a scary experience, even with shoulders.

We have a few freeways in urban areas that were built in the 1950s that were expanded later from 2 to 3 lanes using the shoulder that have no shoulder now for some sections.
“Unless you consciously include, you will unconsciously exclude”
-Stephen Frost

daveid

#22 Post by daveid »

Sage wrote: Sat 13 Mar 2021, 12:20 pm What's with the UK and casting unsightly, hideous people for film.

They only cast beautiful people when they're trying to sell you something. It's ugly people when they're trying to say "listen here you worthless piece of working class shit, follow the rules for your own good" And I quite unintentionally included two PSB song titles in that rant.

daveid

#23 Post by daveid »

The Tories are utterly insane in case you didn't know. They were warned across the board not to do this but they did it anyway and of course it's up to us to take responsibility so they don't have to. Big society, small government, little insignificant UK ruling the world in its sad little dreams.

tottenhammattspurs

#24 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

I'm bloody glad they do! Otherwise, I'd never have appeared in dozens of adverts and the odd pop video during the 00s.

I'm sure you're no oil painting Sage, you rude Fecker!
is is and isnt isnt

Marie loves PSB

#25 Post by Marie loves PSB »

tottenhammattspurs wrote: Sun 14 Mar 2021, 8:54 am
Marie loves PSB wrote: Sat 13 Mar 2021, 10:59 am
tottenhammattspurs wrote: Thu 11 Mar 2021, 10:43 am Fresh from dressing up as a policeman and eating Haribo's.....
Lol... I am sure the Haribo eating Policeman used to be in a programme called "Bread" when he was much younger. :)
Yep. One of the Boswells. Also in Goodnight Sweetheart.
Thank you for letting me know Tottenhammattspurs. :)

Marie loves PSB

#26 Post by Marie loves PSB »

rashomon wrote: Sat 13 Mar 2021, 3:40 pm Sage ... we are all hideous here in the UK

Please do not ever visit us ... you wouldn’t like it.
Rashomon - you have made me smile so much with this! :mrgreen: