Recording of DJ Culture and Was It Worth It?

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Message
Author
User avatar
daveid
Posts: 2953
Joined: Sat 11 Feb 2006, 9:38 am
Contact:

Re: Recording of DJ Culture and Was It Worth It?

#31 Post by daveid »

OakeyDokey wrote: Sat 27 Feb 2021, 12:59 pm Great write-up Drico. You should be busying yourself with a book on the PSB. We're yet to have an unofficial tome that does them credit.
Why do you think he vanished for two years?

User avatar
y3potential
Posts: 1065
Joined: Wed 20 Jul 2011, 8:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Recording of DJ Culture and Was It Worth It?

#32 Post by y3potential »

Hindsight (as they say) is a wonderful thing and looking back now I wonder if holding Discography back by another 6 months a year would have made any difference. As has been mentioned before, PSB had already released a lot of product, Behaviour, 4 singles and the Performance tour in the previous 12 months and then a greatest hits package with two new singles was perhaps just too much for your average consumer or casual fan to digest.. That said, DJ Culture has always been a favourite of mine but I've always been disappointed they removed the "wondering who's you're friend" line from the 12"
There is beauty in ugliness and ugliness in beauty.

User avatar
Gabby
Posts: 743
Joined: Sun 17 Jan 2016, 6:31 pm
Contact:

Re: Recording of DJ Culture and Was It Worth It?

#33 Post by Gabby »

y3potential wrote: Sat 27 Feb 2021, 3:25 pm I've always been disappointed they removed the "wondering who's you're friend" line from the 12"
I'd forgotten about that and agree. A great line in the song completely removed from the otherwise fabulous 12" mix.

Disco.
Posts: 1703
Joined: Sat 08 Oct 2011, 11:02 pm
Contact:

Re: Recording of DJ Culture and Was It Worth It?

#34 Post by Disco. »

They should have kept Where the streets... for a single for Discography, instead of releasing it when they did. That was the original plan.

User avatar
y3potential
Posts: 1065
Joined: Wed 20 Jul 2011, 8:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Recording of DJ Culture and Was It Worth It?

#35 Post by y3potential »

Disco. wrote: Sat 27 Feb 2021, 4:49 pm They should have kept Where the streets... for a single for Discography, instead of releasing it when they did. That was the original plan.
My understanding is they were concerned about the poor chart performance of Being Boring and with Behaviour not exactly flying off the shelves, brought forward Streets as a sort of shot in the arm for the Performance Tour..
There is beauty in ugliness and ugliness in beauty.

Disco.
Posts: 1703
Joined: Sat 08 Oct 2011, 11:02 pm
Contact:

Re: Recording of DJ Culture and Was It Worth It?

#36 Post by Disco. »

Yes, but it was originally recorded for Discography.
And Behaviour was a disappointment(commercially) but still sold 2.5 million.

User avatar
telys
Posts: 402
Joined: Tue 23 Jun 2015, 9:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Recording of DJ Culture and Was It Worth It?

#37 Post by telys »

y3potential wrote: Sat 27 Feb 2021, 3:25 pm Hindsight (as they say) is a wonderful thing and looking back now I wonder if holding Discography back by another 6 months a year would have made any difference. As has been mentioned before, PSB had already released a lot of product, Behaviour, 4 singles and the Performance tour in the previous 12 months and then a greatest hits package with two new singles was perhaps just too much for your average consumer or casual fan to digest..
Spot on. They should've postponed Introspective as well and released an ITCHH-soundtrack album in 1988 with Always on my mind and King's Cross as singles.

Introspective could've been released late 1989 fleshed out with I get excited.
Behaviour in 1991 and then Discography in 1992.
----
You've got me all wrong

User avatar
matt74uk
Posts: 86
Joined: Thu 30 Oct 2003, 12:11 am
Contact:

Re: Recording of DJ Culture and Was It Worth It?

#38 Post by matt74uk »

y3potential wrote: Sat 27 Feb 2021, 3:25 pm That said, DJ Culture has always been a favourite of mine but I've always been disappointed they removed the "wondering who's you're friend" line from the 12"
I'd never noticed that! At least we get the added "I just thought I'd mention it" to balance it out.

TwizzleUK
Posts: 259
Joined: Sat 25 Feb 2006, 12:22 am
Contact:

Re: Recording of DJ Culture and Was It Worth It?

#39 Post by TwizzleUK »

Didn't they record DJ Culture with Brothers in Rhythm first, then got Stephen Hague to do additional production for the single mix? Explains why the Brothers in Rhythm twelve inch mix appears on Behaviour further listening before the single mix. Perhaps additional lyrics were added at the time of the additional production?

User avatar
y3potential
Posts: 1065
Joined: Wed 20 Jul 2011, 8:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Recording of DJ Culture and Was It Worth It?

#40 Post by y3potential »

telys wrote: Sat 27 Feb 2021, 7:38 pm
y3potential wrote: Sat 27 Feb 2021, 3:25 pm Hindsight (as they say) is a wonderful thing and looking back now I wonder if holding Discography back by another 6 months a year would have made any difference. As has been mentioned before, PSB had already released a lot of product, Behaviour, 4 singles and the Performance tour in the previous 12 months and then a greatest hits package with two new singles was perhaps just too much for your average consumer or casual fan to digest..
Spot on. They should've postponed Introspective as well and released an ITCHH-soundtrack album in 1988 with Always on my mind and King's Cross as singles.

Introspective could've been released late 1989 fleshed out with I get excited.
Behaviour in 1991 and then Discography in 1992.

I don't want to slide too much off topic, but yes, I've always felt Introspective was rushed out far too soon after the Actually period. It was probably to capitalise on the Brits Best Band award, but it only seemed like 5 minutes after Heart had been number 1. Again with hindsight, I would have started the Introspective campaign with Devices in Jan/Feb '89, the album itself in the March/ April followed by Domino Dancing to coincide with the Summer U.K. tour finishing with a double A Side of It's Alright/I'm Not Scared in the autumn, post tour. Pure fantasy on my part and I'm well aware you cannot rewrite history..
Last edited by y3potential on Sat 27 Feb 2021, 8:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
There is beauty in ugliness and ugliness in beauty.

User avatar
y3potential
Posts: 1065
Joined: Wed 20 Jul 2011, 8:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Recording of DJ Culture and Was It Worth It?

#41 Post by y3potential »

[quote=y3
Last edited by y3potential on Sat 27 Feb 2021, 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is beauty in ugliness and ugliness in beauty.

User avatar
y3potential
Posts: 1065
Joined: Wed 20 Jul 2011, 8:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Recording of DJ Culture and Was It Worth It?

#42 Post by y3potential »

[quote=
There is beauty in ugliness and ugliness in beauty.

User avatar
Patrick Bateman
Posts: 9044
Joined: Sat 12 Apr 2008, 4:35 pm
Contact:

Re: Recording of DJ Culture and Was It Worth It?

#43 Post by Patrick Bateman »

y3potential wrote: Sat 27 Feb 2021, 8:33 pmI don't want to slide too much off topic, but yes, I've always felt Introspective was rushed out far too soon after the Actually period. It was probably to capitalise on the Brits Best Band award, but it only seemed like 5 minutes after Heart had been number 1. Again with hindsight, I would have started the Introspective campaign with Devices in Jan/Feb '89, the album itself in the March/ April followed by Domino Dancing to coincide with the Summer U.K. tour finishing with a double A Side of It's Alright/I'm Not Scared in the autumn, post tour. Pure fantasy on my part and I'm well aware you cannot rewrite history..
When you're as popular as they were at their commercial peak, you don't wait to release new product. Introspective wasn't exactly overstretching them in terms of songwriting - two cover versions (one of which had already been the previous year's Christmas number one), a b-side and a song that had already been released by Eighth Wonder earlier that year. Domino Dancing and Left To My Own Devices are the only two brand new Tennant-Lowe compositions, and considering how many of the songs on Actually had been written several years earlier, and it being a year since it came out, Introspective was perfectly timed to capitalise on their imperial success. Plus Domino Dancing is a summer song and Left To My Own Devices feels autumnal - though that would work with your timeline too. :shifty:

User avatar
Gabby
Posts: 743
Joined: Sun 17 Jan 2016, 6:31 pm
Contact:

Re: Recording of DJ Culture and Was It Worth It?

#44 Post by Gabby »

Patrick Bateman wrote: Sat 27 Feb 2021, 10:16 pm
y3potential wrote: Sat 27 Feb 2021, 8:33 pmI don't want to slide too much off topic, but yes, I've always felt Introspective was rushed out far too soon after the Actually period. It was probably to capitalise on the Brits Best Band award, but it only seemed like 5 minutes after Heart had been number 1. Again with hindsight, I would have started the Introspective campaign with Devices in Jan/Feb '89, the album itself in the March/ April followed by Domino Dancing to coincide with the Summer U.K. tour finishing with a double A Side of It's Alright/I'm Not Scared in the autumn, post tour. Pure fantasy on my part and I'm well aware you cannot rewrite history..
When you're as popular as they were at their commercial peak, you don't wait to release new product. Introspective wasn't exactly overstretching them in terms of songwriting - two cover versions (one of which had already been the previous year's Christmas number one), a b-side and a song that had already been released by Eighth Wonder earlier that year. Domino Dancing and Left To My Own Devices are the only two brand new Tennant-Lowe compositions, and considering how many of the songs on Actually had been written several years earlier, and it being a year since it came out, Introspective was perfectly timed to capitalise on their imperial success. Plus Domino Dancing is a summer song and Left To My Own Devices feels autumnal - though that would work with your timeline too. :shifty:
Domino Dancing was released in September and TOTALLY missed the summer sensation it so excellently captures. I always felt like that was a missed opportunity - had it been released in May or June, just before the UK school summer holidays, it would have been real a summer smash.

PSBForTheMasses
Posts: 330
Joined: Fri 14 Sep 2012, 7:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Recording of DJ Culture and Was It Worth It?

#45 Post by PSBForTheMasses »

Patrick Bateman wrote: Sat 27 Feb 2021, 10:16 pm
y3potential wrote: Sat 27 Feb 2021, 8:33 pmI don't want to slide too much off topic, but yes, I've always felt Introspective was rushed out far too soon after the Actually period. It was probably to capitalise on the Brits Best Band award, but it only seemed like 5 minutes after Heart had been number 1. Again with hindsight, I would have started the Introspective campaign with Devices in Jan/Feb '89, the album itself in the March/ April followed by Domino Dancing to coincide with the Summer U.K. tour finishing with a double A Side of It's Alright/I'm Not Scared in the autumn, post tour. Pure fantasy on my part and I'm well aware you cannot rewrite history..
When you're as popular as they were at their commercial peak, you don't wait to release new product. Introspective wasn't exactly overstretching them in terms of songwriting - two cover versions (one of which had already been the previous year's Christmas number one), a b-side and a song that had already been released by Eighth Wonder earlier that year. Domino Dancing and Left To My Own Devices are the only two brand new Tennant-Lowe compositions, and considering how many of the songs on Actually had been written several years earlier, and it being a year since it came out, Introspective was perfectly timed to capitalise on their imperial success. Plus Domino Dancing is a summer song and Left To My Own Devices feels autumnal - though that would work with your timeline too. :shifty:
IMHO, that's probably why they released Domino dancing as the first single, thinking that whatever the song might be, it would go straight to number one purely on the wings of the preceding sales performance. But at that time PSB was mostly a bombastic pop-dance singles act driven by high energy songs (compared to "their album songs are better than their singles and they are very intellectual pop pioneers" concept today), and the world was probably waiting for a song like Integral or Axis, which Introspective lacked except Left to my own devices but it was too long and its single version paled against the album version. Domino dancing should have followed such a High-Energy song the way WHDTDT and Rent followed It's a sin. I think they understood this misstep well and tried to make up things with So Hard from Behaviour (followed by BB) but the damage was done and, of course, the musical landscape had changed as well.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 43 guests