Recording of DJ Culture and Was It Worth It?

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
PSBForTheMasses

Re: Recording of DJ Culture and Was It Worth It?

#16 Post by PSBForTheMasses »

boyjohn wrote: Thu 25 Feb 2021, 9:19 pm The bridge elevates DJ Culture from a so-so song to greatness.
The same here. Otherwise a boring song but that bridge saves it.

A review of Discography after its release said something like that: "This is easily one of the best "best of" albums that should be in
every music lover's home. If only it was not for DJ Culture, I would give a starred 10 out of 10 but it has DJ Culture so it is 9 out of 10" Maybe Q?

telys

#17 Post by telys »

Hm, there's a whole Brothers in rhythm mini album hidden in the releases of 1991

DJ Culture (remix)
Seriously (remix)
We all feel (remix)
Was it worth it
Seriously (classical reprise)

+ Go West (remix)

DJ Culture is divisive but it is one of the intellectual high points of their career. Social commentary and Neil typically referencing episodes from history.
----
You've got me all wrong

oakey

#18 Post by oakey »

leesmapman wrote: Thu 25 Feb 2021, 6:51 pm Personally, I think DJ Culture is one of their weakest singles, but I'm odd like that.
No you're not. Did not like the song, and hated the video. Still do.

Gabby

#19 Post by Gabby »

oakey wrote: Fri 26 Feb 2021, 5:35 pm
leesmapman wrote: Thu 25 Feb 2021, 6:51 pm Personally, I think DJ Culture is one of their weakest singles, but I'm odd like that.
No you're not. Did not like the song, and hated the video. Still do.
OK, so the video IS an odd duck but respectfully disagree on the song. I have always really liked it.

stopthecar

#20 Post by stopthecar »

I love the scratching parts on the extended mix od DJ Culture.

Tom Angel

#21 Post by Tom Angel »

To be fair the 12" extended mix is FAR better it's got more space and feels less busy and cluttered. It definitely benefits from the stretching and the definitely the scratching. I agree, it's ace. It's still the Grid mix every time.
I"m glad the extended mix did make Behaviour further listening and even comes before the rather non-essential 7" mix. To thong they could have put the 9min extended mix of This must be the place I waited years to leave instead..
in suits or sequins/or twin sets and pearls

OakeyDokey

#22 Post by OakeyDokey »

7" mixes are always essential as they are invariably the single/radio edit version, most-commonly played/known.

domino

#23 Post by domino »

I'm a fan of Was it worth it? though it's pretty bubblegum pop and straightforward. I think it should be performed more often (fingers crossed for GH tour).

As for DJ culture, I'm on the side of people thinking it's one of their wekeast singles. Nevertheless, it's a single! Give it a try and enjoy the fabulous b-side at least. ;)

I would like to hear it in a moody section of a live tour (would've fitted on cubism).
A blues would be in B flat, pain defining wisdom,
but the soul is in the high hat, programmed in the system.

daveid

#24 Post by daveid »

I like DJ culture a lot. It's obviously not a stomper but it's sophisticated lyrically and sonically and as people have said the bridge is marvellous. Was it worth it is probably the weakest track in Discography, a sort of prelude to the Very era but lacking the charm. They must have been b-side themselves with miserablism when it hit 24.

Drico One

#25 Post by Drico One »

I like both singles - a lot. They suffer a little because they signify the end of the greatest collection of singles in pop history. Indeed, I'd argue that Jealousy suffers from the same fate, as, to a lesser extent, does Where the streets have no name/Can't take my eyes off of you. The bubble popped at Being boring. That was rejected by the public, if not by the core fanbase.

There's an argument that if you replaced DJ Culture and Was it worth it? with Can you forgive her? and Go West, you'd be very close to having the definitive PSB singles collection - certainly in commercial terms. Artistically, while both of those 1993 singles are easily among the top 10 PSB singles of all time (I think I have them top 5), I think there's a fair chance that at least one of them would not have gone top 10 had they been released at the end of 1991. The PSB tide was out after six years of success and six singles in 15 months.

Taking account of the prevailing winds, DJ Culture and Was it worth it? are immersive singles in their own right. The former is a philosophical, though slightly obscure, overly clever treatise on cynical recycling as ersatz substitute for authenticity and innovation, while the latter is a sincere romp that serves as a vehicle to belatedly burst out of the closet, straight-jacket, or shadows and into a world of adventure and hope.

The wall of sound on DJ Culture wraps the carefully enunciated Tennant wit in a dark, industrial sheen, presenting him as an iconoclastic mage critiquing a cybernetic wasteland. The contrast with Was it worth it? couldn't be more pronounced. The vibrant energy almost explodes from that track as if to signify the final much-delayed surging escape of fizzy pent-up longing. I think both singles complement each other wonderfully and demonstrate the contrary magic of a band that had done it all and would go on to so much more than we ever could have dreamt of in that autumn 30 years ago.

Drico.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

daveid

#26 Post by daveid »

Drico One wrote: Sat 27 Feb 2021, 11:30 am I like both singles - a lot. They suffer a little because they signify the end of the greatest collection of singles in pop history. Indeed, I'd argue that Jealousy suffers from the same fate, as, to a lesser extent, does Where the streets have no name/Can't take my eyes off of you. The bubble popped at Being boring. That was rejected by the public, if not by the core fanbase.

There's an argument that if you replaced DJ Culture and Was it worth it? with Can you forgive her? and Go West, you'd be very close to having the definitive PSB singles collection - certainly in commercial terms. Artistically, while both of those 1993 singles are easily among the top 10 PSB singles of all time (I think I have them top 5), I think there's a fair chance that at least one of them would not have gone top 10 had they been released at the end of 1991. The PSB tide was out after six years of success and six singles in 15 months.

Taking account of the prevailing winds, DJ Culture and Was it worth it? are immersive singles in their own right. The former is a philosophical, though slightly obscure, overly clever treatise on cynical recycling as ersatz substitute for authenticity and innovation, while the latter is a sincere romp that serves as a vehicle to belatedly burst out of the closet, straight-jacket, or shadows and into a world of adventure and hope.

The wall of sound on DJ Culture wraps the carefully enunciated Tennant wit in a dark, industrial sheen, presenting him as an iconoclastic mage critiquing a cybernetic wasteland. The contrast with Was it worth it? couldn't be more pronounced. The vibrant energy almost explodes from that track as if to signify the final much-delayed surging escape of fizzy pent-up longing. I think both singles complement each other wonderfully and demonstrate the contrary magic of a band that had done it all and would go on to so much more than we ever could have dreamt of in that autumn 30 years ago.

Drico.
The Beatles had a pretty good collection of singles over 6 years too didn't they?

Drico One

#27 Post by Drico One »

daveid wrote: Sat 27 Feb 2021, 11:49 am
Drico One wrote: Sat 27 Feb 2021, 11:30 am I like both singles - a lot. They suffer a little because they signify the end of the greatest collection of singles in pop history. Indeed, I'd argue that Jealousy suffers from the same fate, as, to a lesser extent, does Where the streets have no name/Can't take my eyes off of you. The bubble popped at Being boring. That was rejected by the public, if not by the core fanbase.

Drico.
The Beatles had a pretty good collection of singles over 6 years too didn't they?
And what of them? So did Abba and the Bee Gees and so many more great bands. I have no issue declaring the Pets as the greatest of them all. I'm not looking for consensus here. I just know what I like. The delights of subjective personal preference. I take a football supporter's view of pop music: my club is the greatest and means the most to me, even if it hasn't won quite as many trophies as Real Madrid. Up the Toffees!

Drico.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

OakeyDokey

#28 Post by OakeyDokey »

Great write-up Drico. You should be busying yourself with a book on the PSB. We're yet to have an unofficial tome that does them credit.

Patrick Bateman

#29 Post by Patrick Bateman »

daveid wrote: Sat 27 Feb 2021, 11:49 amThe Beatles had a pretty good collection of singles over 6 years too didn't they?
I reckon the Blue Album would be one of the greatest compilations ever, even if not all the tracks are singles. Incredible that it represents only three years.

Patrick Bateman

#30 Post by Patrick Bateman »

Miracles is the best of their compilation singles. I like DJ Culture but it's far too abstruse for a one-off single to trail a greatest hits package. Ideally, you'd want something more visceral and in your face. Arguably, Was It Worth It? would have been a better choice as it's far less challenging to the casual listener. Though as Drico points out, it probably still would have got to number 13 for one week.