PSB vs Daft Punk

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
retrofuturist

Re: PSB vs Daft Punk

#16 Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

They had some good singles, but not a lot off their albums really did it for me. Digital Love always seemed a bit of an under-rated gem.

And since this is supposedly as "vs PSB" topic, I'll just say that Daft Punk were pretty schmick with the production skills and knob-twiddling, but not so good on the lyrics, chords and melodies of Pet Shop Boys. If "Time On My Hands" were a collaboration with Daft Punk, I think that would have fulfilled its potential better.

Retro. :)

PopKid78

#17 Post by PopKid78 »

I wonder if they ever did ask Daft Punk to remix a single.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spittingcat

#19 Post by Spittingcat »

Oooo.... I want to hear that done properly now!

EDIT: not a criticism of the person who created that mashup... just that they didn't have a clean dry source for the vocals.

Future Lover

#20 Post by Future Lover »

@PSBForTheMasses great job! The vocals were always the worst part of "Within".

geowayne

#21 Post by geowayne »

This is just my opinion -- and I'm terribly biased, of course -- but I've never understood how some (many?) critics' polls have rated Daft Punk higher than PSB (as they have indeed done at times) by virtue of ANY reckoning. Yes, I like some things Daft Punk have done, but they simply can't compare to PSB in terms of overall sustained quality, output, imagination, influence, lyrics, songcraft, … you name it. To me it's like saying cheesecake is better than French cuisine -- or, if you don't care for French cuisine yourself, substitute whatever national cuisine *is* your overall favorite.

Gabby

#22 Post by Gabby »

geowayne wrote: Thu 04 Mar 2021, 12:22 am This is just my opinion -- and I'm terribly biased, of course -- but I've never understood how some (many?) critics' polls have rated Daft Punk higher than PSB (as they have indeed done at times) by virtue of ANY reckoning. Yes, I like some things Daft Punk have done, but they simply can't compare to PSB in terms of overall sustained quality, output, imagination, influence, lyrics, songcraft, … you name it. To me it's like saying cheesecake is better than French cuisine -- or, if you don't care for French cuisine yourself, substitute whatever national cuisine *is* your overall favorite.
Eloquently put. 100% agree, and no I think bias has little to do with it actually.

PSBForTheMasses

#23 Post by PSBForTheMasses »

geowayne wrote: Thu 04 Mar 2021, 12:22 am This is just my opinion -- and I'm terribly biased, of course -- but I've never understood how some (many?) critics' polls have rated Daft Punk higher than PSB (as they have indeed done at times) by virtue of ANY reckoning. Yes, I like some things Daft Punk have done, but they simply can't compare to PSB in terms of overall sustained quality, output, imagination, influence, lyrics, songcraft, … you name it. To me it's like saying cheesecake is better than French cuisine -- or, if you don't care for French cuisine yourself, substitute whatever national cuisine *is* your overall favorite.
Ahh couldn't say better :)

G_Goalden

#24 Post by G_Goalden »

Thats a great re-interpretation. I love it when PSB songs are reimagined like this - especially when it involves a piano (How can you expect to be taken seriously?, London).

I’ve love a four song set in the tour where they did this with some of their songs. Ones you wouldn’t expect So Hard, Can You Forgive Her, Opportunities.

Just to keep this on thread - yeh Daft Punk are over-rated. I own that popular album - the one with One More Time on it - and listed again recently. Hardly earth shattering - and nowhere near the likes of chemical brother, Orbital underworld.
Birmingham 1989 | Blackpool & Birmingham 1991| Savoy 1997 | Sheffield 1999 | Middlesbrough 2002 | Manchester 2006/9 | Manchester 2013 | ROH 2016 | RAH 2017

Future Lover

#25 Post by Future Lover »

It's just the rockist attitude really - they were electronic producers slash rockstars. Several of their song had this seriously aggressive vibe, such as "Rollin' and Scratchin'" and the entire "Human After All" album. Not to mention the best one of all - "Aerodynamic", which used electric guitar in a manner similar to a string instrument. Listening to their live albums, you can tell it's more of an aggressive beat compared to their more contemplative works. The 2007 tour being the spectacle that it was is probably the reason for the reverence. The Boys never really had that. And you can tell how Justice, another French band, recognized this and made it a defining characteristic of their whole approach.
After being a fan for many years, yet recognizing some of their flaws, I've had enough once the confetti from "Random Access Memories" were cleaned and I realized what a bunch of hot air it all was. A pure antithesis to why electronic and disco music was necessary - it was instead an attempt to transplant it into macho rockist attitudes once again and spray it with a sheen of masculine cool. It was Disco Demolition Night in album form, this time as appropriation.

One of the crowd

#26 Post by One of the crowd »

I had their early 12" singles they issued on SOMA and I was fortunate enough to see Daft Punk support The Chemical Brothers in October 1995 at The Astoria (the same gig Keith Flint got on stage and tripped the main power lead).

It was raw, fresh and then they released Homework..BOOM!

Discovery is also a fantastic album and I love their cut up's of Manilow vocals etc but upon release of Robot Rock it was all downhill for me

There's a couple of tracks from RAM I like but thats about it.

The solo stuff Bangalter put out on Roule is better than Daft Punk IMO

They wont really be missed in this household.
Fishing