Sophie Ellis Bextor - It’s a Sin

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
PSBForTheMasses

Re: Sophie Ellis Bextor - It’s a Sin

#31 Post by PSBForTheMasses »

tottenhammattspurs wrote: Sat 20 Feb 2021, 1:11 pm For a sheer beautiful heart string pulling wonderful song, seek out “Unrequited” from her “Familia” album. Bought a lump to my throat.
Thank you. Actually, I have never understood why she has not exploded the way Kylie did it although she got the looks, got the brawn, got the brains and a way better voice...

Dog

#32 Post by Dog »

She’s ace.
Woof.

telys

#33 Post by telys »

PSBForTheMasses wrote: Sat 20 Feb 2021, 6:37 pm
tottenhammattspurs wrote: Sat 20 Feb 2021, 1:11 pm For a sheer beautiful heart string pulling wonderful song, seek out “Unrequited” from her “Familia” album. Bought a lump to my throat.
Thank you. Actually, I have never understood why she has not exploded the way Kylie did it although she got the looks, got the brawn, got the brains and a way better voice...
Perhaps because she's got five children. Rearing five kids takes a lot of time and energy and is most certainly more rewarding than the public lifestyle of Kylie. In the end Kylie has nothing compared to SEB.
On the other hand SEB has combined family with a quite successful career... six really good albums is more than most of us will accomplish.
----
You've got me all wrong

telys

#34 Post by telys »

canveyboy wrote: Sat 20 Feb 2021, 1:18 am Hi everyone
In her latest Friday Kitchen Disco, the wonderful Sophie Ellis-Bextor performs a ‘KARAOKE’ version of Its a Sin.
I was dead tired of remakes of It's a sin way before this recent trend. I loved that song when it came out in '87 but after quickly discovering the other PSB songs It's a sin quickly fell sharply on my list of favourite songs. The lyrics aren't that good. The Miami mix and part of the extended mix are still really cool though.
----
You've got me all wrong

Spittingcat

#35 Post by Spittingcat »

She was also the warm up act on a PSB tour.
Yes, she supported them when I saw them in Brighton. Didn’t realise (they’d given up on ‘support’ acts for many years previously) and only heard her last song when we were entering the building.

jasonjohn

#36 Post by jasonjohn »

She's terrific!

Gabby

#37 Post by Gabby »

I've never entirely got on with SEB. Her voice is definitely distinctive, as mentioned, but not my cup of tea. The video was cute with all the kids running around and surly almost teenager off to the side, 😆

It was kind of karaoke like though to be fair. I'd be interested to see her do some PSB in a studio environment. They should produce an EP with her.

PSBForTheMasses

#38 Post by PSBForTheMasses »

I just read that before the Boys, she was also a warm-up act for Erasure. Why neither of PSB or Erasure has ever collaborated with her is interesting.

OakeyDokey

#39 Post by OakeyDokey »

Soph did a great cover of Pulp's Do You Remember The First Time a few years ago.

Dog

#40 Post by Dog »

And Getting Away With It:

https://youtu.be/tloZq2ax25M

And True Faith:

https://youtu.be/HUOzEhij-TQ
Woof.

Gabby

#41 Post by Gabby »

Dog wrote: Tue 23 Feb 2021, 4:57 pm And Getting Away With It:

And True Faith:

https://youtu.be/HUOzEhij-TQ
OK, she should def do something with the Boys. That "Getting Away With It" cover is sublime!

matt74uk

#42 Post by matt74uk »

oooo that's really nice. It's posted from early 2019 too before any Kitchen Discos, so where is this cover version from?

Dog

#43 Post by Dog »

matt74uk wrote:

oooo that's really nice. It's posted from early 2019 too before any Kitchen Discos, so where is this cover version from?
Live on Dermot O’Leary’s Radio 2 show, July 2010.
Woof.

retrofuturist

#44 Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
Gabby wrote: Sat 20 Feb 2021, 3:54 pm Well, this thread went sideways fast for no reason. Is nobody entitled to an opinion on this forum?
No. How dare you. In 2021, if you don't like something, it's hate speech and you deserve to be cancelled. :lol:

As for Sophie, she's cool, even though my interest in her output dropped quickly after her debut solo album. Her old indie band from the 1990's, Theaudience has a really awesome b-side called You & Me On The Run. Hard to find now, but it had a really good energy to it.

Retro. :)

minimal

#45 Post by minimal »

Personally speaking, I've got to admit that it's quite possibly the most annoying cover version / video I've seen in quite some time as it's basically some highly uninterested and confused kids standing around a somewhat second class karaoke singer with a jump on the bandwagon performance. Honestly, I find that highly embarrassing in terms of ... well, everything. This clearly isn't what pop music is actually about.

m+