Pet Shop Boys Discord

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Future Lover

Pet Shop Boys Discord

#1 Post by Future Lover »

Since I believe my time here to be over soon, I've created a Discord server. A much more modern medium, if you agree. It's a seamless registration, and you can be as anonymous as here. The link expires in 24h, but I will be posting them daily for as long as I can.
https://discord.gg/hBeCV6z3
Feel free to join me for real-time discussion, and dystopian levels of banning trolls.

leesmapman

Re: Pet Shop Boys Discord

#2 Post by leesmapman »

Is Discord something like IRC back in the 90s?

Future Lover

#3 Post by Future Lover »

Yep, more or less. Obviously much prettier, voice/video chats are also allowed, most things you can think of.
Last edited by Future Lover on Wed 17 Feb 2021, 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

y3potential

#4 Post by y3potential »

Done. But why would your time here be "over soon..?"
There is beauty in ugliness and ugliness in beauty.

Future Lover

#5 Post by Future Lover »

Well, I do have a bit of a temper, and have been openly critical of the way this forum is administrated/moderated for quite a while. I suppose dragging people away from here isn't the best idea either.

Gabby

#6 Post by Gabby »

I understand your frustration with this forum - and I have my own mea culpa's to deal with here, even though I am not a frequent flier in the forum.

However, I wear my PSB fandom on my sleeve and it upsets me when other fans (and I specifically DO NOT say that with quotations because I truly believe we are genuinely fans here) get their backs up so easily. However, it's the way of the internet - it's no different on Twitter, Facebook, Insta, you name it.

The slightest opinion, and there are cries of trolling, racism, fascism, and of course homophobia - ffs, we're in a forum about a gay pop group who are outspoken about their political world views - it strikes me everyone here should be comfortable with that, so why is the default always an assumption it's hatred or an attack? I've seen perfectly innocent threads go to shite because of what seems to me could be simple misunderstandings, or language barrier issues, which then just escalate. It's so utterly needless.

All that said, I'm not ready to jump to another platform. Being here is like an additional layer to the already awesome PSB's own website, Geowayne (still miss the weekly polls though), and PSB-Catalogue (which helped me to catalogue my collection for Discogs last year brilliantly). I enjoy the repartee here (when it's friendly) and have picked up some really good info along the way.

OakeyDokey

#7 Post by OakeyDokey »

I thought this was the name of Neil and Chris' break-up PSB album.

tottenhammattspurs

#8 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

OakeyDokey wrote: Fri 12 Feb 2021, 3:21 pm I thought this was the name of Neil and Chris' break-up PSB album.
With bonus 2nd Cd of mixes:- Datcord. :lol:
is is and isnt isnt

Synthrobot

#9 Post by Synthrobot »

Gabby wrote: Fri 12 Feb 2021, 2:31 pm The slightest opinion, and there are cries of trolling, racism, fascism, and of course homophobia
Exactly! Some people are just waiting to jump on the least little thing you say. This can be a horrible place sometimes, but for the minority who spoilt it, the majority are here to talk about all the positive stuff.

Greendrake

#10 Post by Greendrake »

I can't really believe this sort of thing is happening in 2021 :D . So reminiscent of the good old 00s when forums like this were breeding and flourishing. Dudes (and madams too!) who didn't like the politics of a forum would buy hosting service, install their own forum — create "rival" forums as they were called, and then post a thread like this in a bid to get the audience moved over there :lol: . Such threads were often fiercely weeded out so that the dudes had to invite members via PMs. It was a whole culture back then, so romantic :dance:

I've been under the impression that forum internet audiences have mostly grown up from that, become wise and self-regulating. Unlike facebooks/twitters etc. audiences (mostly formed in the 10s), forum audiences mostly formed in the 00s and are much more experienced now. They have long ago passed that phase of astonishment, spleeny agitation and anguish at the existence of views and opinions distant from theirs. They have learnt that there is no need to attempt to convince the holders of those views to change them and accept yours. No need to throw labels, give diagnoses or advices, let alone go down as low as bullying or harassment. They're above all that. "Don't raise your voice — improve your argument. Or shut up and ignore" has been the unwritten golden rule for them.

But, by all means, good luck (even though I don't know how "a bit of a temper" can go along with the role of a successful administrator).

And, by the way, I think this thread should be in Off-topic.

retrofuturist

#11 Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
Greendrake wrote: Sat 13 Feb 2021, 12:37 am I can't really believe this sort of thing is happening in 2021 :D . So reminiscent of the good old 00s when forums like this were breeding and flourishing. Dudes (and madams too!) who didn't like the politics of a forum would buy hosting service, install their own forum — create "rival" forums as they were called, and then post a thread like this in a bid to get the audience moved over there :lol: . Such threads were often fiercely weeded out so that the dudes had to invite members via PMs. It was a whole culture back then, so romantic :dance:
True. Very subversive. I thank Future Lover for keeping the tradition alive.

Retro. :)

Future Lover

#12 Post by Future Lover »

Isn't it nice when the folks that taint this place self-select and out themselves? An arrogant word salad when you could've just said "yeah, we're proud of being terrible human beings without consequence". Your posts staying in place making you think your repugnant opinions are somehow valid... well honey, they ain't.

ZiggyPSB

#14 Post by ZiggyPSB »

Ah but in the 2000s, internet and social media wasn't as widespread and there isn't a group of people who live in their own little world where the only good people are white straight men and believe every bit of fake news that is fed to them by questionable sources.
I'm a proud sycophant because I like Wedding in Berlin
http://www.last.fm/user/FFancy24
Dublin 19/06/2011, Manchester 20/06/2013, Edinburgh 31/12/2013, London 23/07/2014, London 23/07/2016, London 02/04/2017

leesmapman

#15 Post by leesmapman »

Greendrake wrote: Sat 13 Feb 2021, 12:37 am I can't really believe this sort of thing is happening in 2021 :D . So reminiscent of the good old 00s when forums like this were breeding and flourishing. Dudes (and madams too!) who didn't like the politics of a forum would buy hosting service, install their own forum — create "rival" forums as they were called, and then post a thread like this in a bid to get the audience moved over there :lol: . Such threads were often fiercely weeded out so that the dudes had to invite members via PMs. It was a whole culture back then, so romantic :dance:
All wiped out by Facebook.