PSB - Vaccination

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
boyjohn

Re: PSB - Vaccination

#16 Post by boyjohn »

Tom Angel wrote: Fri 12 Feb 2021, 8:22 am The Prime Minister of Greece, whose economy depends on holidaymakers, has proposed a system of vaccine passports, a global ID card scheme which identifies the vaccinated. His logic is simple and compelling: vaccines speed up the return to normal life. A system of immunisation passports could get us flying again. He’d like the EU to oversee it.

Denmark will start issuing vaccine passports this month, followed by Sweden, where identity cards and ‘personal numbers’ are already ubiquitous. Israel has introduced a ‘green pass’ for those who can prove their immunity status, which grants them access to shopping centres, gyms and museums. Joe Biden has asked for an evaluation of a vaccine ID scheme for Americans. Spain, Italy, Cyprus and Malta – all desperate to revive tourism – are in favour of vaccine passports. All they need is for other governments to give them the go-ahead.

But the application of vaccine passports will inevitably extend far beyond holidays. The safety-first mentality could spread into almost every area of modern life. One of the most appalling tragedies of the pandemic was the failure to protect the elderly in care homes. There’s a clear moral case for those who work with the elderly to be able to prove they’ve been vaccinated. Hospitals can make the same argument. But convincing proof can only be issued by the NHS – or, rather, the Government. Without its backing, a vaccine passport system will never get off the ground. When it does, there’s no telling where it will lead.
If we lived in a sane world it wouldn't be an issue, because of course everyone would want the vaccine now, and the number of stragglers would be small. But with all the anti-vax idiots out there it sort of forces the issue of having some kind of proof. Strange world we live in.
“Unless you consciously include, you will unconsciously exclude”
-Stephen Frost

Future Lover

#17 Post by Future Lover »

I went to Egypt in October, and they asked for a negative recent test on entry. I believe calling it a "vaccine passport" is just terrible optics, and obviously, a lightning rod for loonie fantasies.

symco

#18 Post by symco »

I wonder if Neil has underlying health issues because he's not in the age range just yet? 🤔

Spittingcat

#19 Post by Spittingcat »

Many areas are doing the 65-69 age group now. Hard to believe that Neil is now in that age band, but he is!

stussyboy

#20 Post by stussyboy »

In the UK we all have a NI number, a Passport number, our phones track our every move. I think Big Brother is already here, if a vaccine passport can allow a return to normalcy, is it an issue? I understand the hesitancy around the powers that might come with it, but I don’t buy into the whole Agenda 21 conspiracies.
NewYork London Tokyo LosAngeles

Marie loves PSB

#21 Post by Marie loves PSB »

Spittingcat wrote: Fri 12 Feb 2021, 4:24 pm Many areas are doing the 65-69 age group now. Hard to believe that Neil is now in that age band, but he is!
My Mum was called early for 70+. I have been called to go next week and I cannot wait for my jab. I am glad Neil has said he had the jab. Hope your family are much better now Future Lover. :)

I had "normal bog standard" winter Flu in 1995 and basically it never went. My mobility is really bad etc... So, I hope you all take up the offer of a Jab! :D

Future Lover

#22 Post by Future Lover »

Thank you for your kind words, Marie! Sorry to hear your flu has brought you such complications :( I think we were underestimating our virus enemies for way too long, and should have known better.

jasonjohn

#23 Post by jasonjohn »

Australia has had closed borders since early on.

Relatively low deaths. Hospitals were never overflowing.

You can't fly there for a vacation of course. Bad optics is the least concern, really.

Marie loves PSB

#24 Post by Marie loves PSB »

Future Lover wrote: Sat 13 Feb 2021, 11:49 am Thank you for your kind words, Marie! Sorry to hear your flu has brought you such complications :( I think we were underestimating our virus enemies for way too long, and should have known better.
No problem Future Lover. :D Thank you for understanding about the FLU. I am the sort of person that just likes to let the whole world know that they should be taking up their jabs etc.. I know that Covid is much worse than the FLU. I agree that we were underestimating our virus enemies for way too long.

Hope you are all ok on here. :)

jyllinge

#25 Post by jyllinge »

Tom Angel wrote: Fri 12 Feb 2021, 8:22 am The Prime Minister of Greece, whose economy depends on holidaymakers, has proposed a system of vaccine passports, a global ID card scheme which identifies the vaccinated. His logic is simple and compelling: vaccines speed up the return to normal life. A system of immunisation passports could get us flying again. He’d like the EU to oversee it.

Denmark will start issuing vaccine passports this month, followed by Sweden, where identity cards and ‘personal numbers’ are already ubiquitous. Israel has introduced a ‘green pass’ for those who can prove their immunity status, which grants them access to shopping centres, gyms and museums. Joe Biden has asked for an evaluation of a vaccine ID scheme for Americans. Spain, Italy, Cyprus and Malta – all desperate to revive tourism – are in favour of vaccine passports. All they need is for other governments to give them the go-ahead.

But the application of vaccine passports will inevitably extend far beyond holidays. The safety-first mentality could spread into almost every area of modern life. One of the most appalling tragedies of the pandemic was the failure to protect the elderly in care homes. There’s a clear moral case for those who work with the elderly to be able to prove they’ve been vaccinated. Hospitals can make the same argument. But convincing proof can only be issued by the NHS – or, rather, the Government. Without its backing, a vaccine passport system will never get off the ground. When it does, there’s no telling where it will lead.
There already exists a WHO yellow vaccine card - why is that not enough? of course having it electronically as an app would be nice for easy travel. I think the wording "passport" is overrated in this picture - its just a vaccine card (like I been using WHO card for many years for yellow fever etc.)

One of the crowd

#26 Post by One of the crowd »

Spittingcat wrote: Fri 12 Feb 2021, 4:24 pm Many areas are doing the 65-69 age group now. Hard to believe that Neil is now in that age band, but he is!
I'm in the 16-64 and vulnerable group and having my jab tomorrow
Did Zoe Ball let something slip today? (31:01:24)

Patrick Bateman

#27 Post by Patrick Bateman »

I doubt Neil would have had his vaccination yet if we were still in the EU. :whistle:

raggatwin

#28 Post by raggatwin »

My wife got a text this morning,,,she is 40 with no underlying health conditions.
Hello my name is Neil Tennant and I'm Chris Lowe and we're of the Pet Shop Boys.

Spittingcat

#29 Post by Spittingcat »

Patrick Bateman wrote: Sun 14 Feb 2021, 5:33 pm I doubt Neil would have had his vaccination yet if we were still in the EU. :whistle:

Why’s that? We chose not to join in with the joint vaccine purchase scheme while in transition, and could have done so as members. We had a long record of being one of the members that chose to opt out of optional joint measures. With our domestic life sciences expertise, we would have no doubt have done the same with this scheme. It’s like people who pointed at the Euro or Schengen as a reason to give up being members… we always cherry picked what we wanted from the EU (we can’t any more).

Patrick Bateman

#30 Post by Patrick Bateman »

Spittingcat wrote: Mon 15 Feb 2021, 6:23 pmWhy’s that?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-52380823