PSB namechecks in New Order biogs

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Gabby

PSB namechecks in New Order biogs

#1 Post by Gabby »

Lovely to see the Boys yet again namechecked in the various biographies by the members of New Order. Just reading Stephen Morris' 2nd volume and although not a huge revelation, it mentions how PSB's album (not mentioned but I believe it must be Please) was a firm favourite of Gillian's and the Gilbert household in general, and is a primary reason why Stephen Hague ended up producing True Faith for the band.

I believe (aside from any likely biog from Gillian herself) that means PSB have been namechecked in all of the primary members of New Order's biographies in some way. :dance:

tottenhammattspurs

Re: PSB namechecks in New Order biogs

#2 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

Halfway through his first book. He tells a good story does Stephen.
is is and isnt isnt

Gabby

#3 Post by Gabby »

tottenhammattspurs wrote: Sat 06 Feb 2021, 5:12 pm Halfway through his first book. He tells a good story does Stephen.
It's a good read isn't it?! The second is too, and I'm just getting to the first real tensions between Hooky and Sumner so will be interesting to see how he tackles that. By his own admission he's fairly compliant and not a boat rocker in general so I anticipate a fairly neutral approach.

Hoping we might get another Neil and Chris mention later but we shall see...

boyjohn

#4 Post by boyjohn »

Don't know much about New Order, other than liking a few songs. Wasn't one of them like some kind of fascist or something? Or am I confusing that with another group?
“Unless you consciously include, you will unconsciously exclude”
-Stephen Frost

Gabby

#5 Post by Gabby »

Gabby wrote: Sat 06 Feb 2021, 6:38 pm
tottenhammattspurs wrote: Sat 06 Feb 2021, 5:12 pm Halfway through his first book. He tells a good story does Stephen.
It's a good read isn't it?! The second is too, and I'm just getting to the first real tensions between Hooky and Sumner so will be interesting to see how he tackles that. By his own admission he's fairly compliant and not a boat rocker in general so I anticipate a fairly neutral approach.

Another name check for Neil.

Patrick Bateman

#6 Post by Patrick Bateman »

boyjohn wrote: Sat 06 Feb 2021, 8:14 pm Don't know much about New Order, other than liking a few songs. Wasn't one of them like some kind of fascist or something? Or am I confusing that with another group?
I think that was the Reynolds Girls.

Gabby

#7 Post by Gabby »

Gabby wrote: Sat 06 Feb 2021, 8:33 pm

And another but only as part of a joke.

Markpro

#8 Post by Markpro »

Patrick Bateman wrote: Sat 06 Feb 2021, 9:10 pm
boyjohn wrote: Sat 06 Feb 2021, 8:14 pm Don't know much about New Order, other than liking a few songs. Wasn't one of them like some kind of fascist or something? Or am I confusing that with another group?
I think that was the Reynolds Girls.
Yes one was very racist if i remember at the time (mid 80's), she was asked if she preferred comedian Lenny Henry or Jack Dee, she said "I'd rather Jack"
I've been a Teenager since before you were born.

Kris

#9 Post by Kris »

Ageist and racist, telling Rolling Stones and Fleetwood Mac they were too old and to go back to where they came from.
Passion, love, sex, money, violence, religion, injustice and death. More on that story later.

Markpro

#10 Post by Markpro »

Kris wrote: Sun 07 Feb 2021, 11:03 am Ageist and racist, telling Rolling Stones and Fleetwood Mac they were too old and to go back to where they came from.
:D ...and violent, my ears were bleeding after listening to that song on TOTP back in the day
I've been a Teenager since before you were born.

leesmapman

#11 Post by leesmapman »

Reynolds Girls was the end of Stock, Aitken & Waterman, right?

Gabby

#12 Post by Gabby »

Gabby wrote: Sat 06 Feb 2021, 9:45 pm
Gabby wrote: Sat 06 Feb 2021, 8:33 pm

And another but only as part of a joke.
Also Stephen Morris adds a Spotify Playlist at the end and includes Left to my own devices. Nice!

Tom Angel

#13 Post by Tom Angel »

The Stephen Morris book is brilliant, possibly even better than Hooky's Substance

Bernard Sumner's book was a bit disappointing.
in suits or sequins/or twin sets and pearls

spooky

#14 Post by spooky »

on the first Other Two album sleeve notes, they thank Neil and Chris.

TallThinMan

#15 Post by TallThinMan »

Tom Angel wrote: Mon 08 Feb 2021, 1:05 pm The Stephen Morris book is brilliant, possibly even better than Hooky's Substance

Bernard Sumner's book was a bit disappointing.
Stephen Morris’s books are entertaining enough, but badly need an editor, especially for fourteen odd quid. The standard of the written English is pretty poor in many places.

I agree about Bernard’s book. The most interesting account there from a PSB perspective was about how Neil and Chris found themselves in a potentially dangerous situation in some dodgy Moss Side flat when they visited the Haçienda.