PSB namechecks in New Order biogs

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Message
Author
User avatar
Gabby
Posts: 710
Joined: Sun 17 Jan 2016, 6:31 pm
Contact:

PSB namechecks in New Order biogs

#1 Post by Gabby »

Lovely to see the Boys yet again namechecked in the various biographies by the members of New Order. Just reading Stephen Morris' 2nd volume and although not a huge revelation, it mentions how PSB's album (not mentioned but I believe it must be Please) was a firm favourite of Gillian's and the Gilbert household in general, and is a primary reason why Stephen Hague ended up producing True Faith for the band.

I believe (aside from any likely biog from Gillian herself) that means PSB have been namechecked in all of the primary members of New Order's biographies in some way. :dance:

User avatar
tottenhammattspurs
Posts: 3518
Joined: Sat 04 Nov 2006, 6:17 pm
Contact:

Re: PSB namechecks in New Order biogs

#2 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

Halfway through his first book. He tells a good story does Stephen.
is is and isnt isnt

User avatar
Gabby
Posts: 710
Joined: Sun 17 Jan 2016, 6:31 pm
Contact:

Re: PSB namechecks in New Order biogs

#3 Post by Gabby »

tottenhammattspurs wrote: Sat 06 Feb 2021, 5:12 pm Halfway through his first book. He tells a good story does Stephen.
It's a good read isn't it?! The second is too, and I'm just getting to the first real tensions between Hooky and Sumner so will be interesting to see how he tackles that. By his own admission he's fairly compliant and not a boat rocker in general so I anticipate a fairly neutral approach.

Hoping we might get another Neil and Chris mention later but we shall see...

User avatar
boyjohn
Posts: 1595
Joined: Wed 18 Jan 2006, 5:24 pm
Contact:

Re: PSB namechecks in New Order biogs

#4 Post by boyjohn »

Don't know much about New Order, other than liking a few songs. Wasn't one of them like some kind of fascist or something? Or am I confusing that with another group?
“Unless you consciously include, you will unconsciously exclude”
-Stephen Frost

User avatar
Gabby
Posts: 710
Joined: Sun 17 Jan 2016, 6:31 pm
Contact:

Re: PSB namechecks in New Order biogs

#5 Post by Gabby »

Gabby wrote: Sat 06 Feb 2021, 6:38 pm
tottenhammattspurs wrote: Sat 06 Feb 2021, 5:12 pm Halfway through his first book. He tells a good story does Stephen.
It's a good read isn't it?! The second is too, and I'm just getting to the first real tensions between Hooky and Sumner so will be interesting to see how he tackles that. By his own admission he's fairly compliant and not a boat rocker in general so I anticipate a fairly neutral approach.

Hoping we might get another Neil and Chris mention later but we shall see...
Another name check for Neil.

User avatar
Patrick Bateman
Posts: 9027
Joined: Sat 12 Apr 2008, 4:35 pm
Contact:

Re: PSB namechecks in New Order biogs

#6 Post by Patrick Bateman »

boyjohn wrote: Sat 06 Feb 2021, 8:14 pm Don't know much about New Order, other than liking a few songs. Wasn't one of them like some kind of fascist or something? Or am I confusing that with another group?
I think that was the Reynolds Girls.

User avatar
Gabby
Posts: 710
Joined: Sun 17 Jan 2016, 6:31 pm
Contact:

Re: PSB namechecks in New Order biogs

#7 Post by Gabby »

Gabby wrote: Sat 06 Feb 2021, 8:33 pm
Gabby wrote: Sat 06 Feb 2021, 6:38 pm
tottenhammattspurs wrote: Sat 06 Feb 2021, 5:12 pm Halfway through his first book. He tells a good story does Stephen.
It's a good read isn't it?! The second is too, and I'm just getting to the first real tensions between Hooky and Sumner so will be interesting to see how he tackles that. By his own admission he's fairly compliant and not a boat rocker in general so I anticipate a fairly neutral approach.

Hoping we might get another Neil and Chris mention later but we shall see...
Another name check for Neil.
And another but only as part of a joke.

User avatar
Markpro
Posts: 646
Joined: Sat 20 Mar 2004, 5:53 am
Contact:

Re: PSB namechecks in New Order biogs

#8 Post by Markpro »

Patrick Bateman wrote: Sat 06 Feb 2021, 9:10 pm
boyjohn wrote: Sat 06 Feb 2021, 8:14 pm Don't know much about New Order, other than liking a few songs. Wasn't one of them like some kind of fascist or something? Or am I confusing that with another group?
I think that was the Reynolds Girls.
Yes one was very racist if i remember at the time (mid 80's), she was asked if she preferred comedian Lenny Henry or Jack Dee, she said "I'd rather Jack"
I've been a Teenager since before you were born.

Kris
Posts: 1154
Joined: Sat 08 Nov 2003, 12:22 pm
Contact:

Re: PSB namechecks in New Order biogs

#9 Post by Kris »

Ageist and racist, telling Rolling Stones and Fleetwood Mac they were too old and to go back to where they came from.
Passion, love, sex, money, violence, religion, injustice and death. More on that story later.

User avatar
Markpro
Posts: 646
Joined: Sat 20 Mar 2004, 5:53 am
Contact:

Re: PSB namechecks in New Order biogs

#10 Post by Markpro »

Kris wrote: Sun 07 Feb 2021, 11:03 am Ageist and racist, telling Rolling Stones and Fleetwood Mac they were too old and to go back to where they came from.
:D ...and violent, my ears were bleeding after listening to that song on TOTP back in the day
I've been a Teenager since before you were born.

User avatar
leesmapman
Posts: 1975
Joined: Wed 03 May 2006, 11:51 am
Contact:

Re: PSB namechecks in New Order biogs

#11 Post by leesmapman »

Reynolds Girls was the end of Stock, Aitken & Waterman, right?

User avatar
Gabby
Posts: 710
Joined: Sun 17 Jan 2016, 6:31 pm
Contact:

Re: PSB namechecks in New Order biogs

#12 Post by Gabby »

Gabby wrote: Sat 06 Feb 2021, 9:45 pm
Gabby wrote: Sat 06 Feb 2021, 8:33 pm
Gabby wrote: Sat 06 Feb 2021, 6:38 pm

It's a good read isn't it?! The second is too, and I'm just getting to the first real tensions between Hooky and Sumner so will be interesting to see how he tackles that. By his own admission he's fairly compliant and not a boat rocker in general so I anticipate a fairly neutral approach.

Hoping we might get another Neil and Chris mention later but we shall see...
Another name check for Neil.
And another but only as part of a joke.
Also Stephen Morris adds a Spotify Playlist at the end and includes Left to my own devices. Nice!

Tom Angel
Posts: 3277
Joined: Sat 04 Feb 2006, 3:09 pm
Contact:

Re: PSB namechecks in New Order biogs

#13 Post by Tom Angel »

The Stephen Morris book is brilliant, possibly even better than Hooky's Substance

Bernard Sumner's book was a bit disappointing.
in suits or sequins/or twin sets and pearls

User avatar
spooky
Posts: 173
Joined: Sun 02 Nov 2003, 10:47 am
Contact:

Re: PSB namechecks in New Order biogs

#14 Post by spooky »

on the first Other Two album sleeve notes, they thank Neil and Chris.

TallThinMan
Posts: 899
Joined: Sun 04 Jun 2006, 6:50 pm
Contact:

Re: PSB namechecks in New Order biogs

#15 Post by TallThinMan »

Tom Angel wrote: Mon 08 Feb 2021, 1:05 pm The Stephen Morris book is brilliant, possibly even better than Hooky's Substance

Bernard Sumner's book was a bit disappointing.
Stephen Morris’s books are entertaining enough, but badly need an editor, especially for fourteen odd quid. The standard of the written English is pretty poor in many places.

I agree about Bernard’s book. The most interesting account there from a PSB perspective was about how Neil and Chris found themselves in a potentially dangerous situation in some dodgy Moss Side flat when they visited the Haçienda.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 45 guests