Hotspot: 1 year old today

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
jasonjohn

Re: Hotspot: 1 year old today

#91 Post by jasonjohn »

hotspotnot wrote: Thu 28 Jan 2021, 10:24 am My only quibble with Hotspot is the sequencing of "You are the one" after "Will-o-the-wisp". On first listen it was just a massive let down.
Yeah, I sometimes wonder why they didn't keep the energy up sky high.

But in other ways I can understand them just wanting to slide into something different and change gear. The album itself is quite different to expectations for the trilogy, good on 'em.

Danimal

#92 Post by Danimal »

When "Electric" was released I listened to it TO DEATH for over a year. "Super" I listened to a fair amount. Hotspot maybe four or five times.

Disco.

#93 Post by Disco. »

Tom Angel wrote: Sat 30 Jan 2021, 1:20 pm Hoping for a miracle is the highlight for me.

On Waterloo Bridge you got lost in the fog
Performing a crazy monologue
About love and luck
And do they coincide?

And those lyrics, 'firing verbal shots, like a tommy gun', Amazing. and the atmosphere is foreboding and yet elegantly positive. The mysterious vocoded voice and the driving, soaring strings. It's immaculate PSB.

You are the one is a bit bland, but listenable, while Wedding in Berlin is just plain embarrassing. It's hard to believe it was was even a good idea at the time. Why they didn't put on open mind and Decide on the album is beyond me. It's make it a genuine PSB classic.

Well, they have been giving good explanations to why they are not on the album :)

As has been the case since Very they need other people to choose the track listing of their albums. They don't seem to have the eye anymore.

Drico One

#94 Post by Drico One »

I find as I get older that I tend to favour their more upbeat, vibrant material in general. Electric was revelatory for me as it showcased a side of them that I hadn't heard in years. The vim and vigour was there and you could sense that Chris, in particular, had rediscovered his creative mojo. Thursday, Bourgeois, and Vocal all spoke for this new-found vitality. Super had elements of this but, in hindsight, was a hybrid of Electric and Hotspot, which was more considered in general.

I think, perhaps, that they do the mopey stuff almost effortlessly by now. I love the mopey stuff, their downcast, reflective take on things, but it's almost their default setting. Throw in a few strings and people are almost tumescent.

Maybe all of this speaks to the time-honoured contradiction of Pet Shop Boys. To summarise, badly, that's downbeat lyrics with upbeat music. When you're young, I think a similar contradiction is youthful vim and vigour versus reflective, elegiac records. When you get older, it's world-weary experience versus life-affirming vitality. I suspect I have entered the latter category.

It's purely a matter of personal preference, but if I were to compile a list of my 20 favourite Pet Shop Boys tracks of the last decade, I'm pretty sure the vast majority would be in the "uptempo" category with only a handful coming from their more sombre line (Leaving, Invisible, Hoping for a Miracle). I suppose that's one way of me saying I've experienced diminishing marginal returns over the course of the last three albums.

Drico.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

Dominic

#95 Post by Dominic »

It has definitely been a definitive grower for me. It is still in constant rotation. "Only The Dark", "I Don't Wanna" and "Will-O-The-Wisp" are definitely in my top 20-25 of all-time PSB songs.

I hope people would give it a chance to sink in.

RichBeard

#96 Post by RichBeard »

I loved Hotspot when it was realised and still love listening to it..WOTW is such a great opening track.. 😎 like all the tracks on the album.. really like YATO, HP, DL &.. shock horror, I really like WIB.. great production again from Stuart Price! Great ballads on this album as well.. definite thumbs up.. 👍👍👍

Drico One

#97 Post by Drico One »

If there's one positive thing about enduring a lockdown in a pandemic, it's the opportunity to luxuriate in an album, give it time, and let it breathe rather than treating it as you might a disposable face mask. In a world of instant gratification, there's something to be said for putting a record out there and letting it linger.

I'm as keen for new music as anybody, but Hotspot is hitting the spot for me right now. I find myself too quick to reach for the latest new thing but when you can't you give what you have that little bit more time. I think we take PSB albums for granted, and almost set our clocks to them. Even if the music plays forever, they won't be around forever. Let the music play.

Drico.

tottenhammattspurs

#98 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

Monkey Business is their most pop sounding chart friendly track in years. Burning The Heather is sublime, Will-o-the-Wisp is a banger, Dreamland is radio friendly and Only The Dark is sonically beautiful. That's half the album, the rest of the tracks (Wedding excluded) demand repeated listens. Thats a pretty good return on investment if you ask me.
is is and isnt isnt

y3potential

#99 Post by y3potential »

tottenhammattspurs wrote: Sat 20 Feb 2021, 2:52 pm Monkey Business is their most pop sounding chart friendly track in years. Burning The Heather is sublime, Will-o-the-Wisp is a banger, Dreamland is radio friendly and Only The Dark is sonically beautiful. That's half the album, the rest of the tracks (Wedding excluded) demand repeated listens. Thats a pretty good return on investment if you ask me.

I couldn't agree more. They could be excused for diminishing returns, particularly when you consider they are in their fifth decade as a working, creative band.. But if anything they are as experimental and interesting as ever, still delivering exquisite, sublime material.
There is beauty in ugliness and ugliness in beauty.

Drico One

#100 Post by Drico One »

As I was strolling through Prenzlauer Berg on a lovely spring Berlin day today, it crossed my mind that they are one of the few bands who have hits without having hits. What I mean by that is they have reached a point in their career where commercial hits are impossible (for so many reasons which also apply to all artists of their vintage) but are still producing tracks that could be considered personal hits for people like me.

Love etc will, in all likelihood, be their last commercial hit of any size. Since then, however, they have produced so many tracks that mean every bit as much to me as West End girls or Being boring. Together, Leaving, Vocal, Bourgeois, Thursday, Pop Kids, On social media, Dreamland, Monkey business, etc.- and they are only the singles. So many of their album tracks and b-sides of the last decade evoke the same feeling in me as any of the classic hits. So, for me personally, the reason I remain an excited fan is because they keep delivering serotonin hits with utter reliability. These hits may not be commercial, but they are every bit as hormonal as anything I experienced as a teenage fan.

Drico.

Gabby

#101 Post by Gabby »

Drico One wrote: Sat 20 Feb 2021, 4:08 pm As I was strolling through Prenzlauer Berg on a lovely spring Berlin day today, it crossed my mind that they are one of the few bands who have hits without having hits. What I mean by that is they have reached a point in their career where commercial hits are impossible (for so many reasons which also apply to all artists of their vintage) but are still producing tracks that could be considered personal hits for people like me.

Love etc will, in all likelihood, be their last commercial hit of any size. Since then, however, they have produced so many tracks that mean every bit as much to me as West End girls or Being boring. Together, Leaving, Vocal, Bourgeois, Thursday, Pop Kids, On social media, Dreamland, Monkey business, etc.- and they are only the singles. So many of their album tracks and b-sides of the last decade evoke the same feeling in me as any of the classic hits. So, for me personally, the reason I remain an excited fan is because they keep delivering serotonin hits with utter reliability. These hits may not be commercial, but they are every bit as hormonal as anything I experienced as a teenage fan.

Drico.
⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️
THIS!!!!!!!!!

PSBForTheMasses

#102 Post by PSBForTheMasses »

I will probably be dogpiled here but I never got warmed to this album and probably won't. It may be because of the prejudice that the lethargic first single (sorry, I am wrong, the second single actually following Dreamland) caused in me. I was utterly disappointed (and somehow got angry) when I had first listened to it.

I am very envious, no, actually jealous of you who embrace this album because I need a PSB fix since Electric, and Decide and Monkey Business (two fantastic songs) are not enough. Hope one day I will wake up, find myself forgot all about that second single (even now its name escapes me) and start the whole adventure from the beginning. And yes Dreamland has also not helped things as well. It may be the least-listened-to PSB album for me next to Release. :(

Greendrake

#103 Post by Greendrake »

PSBForTheMasses wrote: Sat 20 Feb 2021, 9:24 pm
It may be because of the prejudice that the lethargic first single (sorry, I am wrong, the second single actually following Dreamland) caused in me. I was utterly disappointed (and somehow got angry) when I had first listened to it.

I am very envious, no, actually jealous of you who embrace this album because I need a PSB fix since Electric, and Decide and Monkey Business (two fantastic songs) are not enough. Hope one day I will wake up, find myself forgot all about that second single (even now its name escapes me)
Burning the heather is utterly PSB. Been playing it a lot, both vocal and instrumental. Perhaps what you actually need is extra beans — still more banging and lasers.
Last edited by Greendrake on Sat 20 Feb 2021, 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gabby

#104 Post by Gabby »

PSBForTheMasses wrote: Sat 20 Feb 2021, 9:24 pm I will probably be dogpiled here but I never got warmed to this album and probably won't. It may be because of the prejudice that the lethargic first single (sorry, I am wrong, the second single actually following Dreamland) caused in me. I was utterly disappointed (and somehow got angry) when I had first listened to it.

I am very envious, no, actually jealous of you who embrace this album because I need a PSB fix since Electric, and Decide and Monkey Business (two fantastic songs) are not enough. Hope one day I will wake up, find myself forgot all about that second single (even now its name escapes me) and start the whole adventure from the beginning. And yes Dreamland has also not helped things as well. It may be the least-listened-to PSB album for me next to Release. :(
I think "Burning the heather " is the song you're pitching for. I think that's fair. It didn't build on Dreamland. I'd argue Monkey Business could have propelled the album a bit better as a second single.

I hope you are able to reassess Hotspot some day. For me it's a high contender with some of their earliest albums.

Dog

#105 Post by Dog »

There are three types of PSB fans. Those that like Monkey business. Those that like Burning the heather. And those that like both.
Woof.