Hotspot: 1 year old today

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Dog

Re: Hotspot: 1 year old today

#106 Post by Dog »

There are three types of PSB fans. Those that like Electric. Those that like Release. And those that like both.
Woof.

Scottydog

#107 Post by Scottydog »

I’m a both on all counts. Electric is a stunner. Hotspot is seriously good. Burning the Heather is one of the best songs they’ve ever done and Release will always be a gem. As for Monkey Business. I hated it on first hearing but that was a minor blip on my part.
If I thought what you’d think I wouldn’t even be here.

Gabby

#108 Post by Gabby »

Scottydog wrote: Sat 20 Feb 2021, 11:03 pm I’m a both on all counts. Electric is a stunner. Hotspot is seriously good. Burning the Heather is one of the best songs they’ve ever done and Release will always be a gem. As for Monkey Business. I hated it on first hearing but that was a minor blip on my part.
It took me a while to warm up to Monkey Business. Not such a fan of shouty Neil but saying that I can think of some genuine shouty Neil stunners!

Marie loves PSB

#109 Post by Marie loves PSB »

Gabby wrote: Sun 21 Feb 2021, 12:55 am
Scottydog wrote: Sat 20 Feb 2021, 11:03 pm I’m a both on all counts. Electric is a stunner. Hotspot is seriously good. Burning the Heather is one of the best songs they’ve ever done and Release will always be a gem. As for Monkey Business. I hated it on first hearing but that was a minor blip on my part.
It took me a while to warm up to Monkey Business. Not such a fan of shouty Neil but saying that I can think of some genuine shouty Neil stunners!
Lol.. I totally loathed Monkey Business when it came out (as some of you know). :wink: But, for some weird reason I really like it now but, have gone off Dreamland.

Drico One

#110 Post by Drico One »

I love the joy and abandon of Monkey business. It's playful PSB, has a killer snythline, and hides a gloriously downbeat and melancholic comedown late in the mix that works as a metaphor for a regrettable hangover.

Burning the heather is undoubtedly a very good song. But let's face it, it lacks excitement. It's a visit to Dullerton-on-the-Worthy. Excitement is not mandatory, but if it is one of those things that really pushes your PSB buttons, then this track was never really going to suffice as a single to whet the appetite. Surrounded by similar songs of acoustic rumination, this would get more credit. But, for me anyway, it feels like a fish out of water on Hostpot - a bit like its narrator.

While I'm on the subject of excitement, I really love I don't wanna. It's massively underrated, but it has that galloping snythline that I am always an absolute sucker for. Right from the start, this was the track that enlivened the second half of the album just as it began to sag after the elegant stateliness of Hoping for a miracle.

That's the thing with Hotspot. The tracks that seem a little misplaced are wonderful, but perhaps suffer a little from the "all sorts" approach that this collection employs. Wedding in Berlin works in the context of an album run that precedes it with, say, Monkey business, but seems a little bizarre after Burning the heather - which itself seems absolutely out of place as a result of a lot of what precedes it and definitely what follows it.

Drico.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

leesmapman

#111 Post by leesmapman »

I played Dreamland this morning and I got a nostalgic pre-lockdown feeling, to a time when everything was still relatively okay. The single came out september 2019, and my girlfriend and me were on holiday in Germany at that time.

PopKid78

#112 Post by PopKid78 »

Dreamland is played in quite an important scene, on the series Love Victor. This series is coming to Disney+ next week. With this and all the publicity Olly and the Boys are getting at the moment, I was thinking maybe, just maybe, Dreamland might get a second lease of life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

verbow79

#113 Post by verbow79 »

My signed Hotspot poster didn't even make it through 1 year, I live in Texas and had a pipe burst this week and ruin the cardboard poster tube it was stored in :(

Gabby

#114 Post by Gabby »

verbow79 wrote: Mon 22 Feb 2021, 3:11 am My signed Hotspot poster didn't even make it through 1 year, I live in Texas and had a pipe burst this week and ruin the cardboard poster tube it was stored in :(
Sorry to hear that :(

I feel your pain - we had a basement flood a couple years ago which actually could have been far far worse, and mercifully didn't ruin any of my PSB collection of things. We kind of did already, but have taken to making sure anything of value that isn't on display is contained in a plastic tote of some kind if at all possible.

MikeyC

#115 Post by MikeyC »

PopKid78 wrote: Sun 21 Feb 2021, 9:40 pm Dreamland is played in quite an important scene, on the series Love Victor. This series is coming to Disney+ next week. With this and all the publicity Olly and the Boys are getting at the moment, I was thinking maybe, just maybe, Dreamland might get a second lease of life.

Ooooh I’ve been thinking of checking out that show! Now there’s an extra incentive!! Thanks for the info! 😎

PopKid78

#116 Post by PopKid78 »

MikeyC wrote:
PopKid78 wrote: Sun 21 Feb 2021, 9:40 pm Dreamland is played in quite an important scene, on the series Love Victor. This series is coming to Disney+ next week. With this and all the publicity Olly and the Boys are getting at the moment, I was thinking maybe, just maybe, Dreamland might get a second lease of life.

Ooooh I’ve been thinking of checking out that show! Now there’s an extra incentive!! Thanks for the info! Image

What I love about it, is how Dreamland doesn’t sound out of place on a soundtrack full of modern acts. Most of the young viewers the show is aimed at, won’t have a clue, this song is from a band who’s first hit was in 1985.

MikeyC

#117 Post by MikeyC »

PopKid78 wrote: Mon 22 Feb 2021, 6:15 pm
MikeyC wrote:

Ooooh I’ve been thinking of checking out that show! Now there’s an extra incentive!! Thanks for the info! Image

What I love about it, is how Dreamland doesn’t sound out of place on a soundtrack full of modern acts. Most of the young viewers the show is aimed at, won’t have a clue, this song is from a band who’s first hit was in 1985.

Well said!! 👏