Discovery 1994 - DVD/CD-Release

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
leesmapman

Re: Discovery 1994 - DVD/CD-Release

#136 Post by leesmapman »

canveyboy wrote: Sat 23 Jan 2021, 11:02 am To be honest I think they’ve already upscaled/cleaned up MCMLXXXIX concert anyway - take a look at the A Life In Pop DVD - there are several excerpts from MCMLXXXIX in that documentary that weren’t released on HIGHLIGHTS and they look amazing. Upscaled to 16:9 and look quite filmic/grainy. I’m sure they didn’t just improve the 5 songs they showed, they must have given the full show a treatment!
I took the DVD for a spin due to this post and I can confirm: that footage looks great! Sounds great too, by the way. Now I want the MCMLXXXIX concert on DVD or BD.

Marie loves PSB

#137 Post by Marie loves PSB »

Future Lover wrote: Mon 25 Jan 2021, 10:55 pm Well thank Lord we have such a "true" ""fan"" to show us the way. What are you, ten? Also, how dare you use the word "retarded" in such a disrespectful way? Mentally handicapped people are contributing far more to the world than some other quote-unquote people.
This forum gets even more nastier by the day Future Lover. :roll: :down:

Marie loves PSB

#138 Post by Marie loves PSB »

telys wrote: Mon 25 Jan 2021, 9:50 pm
NotInvisible wrote: Mon 25 Jan 2021, 9:39 pm
telys wrote: Mon 25 Jan 2021, 10:11 ama low level of PSB fandom
What a silly thing to say.
I've been suspecting for a long time that there are a too many non-fans on this forum. And this thread derailing has just proved my point. Too many NERDS!
That thread about Neil&Chris being a couple or not also showed how a lot of forum members really aren't PSB fans or just don't understand what the difference between a real fan and somebody suffering from retarded adulation. Or maybe they are NERDS too!
What's up with you? Your comments are nasty of late! :down: Why don't you take up knitting?

canveyboy

#139 Post by canveyboy »

leesmapman wrote: Tue 26 Jan 2021, 11:00 pm
canveyboy wrote: Sat 23 Jan 2021, 11:02 am To be honest I think they’ve already upscaled/cleaned up MCMLXXXIX concert anyway - take a look at the A Life In Pop DVD - there are several excerpts from MCMLXXXIX in that documentary that weren’t released on HIGHLIGHTS and they look amazing. Upscaled to 16:9 and look quite filmic/grainy. I’m sure they didn’t just improve the 5 songs they showed, they must have given the full show a treatment!
I took the DVD for a spin due to this post and I can confirm: that footage looks great! Sounds great too, by the way. Now I want the MCMLXXXIX concert on DVD or BD.
IKR...looks great doesn’t it...I think they’ve definitely worked on this concert film too. I’m hoping the plan is if Discovery does well enough and sells well then they will follow it up with MCMLXXXIX. Having said that, maybe Inner Sanctum sold enough units to justify doing Discovery anyway, but I guess releasing a 27 year old concert film is a little different to releasing a recent concert film. Time will tell. But I am genuinely so excited about this release and to have it as a live album too is amazing. But to have MCMLXXXIX released in the same way would be an absolute dream come true. Just imagine actually having the full MCMLXXXIX concert film on DVD and 2xCD!!! Would be amazing!!! Those versions of Left to my own devices, NHBP, Later Tonight....I do worry though that there could be artist clearance issues though which could prevent its full release. In the Literally tour book there were ongoing conversations and complications with Courtney Pine around a fee for appearing in the concert film. Were these issues resolved? Would new negotiations have to take place 32 years later to get Courtney Pine’s agreement on his appearance in the film? Having said that he did appear on several songs on HIGHLIGHTS so maybe an agreement was reached at the time.
Its taken me all of my life to find you

OakeyDokey

#140 Post by OakeyDokey »

Would there be much on a prospective release of MCMLXXXIX that hasn't been uploaded to Youtube (someone has posted lots of songs from Wembley in decent quality on there)?

canveyboy

#141 Post by canveyboy »

OakeyDokey wrote: Thu 28 Jan 2021, 10:21 am Would there be much on a prospective release of MCMLXXXIX that hasn't been uploaded to Youtube (someone has posted lots of songs from Wembley in decent quality on there)?
They’re not decent at all. Far from it. And even if they were, watching individual videos on YouTube on your little phone is hardly comparable to watching it full screen on the tv. Discovery is on YouTube too but I don’t see anyone saying just watch it on there instead of buying it? Odd thing to say really. The DVD footage would be remastered and we’d have an official 2xCD audio live album too, all nicely packaged ala Inner Sanctum - surely you’d prefer that?
Its taken me all of my life to find you

OakeyDokey

#142 Post by OakeyDokey »

Of course I would, I was just wondering in terms of content are there any songs missing from what's on YouTube. Previously unseen content trumps higher quality existing footage for me. The footage on YouTube is also better than what's up there for Discovery from what I've seen. Again, speaking personally but the audio and literature content accompanying any of these releases (plus DVD extras if there were any) is also a big part in deciding whether to buy them.

TwizzleUK

#143 Post by TwizzleUK »

OakeyDokey wrote: Thu 28 Jan 2021, 1:15 pm Of course I would, I was just wondering in terms of content are there any songs missing from what's on YouTube. Previously unseen content trumps higher quality existing footage for me. The footage on YouTube is also better than what's up there for Discovery from what I've seen. Again, speaking personally but the audio and literature content accompanying any of these releases (plus DVD extras if there were any) is also a big part in deciding whether to buy them.
I've yet to see the full version of 'One More Chance' from the 1989 tour on YouTube - the one I saw started mid-intro. I recall at Wembley it was the opening song and began with loud rumbles and a long build up in darkness.

domino

#144 Post by domino »

They tease the release with One in a million/Mr. Vain. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gl-nPbUSihQ
A blues would be in B flat, pain defining wisdom,
but the soul is in the high hat, programmed in the system.

leesmapman

#145 Post by leesmapman »

Looks sharp, but still pretty dark
Last edited by leesmapman on Sat 13 Feb 2021, 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

coufy

#146 Post by coufy »

I've got laserdisc transfer of Discovery. It's almost the same quality. I'm happy for DVD release anyway. Hoping for full 1989 concert DVD or BLURAY release now.
Pet Shop Boys Technology
www.pet-shop-boys.eu

astrocordoba

#147 Post by astrocordoba »

Very interesting, rescued from a tape, Discovery in Chile November 30th 1994 (almost full concert):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlOBX0AjKmw

Patrick Bateman

#148 Post by Patrick Bateman »

domino wrote: Fri 12 Feb 2021, 3:33 pm They tease the release with One in a million/Mr. Vain. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gl-nPbUSihQ
I only just realised that they have two separate YouTube accounts - the Parlophone one and their own one.

domino

#149 Post by domino »

astrocordoba wrote: Sat 13 Feb 2021, 7:17 pm Very interesting, rescued from a tape, Discovery in Chile November 30th 1994 (almost full concert):
Holy gold!!!

Yesterday, when I was mad Jam & Spoon Remix as a 10 minute interruption! Where the Streets have no name!
A blues would be in B flat, pain defining wisdom,
but the soul is in the high hat, programmed in the system.

Greendrake

#150 Post by Greendrake »

astrocordoba wrote: Sat 13 Feb 2021, 7:17 pm Very interesting, rescued from a tape, Discovery in Chile November 30th 1994 (almost full concert):
What a gem indeed! Thanks for sharing.

What also surprises me is that the arrangements do not exactly match those from Rio 11 days later. In some songs there are noticeable differences in instruments/notes.

In Rent, Neil sings "... I need it... that's why I feed it" :o. Never heard such a variation before!