Discovery 1994 - DVD/CD-Release

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
misterme

Re: Discovery 1994 - DVD/CD-Release

#121 Post by misterme »

Last edited by misterme on Mon 25 Jan 2021, 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Greendrake

#122 Post by Greendrake »

NotInvisible wrote: Sun 24 Jan 2021, 2:56 pm This is a great example of why discussing this with you is so frustrating. You didn't know about the advantages of Blu-ray vs DVD yet made declarative statements anyway. You continue to demonstrate that you don't actually know what you're talking about
Look, the whole point of this debate for me is to find out whether I am indeed missing some valid technical reasons to wish a Bluray release instead of a properly restored native resolution video on a properly encoded/authored 720x576 DVD. You have been trying to demonstrate such reasons but so far they do not hold water as far as I can see. I am not particularly enjoying the debate itself either (mostly because of your tendency to focus on asserting that I "have no idea" rather than demonstrating technical details that I am missing), but at this point I am still hoping to pickup something new on the topic from you. I have no problems admitting being wrong when I see it. You might have them though, which well could be your drive to just keep persistently asserting that I have no idea without giving solid grounds.

Now, getting back to the details:
NotInvisible wrote: Sun 24 Jan 2021, 2:56 pm Most NTSC DVD players can't play PAL DVDs, and those that can still present issues for many viewers, because televisions were also manufactured specifically for those broadcast formats.

NTSC 720x480 30fps 60i
PAL 720x576 25fps 50i

It requires a standards conversion to view PAL SD on NTSC SD systems.
Are you stuck in the 90s-00s?
Up until back then all that PAL/NTSC stuff indeed did matter because lots of devices were still analogue and the frequencies/frame rates had to align nicely with the power frequencies (50 Hz in Europe and 60 Hz in the US). TV broadcasters had to dance to those frequencies. So did DVD players.

Since TV screens are digital it matters no longer. Digital screens could not care less of what frequency the power is. They can visualize 25fps as unaffected as 30fps or any other frame rate.

Now, if some stupid DVD player in the US, while connected to a digital TV screen via HDMI cable refuses to play "PAL" (25fps, 720×576) — sorry that could not be a valid reason for people living in 2021 to fall for unnecessary upscaling of the original SD resolution so that those dinosaurs could play it on Bluray instead of their crappy DVD device.
NotInvisible wrote: Sun 24 Jan 2021, 2:56 pm Well ideally you'd also want digital restoration with the best codec and bitrate possible. The latter two things mean we're looking at Blu-ray instead of DVD.
You are still failing to demonstrate what could possibly prevent digitally restored content to be conveyed by properly configured MPEG-2 codec at whatever bitrate it takes. Is the codec inherently faulty? Can properly encoded Discovery not fit on a DVD disc?
NotInvisible wrote: Sun 24 Jan 2021, 2:56 pm And now you are seemingly unaware that professional upscaling is vastly better than the junk in your cheaply made home entertainment hardware yet nevertheless claim that "those things improve very fast," even though you were utterly unaware of the difference in the first place until this post. WTF dude.
Of course I have been aware of professional AI upscaling since classic PSB videos in so-called "HD" were released on Youtube. (That crap is actually one of the reasons why I oppose tampering with the original SD)
But that difference has not been relevant simply because it shortens all the time — with every f*** devices' firmware update. After some time devices will be able to AI-upscale in real time — whereas the Bluray will not magically bring the original SD resolution back to us.

telys

#123 Post by telys »

Pod wrote: Sun 24 Jan 2021, 8:40 pm I couldn’t give a frog’s fat ass what format it is or is not released on, the fact it is being released is good enough for me.
Yep, dito that.
Lots of nerds here with a low level of PSB fandom. Can't the moderator direct them to some other forum to discuss DVDbluerayHDAISDPALNTSC bla bla bla?
----
You've got me all wrong

misterme

#124 Post by misterme »

Last edited by misterme on Tue 26 Jan 2021, 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OakeyDokey

#125 Post by OakeyDokey »

Which definable characteristic will win the thread - a technical mind boring most to submission; a stroppiness and subsequent flounce from those questioned as to the levels of their PSB fandom or...something else entirely? Stay tuned. And it's LIVE!

NotInvisible

#126 Post by NotInvisible »

Greendrake wrote: Mon 25 Jan 2021, 2:38 amLook, the whole point of this debate for me is to find out whether I am indeed missing some valid technical reasons to wish a Bluray release instead of a properly restored native resolution video on a properly encoded/authored 720x576 DVD. You have been trying to demonstrate such reasons but so far they do not hold water as far as I can see.
Yes, for the same reason that an astrophysicist's patient explanation of the math required to get to the moon doesn't hold water in the eyes of an elementary school arithmetic student. Your shortcomings in this area are not justification for your errant opinions - the wonderful thing about facts is that they remain true irrespective of ignorance.

I've snipped the rest of your post because quite frankly you're just embarrassing yourself further. It's okay to say "I didn't know that, I just want to watch Discovery in the best possible quality."

NotInvisible

#127 Post by NotInvisible »

telys wrote: Mon 25 Jan 2021, 10:11 ama low level of PSB fandom
What a silly thing to say.

telys

#128 Post by telys »

NotInvisible wrote: Mon 25 Jan 2021, 9:39 pm
telys wrote: Mon 25 Jan 2021, 10:11 ama low level of PSB fandom
I've been suspecting for a long time that there are a too many non-fans on this forum. And this thread derailing has just proved my point. Too many NERDS!
That thread about Neil&Chris being a couple or not also showed how a lot of forum members really aren't PSB fans or just don't understand what the difference between a real fan and somebody suffering from retarded adulation. Or maybe they are NERDS too!
----
You've got me all wrong

Future Lover

#129 Post by Future Lover »

Well thank Lord we have such a "true" ""fan"" to show us the way. What are you, ten? Also, how dare you use the word "retarded" in such a disrespectful way? Mentally handicapped people are contributing far more to the world than some other quote-unquote people.
OT, I don't care if it's a DVD only. I doubt most of us will be playing it more than once or twice, so why obsess? Of course, there's the philosophical question on how to preserve these things, but if the quality genuinely isn't there, no amount of upscaling will create what's not there... Maybe one day, when computers are able to simulate it all anyway....

tucky101

#130 Post by tucky101 »

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread.
I’ve been struggling with depression and anxiety during lockdown but this is the Biggest laugh I’ve had in ages.

Oh, and I’ll be buying it

Would be daft not too

OakeyDokey

#131 Post by OakeyDokey »

The advert/trailer they've teased on the Facebook page shows private ("Home Movie") footage. Any indication that this will form part of an Extra on the DVD?
It would be a little unusual/teasing if they just uploaded 56 seconds of footage for an ad that won't then be featured on the release.

y3potential

#132 Post by y3potential »

OakeyDokey wrote: Tue 26 Jan 2021, 7:21 pm The advert/trailer they've teased on the Facebook page shows private ("Home Movie") footage. Any indication that this will form part of an Extra on the DVD?
It would be a little unusual/teasing if they just uploaded 56 seconds of footage for an ad that won't then be featured on the release.

I haven't seen the trailer, but there is home movie footage at the beginning of the original VHS. I'm assuming it's the same clips. Would be great if the new release had more of the home movie clips as extras but I won't hold my breath..
There is beauty in ugliness and ugliness in beauty.

domino

#133 Post by domino »

y3potential wrote: Tue 26 Jan 2021, 7:30 pm
OakeyDokey wrote: Tue 26 Jan 2021, 7:21 pm The advert/trailer they've teased on the Facebook page shows private ("Home Movie") footage. Any indication that this will form part of an Extra on the DVD?

I haven't seen the trailer, but there is home movie footage at the beginning of the original VHS. I'm assuming it's the same clips. Would be great if the new release had more of the home movie clips as extras but I won't hold my breath..
It’s the footage of the original VHS, nothing new.
A blues would be in B flat, pain defining wisdom,
but the soul is in the high hat, programmed in the system.

oakey

#134 Post by oakey »

Yes indeed, the VHS started with that too, just the intro for the concert film.

NotInvisible

#135 Post by NotInvisible »

telys wrote: Mon 25 Jan 2021, 9:50 pmI've been suspecting for a long time that there are a too many non-fans on this forum. And this thread derailing has just proved my point.