Neil and Chris and their big secret we speculate about, from time to time

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.

Neil and Chris are...

A real couple
7%
Just friends
93%

Total votes: 27

telys

Re: Neil and Chris and their big secret we speculate about, from time to time

#31 Post by telys »

The case of U2 is of similiar kind. They're definately not just four guys writing and playing music together. They're more than that. They've know each other since they were about 14-15, for about 45 years. They're like a family, brothers. From a biography perspective it is of interest and it also reflects their music and lyrics.
It's a pity some of you reduce the N & C-relationship to a mere question of privacy. It reduces you as fans. I begin to suspect you're not the big fans you claim to be.
----
You've got me all wrong

PETHEAD72

#32 Post by PETHEAD72 »

Patrick Bateman wrote: Sun 17 Jan 2021, 6:16 pm nickname, I know that lockdown is tough but how about taking up a new hobby? Knitting? Tightrope walking? Nuclear fission?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
You got a heart of glass or a heart of stone?

Oi!...got far to go have you?!... :lol:

Greendrake

#33 Post by Greendrake »

telys wrote: Mon 18 Jan 2021, 12:23 am This is a simple matter of biography and we, the fans, are writing it. Get over it, stop being star struck and let's bring facts to the table.
Plus one.
They may indeed sometimes read this place (which would cause them stop reading it again for some time :mrgreen: ), but refraining from talking about their biography — however intimate parts of it — just because it may make them feel disturbed is just nonsense. They are not participating in the talk after all.

Patrick Bateman

#34 Post by Patrick Bateman »

telys wrote: Mon 18 Jan 2021, 12:23 am I don't care what N & C think and want, they're not my pals or idols that need my protection. This is a simple matter of biography and we, the fans, are writing it. Get over it, stop being star struck and let's bring facts to the table.
By facts I presume you mean baseless speculation.

Patrick Bateman

#35 Post by Patrick Bateman »

Greendrake wrote: Mon 18 Jan 2021, 1:49 amThey may indeed sometimes read this place (which would cause them stop reading it again for some time :mrgreen: ), but refraining from talking about their biography — however intimate parts of it — just because it may make them feel disturbed is just nonsense. They are not participating in the talk after all.
Erm, but as they're the only ones who actually know the truth about their own lives, their failure to participate is pretty important. Without that, you're just a bunch of gossips chatting over the garden fence.

Greendrake

#36 Post by Greendrake »

Patrick Bateman wrote: Mon 18 Jan 2021, 2:09 am their failure to participate is pretty important. Without that, you're just a bunch of gossips chatting over the garden fence.
Correct, which is why I don't see any point in talking about the actual matter in the absence of any new facts. Neither do I see it feasible to get them participate by way of us behaving considerate here as if they were among us.

The topic has effectively turned into like "Should we refrain from talking about their private life?" (assuming there were new facts to talk about).

Future Lover

#37 Post by Future Lover »

Greendrake wrote: Mon 18 Jan 2021, 2:28 am "Should we refrain from talking about their private life?"
In short, yes.
Some people have a strangely entitled and toxic view of this issue. You have spent money and emotional support on your own, and they owe you nothing. Chris is particularly secretive, so much that he's basically unrecognizable without his disguise. And yet, you feel like a superior fan for metaphorically rummaging through their garbage? Shameful. I feel queasy even when people mention his Pete Andreas connection - if he described him as his roommate, that's it. Who are you to assume anything more?
To put my own question into quotation marks, this whole thread is basically "Can two people of compatible sexual orientations be friends without mutual attraction?"...which is kind of lame. Even if they both were gay, as I am, a simple counter example is several of my gay friends which I haven't had anything other than a friendship. Case closed. I suspect this is all basically just thinly veiled homophobia, as if gay men are just sex machines getting it on with any other gay male.

y3potential

#38 Post by y3potential »

Future Lover wrote: Mon 18 Jan 2021, 12:18 pm
Greendrake wrote: Mon 18 Jan 2021, 2:28 am "Should we refrain from talking about their private life?"
In short, yes.
Some people, i.e. telys in particular, have a strangely entitled and toxic view of this issue. You have spent money and emotional support on your own, and they owe you nothing. Chris is particularly secretive, so much that he's basically unrecognizable without his disguise. And yet, you feel like a superior fan for metaphorically rummaging through their garbage? Shameful. I feel queasy even when people mention his Pete Andreas connection - if he described him as his roommate, that's it. Who are you to assume anything more?
To put my own question into quotation marks, this whole thread is basically "Can two people of compatible sexual orientations be friends without mutual attraction?"...which is kind of lame. Even if they both were gay, as I am, a simple counter example is several of my gay friends which I haven't had anything other than a friendship. Case closed. I suspect this is all basically just thinly veiled homophobia, as if gay men are just sex machines getting it on with any other gay male.

I couldn't agree more. :clap:
There is beauty in ugliness and ugliness in beauty.

Disco.

#39 Post by Disco. »

In short, yes.
Some people have a strangely entitled and toxic view of this issue. You have spent money and emotional support on your own, and they owe you nothing. Chris is particularly secretive, so much that he's basically unrecognizable without his disguise. And yet, you feel like a superior fan for metaphorically rummaging through their garbage? Shameful. I feel queasy even when people mention his Pete Andreas connection - if he described him as his roommate, that's it. Who are you to assume anything more?

I understand that I would feel offended if I was a gay man, it’s like reducing every gay man to a sex machine, as you said.

daveid

#40 Post by daveid »

leesmapman wrote: Sun 17 Jan 2021, 4:59 pm
daveid wrote: Sun 17 Jan 2021, 2:17 pm Nickname please stick to your usual repertoire and launch an inane poll.
This thread suits this description.
Yes, I hadn't noticed that this too was a poll. I mean, of course it was...

Nickname

#41 Post by Nickname »

Future Lover wrote: Mon 18 Jan 2021, 12:18 pm I suspect this is all basically just thinly veiled homophobia, as if gay men are just sex machines getting it on with any other gay male.
Of course, it's not my intention.

The thing is Neil and Chris are two gay people who have more or less recognaized they like each other. They have been together for ages. Even the first song ever recorded by PSB could have been talking about their private life. We have been watching many videos where the look like a kind of strange gay couple (remember the end of the I don't know what you want but I can't give it any more video, even with kids). Of course, they have been playing with it, I think it's too obvious.

G_Goalden

#42 Post by G_Goalden »

Who the hell is still defining people by their sexuality in 2021?

... or bothered about it for that matter? C'mon, "is he or isn't he?" and "are they or aren't they" discussions are "terribly old fashioned" aren't they.

I'm guessing on this forum we have a wide cross section of people, made up of a variety of ages, genders, ethnicities and even sexualities. I'm sure everyone has something in their personnel life that they don't want to share publicly. Money issues, drug/gambling addiction, mental health challenges and yes maybe even their sexuality; but we don't dig, demanding to know every minor detail of peoples lives.

Myself, I prefer to judge people on what they create - whether it's a song, a piece of art or post on a fan forum.

The 'output' is enough for me to fill in all the gaps. In the case of posters on here I've never met anyone in person, but I already have view of who is interesting, who has something to add, and who sounds like someone I'd like to go for a pint with and argue whether 'Very' is better than 'Actually'? I also have a good idea of who I wouldn't go for a pint with and to be honest it wouldn't make a scrap of difference whether they were straight or gay!

G.
Birmingham 1989 | Blackpool & Birmingham 1991| Savoy 1997 | Sheffield 1999 | Middlesbrough 2002 | Manchester 2006/9 | Manchester 2013 | ROH 2016 | RAH 2017

eastendboy

#43 Post by eastendboy »

It really doesn’t matter to me if they were ever a couple. It’s none of my business and if people want to speculate then that’s up to you. I have been lucky enough to meet them after their gig at heaven when the computers crashed. Chris could not stop laughing about it and Neil said he had no idea what to do. At that point I didn’t think ooh a gig in a gay club you must be gay I was just in awe to speak to them. Without being rude I don’t care about anyone’s sexuality I just hope that people are respectful of others and have good manners

markrobertnolan

#44 Post by markrobertnolan »

In short, yes.
Well said. I was about to say that growing up in Blackpool in the 80's and throughout my adult life in London and now in Manchester, until his death in 2004, my best friend Charlie, also a gay man was my best friend and we shared a love of all things Pet Shop Boys. Aged 16, I wore a Stephen Linscott type coat and Charlie was always more of a baseball cap and baseball jacket kind of guy (in fact it wasn't until we were seen together that we were accused of emulating our heroes and that was undeniable, if not deliberate.Quite embarassing when you are a year or so from being an adult...) None of it was about sex. We were best friends and we loved each other. Sex was never a consideration. Just deep emotinal feelings for each other. I would feel quite insulted if somebody raised an issue about our friendship by accusing one or either of us of being in love with the other. Of itself it's indicative of an abject lack of understanding. And, for those who want to, it's none of their business, of course.

y3potential

#45 Post by y3potential »

markrobertnolan wrote: Mon 18 Jan 2021, 7:04 pm
In short, yes.
Well said. I was about to say that growing up in Blackpool in the 80's and throughout my adult life in London and now in Manchester, until his death in 2004, my best friend Charlie, also a gay man was my best friend and we shared a love of all things Pet Shop Boys. Aged 16, I wore a Stephen Linscott type coat and Charlie was always more of a baseball cap and baseball jacket kind of guy (in fact it wasn't until we were seen together that we were accused of emulating our heroes and that was undeniable, if not deliberate.Quite embarassing when you are a year or so from being an adult...) None of it was about sex. We were best friends and we loved each other. Sex was never a consideration. Just deep emotinal feelings for each other. I would feel quite insulted if somebody raised an issue about our friendship by accusing one or either of us of being in love with the other. Of itself it's indicative of an abject lack of understanding. And, for those who want to, it's none of their business, of course.

This :up:
There is beauty in ugliness and ugliness in beauty.