Neil and Chris and their big secret we speculate about, from time to time

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.

Neil and Chris are...

A real couple
7%
Just friends
93%

Total votes: 27

Nickname

Neil and Chris and their big secret we speculate about, from time to time

#1 Post by Nickname »

It's funny because in the 80's, we didn't really know if they were gays. When Neil came out in the early 90's, we didn't not too much about Chris sexuality and some people thought he was bisexual. It was clear in the late 90's, Chris was gay too. The speculation about if they were a couple or not was something we've been talking about a lot on this forum in 2000. The last decade, we knew Neil liked Chris. We knew Chris liked Neil according to himself in 2020. So, there is one step left.

Neil likes Chris and Chris likes Neil. But according to Neil they didn't have sex (which is really difficult to think when you love each other) and they recognize themselves like friends. But maybe they are not sincere about it because it doesn't really look like that. They have been together much more time than many marriages. We have been speculating about that many times but I think I've never created a poll about it (maybe I'm wrong). In fact, I think this is the big secret about PSB after all these years.

StevePSB
Site Admin

Re: Neil and Chris and their big secret we speculate about, from time to time

#2 Post by StevePSB »

Scrape that barrel, Nickname.

StevePSB

tonipsb

#3 Post by tonipsb »

I can honestly say I haven't really considered them being a couple.

Not that I think it matters, but I think they're just great friends. Don't we all have that one friend we have a really special bond with and stick together through thick and thin over a long period of time?

y3potential

#4 Post by y3potential »

Oh dear.. :wall: :wall: :wall:
There is beauty in ugliness and ugliness in beauty.

Greendrake

#5 Post by Greendrake »

Nickname wrote: Fri 15 Jan 2021, 10:10 pm The last decade, we knew Neil liked Chris. We knew Chris liked Neil according to himself in 2020.
Can you give citations please?

Dog

#6 Post by Dog »

I am male. I am heterosexual. It is not a particularly defining part of my personality but I believe it to be a fact, as do my wife and presumably my children. I have many female friends. At work, I am in an otherwise entirely female team. A good number of these women are also my friends. All of these facts exist comfortably alongside each other and I am sure this is all entirely normal, routine and essentially boring.

Neil and Chris are great friends that work together but aren’t in a sexual relationship. This is very easy to appreciate. Let’s not get confused by sexuality, romance and proximity. And I like a good love story as much as the next person.

What is arguably unique about Neil and Chris is the longevity and closeness of their relationship within their particular industry. They are bonded by these decades of experience. They have been through so much together. But no part of this suggests they are or should be lovers.

Right now, their forty years of platonic friendship makes their very existence as a group as endearing and moving as any wedded partnership and anyone listening closely to Hotspot particularly can hear this love loud and clear.
Woof.

londonnoise

#7 Post by londonnoise »

Sigh. Neil is gay. He came out and said so.
Chris is either gay or not gay. Maybe there are clues in the music and lyrics, but we don't know that for 100%. Even here isn't a space for me to spout any theories.

But at the end of the day, who cares? I just hope that they keep making great music and keep living the lives each of them needs to be happy. :D

vincenzosz

#9 Post by vincenzosz »

Dog wrote: Sat 16 Jan 2021, 1:05 am I am male. I am heterosexual. It is not a particularly defining part of my personality but I believe it to be a fact, as do my wife and presumably my children. I have many female friends. At work, I am in an otherwise entirely female team. A good number of these women are also my friends. All of these facts exist comfortably alongside each other and I am sure this is all entirely normal, routine and essentially boring.

Neil and Chris are great friends that work together but aren’t in a sexual relationship. This is very easy to appreciate. Let’s not get confused by sexuality, romance and proximity. And I like a good love story as much as the next person.

What is arguably unique about Neil and Chris is the longevity and closeness of their relationship within their particular industry. They are bonded by these decades of experience. They have been through so much together. But no part of this suggests they are or should be lovers.

Right now, their forty years of platonic friendship makes their very existence as a group as endearing and moving as any wedded partnership and anyone listening closely to Hotspot particularly can hear this love loud and clear.
What a lovely thing to come out of such an asinine post.
Well said Dog!
I actually really admire Neil and Chris’s artistic, professional and personal relationship. I find them both very inspiring and it is a beautiful thing indeed, with music being one of the lovely things to come from it. 😊

PETHEAD72

#11 Post by PETHEAD72 »

Dog wrote: Sat 16 Jan 2021, 1:05 am I am male. I am heterosexual. It is not a particularly defining part of my personality but I believe it to be a fact, as do my wife and presumably my children. I have many female friends. At work, I am in an otherwise entirely female team. A good number of these women are also my friends. All of these facts exist comfortably alongside each other and I am sure this is all entirely normal, routine and essentially boring.

Well put dog,👌
You got a heart of glass or a heart of stone?

Oi!...got far to go have you?!... :lol:

Nickname

#12 Post by Nickname »

Neil and Chris play with that mistery many times. For exmple, the way they looked each other on Derek's video of Always on my mind. Even the end of performance with The Killers with the same song was like game a bit about it.

They know this speculation is on the air and they feel very confortable with it because it's part of the legendary mistery of PSB.

Some years ago someone came to this forum and started to talk about the history of PSB before they became the successful duo we know. The time of Smash Hits and the realationships were created at that time. I think the first song recorded by PSB, Dead of Night (Jealosy) talks about it.

telys

#13 Post by telys »

Hey, didn't somebody mention a couple of years ago that it was evident back in the early 80's that they were a couple when Chris came up to Smash Hits office for a visit.
Maybe it's a Eurythmics think were they were lovers in the very beginning but that it ended, and despite that they continued on as a musical partners
----
You've got me all wrong

djx

#14 Post by djx »

In the 80's when i learnt about the boys, i didn't care if they were gay as i liked the music.
In the 90's i didn't care if they were gay as i liked the music.
In the 00's i didn't care if they were gay as i liked the music.
In the 10's i didn't care if they were gay as i liked the music.
And here in the 20's i don't care if they are gay as i like the music.

Disco.

#15 Post by Disco. »

telys wrote: Sat 16 Jan 2021, 2:47 pm Hey, didn't somebody mention a couple of years ago that it was evident back in the early 80's that they were a couple when Chris came up to Smash Hits office for a visit.
Maybe it's a Eurythmics think were they were lovers in the very beginning but that it ended, and despite that they continued on as a musical partners
Neil has stated firmly that they have a very close relationship, but that it has nothing to do with sex.