News: "Chris and Neil have been at their homes, writing new songs and working on music for a new theatre production"

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
TallThinMan

Re: News: "Chris and Neil have been at their homes, writing new songs and working on music for a new theatre production"

#16 Post by TallThinMan »

Greendrake wrote: Thu 24 Dec 2020, 11:40 am Whatever they are working on now, I wonder how that is carried on technically. A big part of their drive has always been the joy of in-studio collaboration: Chris would noodle something on the keyboards, Neil would immediately come up with ideas how to develop that or lyrics. Sort of creative brainstorm. Now that has been taken away: they have to either attempt to be happy with some sort of online meeting software (e.g. Zoom) or simply chuck files backwards and forwards between each other incrementally building on them on their own.

psbfannyc

Re: News: "Chris and Neil have been at their homes, writing new songs and working on music for a new theatre production"

#17 Post by psbfannyc »

TallThinMan wrote: Thu 24 Dec 2020, 1:26 pm
Greendrake wrote: Thu 24 Dec 2020, 11:40 am Whatever they are working on now, I wonder how that is carried on technically. A big part of their drive has always been the joy of in-studio collaboration: Chris would noodle something on the keyboards, Neil would immediately come up with ideas how to develop that or lyrics. Sort of creative brainstorm. Now that has been taken away: they have to either attempt to be happy with some sort of online meeting software (e.g. Zoom) or simply chuck files backwards and forwards between each other incrementally building on them on their own.
I imagine that their songwriting journey is evolving. They are both so talented so I'm sure it is a good thing. Kylie Minogue admitted that during the recording of her recently released fun album "DISCO", due to Coronavirus and being in "lockdown" in England and also to preserve her voice, inside her home in London, she herself with no face-to-face help from a technician had to set up a microphone recording studio on her own and record the vocals for that fun disco album. So I am assuming Neil has had to do the same to record "guide vocals" for whatever they are working on for a release or for a future full-on production.

MD

#18 Post by MD »

Drico One wrote: Tue 22 Dec 2020, 8:42 pm Yes, surely both. The lockdown has been a boon for creatives in any field. Writing songs and making music is what Neil and Chris do. What else would they be doing to distract themselves and pass the time once they’d gone through their quota of decadence, dissolution and debauchery.

Drico.
Drico! Great to see you posting again! I was really worried we might not hear from you anymore. Glad to see you back. The forum just isn’t the same without you. Merry Christmas to everyone here at pet shop boys community
Last edited by MD on Wed 30 Dec 2020, 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Not everyone is lucky enough to understand how delicious it is to suffer"

glennjridge

#20 Post by glennjridge »

yeah I'd like to read that! I'd like to see what he thought about this...um... particular album. which reminds me I havent listened to it probably in 2 couple months

daveid

#21 Post by daveid »

When nothing appeared from Drico regarding the new album I assumed he was dead or, even worse, had become an Erasure fan. Glad he's still about after being away for what feels like years. How about some thoughts on Hotspot so we can all agree with you?

PopArt

#22 Post by PopArt »

Good to see you back Drico!

I am sure they have been writing loads during lockdown. What else is there to do? I imagine that a large part of their next album is now written. The question more is when we will hear any of it. I hope they put a new album out before they head off on the Dreamworld Tour (assuming it happens that is...) but we'll have to see. I am not holding my breath. If the tour gets put back again, which given the state of the UK and Europe right now is possible, maybe an album will follow.
I'm always waiting...

TallThinMan

#23 Post by TallThinMan »

One good thing to consider is that being a greatest hits tour, Dreamworld isn’t linked to Hotspot or the next album. In that sense they could tour at any time, pandemic permitting.

jasonjohn

#24 Post by jasonjohn »

Said it before, but Hotpot is the ultimate PSB “curse”.

I really wonder if they’d be cautious and postpone a real tour until way later, and maybe dispatch new material before hand.

PopKid78

#25 Post by PopKid78 »

As it will be over a year since The release of Hotspot, I think they’ll change their plans, and will now release a Greatest Hits to go along side the Dreamworld Tour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drico One

#26 Post by Drico One »

MD wrote: Fri 25 Dec 2020, 8:29 pm
Drico One wrote: Tue 22 Dec 2020, 8:42 pm Yes, surely both. The lockdown has been a boon for creatives in any field. Writing songs and making music is what Neil and Chris do. What else would they be doing to distract themselves and pass the time once they’d gone through their quota of decadence, dissolution and debauchery.

Drico.
Drico! Great to see you posting again! I was really worried we might not hear from you anymore. Glad to see you back. The forum just isn’t the same without you. Merry Christmas everyone to here at pet shop boys community
Oh hello, MD. Happy new year to you, Glenn, daveid, PopArt, and everybody else too forgettable to remember. May you all have the year you so richly deserve.

So, who’s up for a replay of 2020, then? 😜

Drico.

Note: The sentiments above may or may not be meant sincerely. It’s only a laugh, no harm done.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

cupoftea

#27 Post by cupoftea »

I hope they have enjoyed some time to relax, though I would like a new album asap, goes without saying.

Sage

#28 Post by Sage »

cupoftea wrote: Tue 29 Dec 2020, 8:01 pm I hope they have enjoyed some time to relax, though I would like a new album asap, goes without saying.
I agree! Give us an Electric to 2020's Elysium. Those two albums were 10 months apart.
Or look at the imperial phase in the 80's, a new album every year for 3 years in a row.

They were already working on the follow up album at the same time as Hotspot, evidenced by references to initially wanting to reserve Burning the Heather for the follow up album. So I can't imagine it's that far off.

I still think it'd be cool if they did Disco 5, some kind of remix project with big names. But a new album would be really welcome! Get it ready in time for the world's recovery from Covid. Imagine a new "Very" in a new decade, with society brimming with ambition and joy following the defeat of such an extreme pandemic.

vincenzosz

#29 Post by vincenzosz »

I am reading more and more the dissatisfaction with Hotspot. It’s no Elysium in my opinion, it’s got a much stronger set of songs.

If Burning the heather was meant for the next album I think you are going to be disappointed again, as I seems they are going for another “Release” like album. Which based on Burning the heather I’m really looking forward to.

I tend to not judge each album but eras as a whole, and the Hotspot era gave us lots of great songs.

psbfannyc

#30 Post by psbfannyc »

jasonjohn wrote: Tue 29 Dec 2020, 12:01 pm Said it before, but Hotpot is the ultimate PSB “curse”.

I really wonder if they’d be cautious and postpone a real tour until way later, and maybe dispatch new material before hand.
https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-55536355

This is an interesting article about the deadline looking to have to cancel 2021 summer festivals soon. I really wonder if 2021 concerts will actually take place or moved again to 2022? So much is happening right now and there needs to be a whole culture shift and systems in place to handle crowds.

And then I see that Ticketmaster will eventually have a "check your vaccine status" in your purchase. All that takes time to implement.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/busi ... erts-plan/