News: "Chris and Neil have been at their homes, writing new songs and working on music for a new theatre production"

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
psbfannyc

News: "Chris and Neil have been at their homes, writing new songs and working on music for a new theatre production"

#1 Post by psbfannyc »

https://www.petshopboys.co.uk/news/2020 ... -christmas

"Chris and Neil have been at their homes, writing new songs and working on music for a new theatre production."...I had hoped that they were working on new music during this Coronavirus humanitarian disaster...and they have been working on new music "at their homes". Cool.

"We hope that both the Dreamworld and Unity tours will be on the road in 2021.".....I really wonder if the 2021 postponed concerts will actually take place. So much uncertainty as we head into 2021 and governments across the planet are in full disarray with so many people dying. Rehearsals would usually start to take place 2 months before and "pre-production" usually starts 4 months before...so the whole affair to be taken globally would need to start taking place in January 2021 behind the scenes in order to be ready for a live show in May 2021. I really hope I get to see Neil and Chris perform in 2021...I need it!

rashomon

Re: News: "Chris and Neil have been at their homes, writing new songs and working on music for a new theatre production"

#2 Post by rashomon »

I'm thinking Dreamworld is likely to be very much in the balance - Jan/Feb are going to be grim.

Unity tour I'm more optimistic on - Sep is a way off and with the vaccines at least that provides some hope.
you could say conventional ... and I could claim intentional

Nickname

Re: News: "Chris and Neil have been at their homes, writing new songs and working on music for a new theatre production"

#3 Post by Nickname »

I think we could see the first PSB concerts in July. Before that, I don't expect too much.

Pod

#4 Post by Pod »

Theatre production? Oh no - I know some love these, but I’d prefer a new album - it’s what they do best. Still, grateful they are working I suppose.
Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning. :|
It shows the world that you've got substance and depth.

Dog

#5 Post by Dog »

Pod wrote:Theatre production? Oh no - I know some love these, but I’d prefer a new album - it’s what they do best. Still, grateful they are working I suppose.
Don’t forget Closer to Heaven the musical gave us Nightlife the album. It’s likely one would lead to the other.
Woof.

Patrick Bateman

#6 Post by Patrick Bateman »

You could read it as 'writing new songs' and 'working on music for a new theatre production'. After all, surely the music is part of the song.

Tom Angel

#7 Post by Tom Angel »

The government has its hand on the throat of the nation and will not be letting go in a hurry.

They want zero deaths from covid, which is an impossibility. We are to remain in lockdown for a long time to come. Sadly, I do not believe there will be any live gigs next year.
in suits or sequins/or twin sets and pearls

Pod

Re: News:

#8 Post by Pod »

Dog wrote: Tue 22 Dec 2020, 11:13 am
Pod wrote:Theatre production? Oh no - I know some love these, but I’d prefer a new album - it’s what they do best. Still, grateful they are working I suppose.
Don’t forget Closer to Heaven the musical gave us Nightlife the album. It’s likely one would lead to the other.
True Dog, true...
Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning. :|
It shows the world that you've got substance and depth.

TG

#9 Post by TG »

"Since then Chris and Neil have been at their homes, writing new songs and working on music for a new theatre production."

I'd say that was both.
People tell me I'm a legend round these parts

Drico One

#10 Post by Drico One »

Yes, surely both. The lockdown has been a boon for creatives in any field. Writing songs and making music is what Neil and Chris do. What else would they be doing to distract themselves and pass the time once they’d gone through their quota of decadence, dissolution and debauchery.

Drico.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

Dog

#11 Post by Dog »

I’m sure as soon as the tour went back by a year, Neil and Chris will have considered how they wanted to plug this time, particularly given the tour wasn’t connected to Hotspot. I would say there’s every chance we’ll see new material in the first half of next year.
Woof.

geowayne

#12 Post by geowayne »

They've long talked about expanding/modifying "A Man from the Future" into a more "theatrical" format, so I'm hoping that's the "theatrical production" they're working on.

retrofuturist

#14 Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Yes. I'd be pleased if "A Man From The Future" is what's being referenced... in part because it's already mostly (?) done, warrants a proper "release", and wouldn't be as time consuming as a brand new project.

I compare here the respective merits of Hotspot, versus, say... Muzik and My Beautiful Laundrette... and I'd much rather have them working on traditional Pet Shop Boys albums as much as possible.

Ultimately though, the choice is theirs, and that's a luxury well-earned.

Retro. :)

Greendrake

#15 Post by Greendrake »

Whatever they are working on now, I wonder how that is carried on technically. A big part of their drive has always been the joy of in-studio collaboration: Chris would noodle something on the keyboards, Neil would immediately come up with ideas how to develop that or lyrics. Sort of creative brainstorm. Now that has been taken away: they have to either attempt to be happy with some sort of online meeting software (e.g. Zoom) or simply chuck files backwards and forwards between each other incrementally building on them on their own.