It Doesn't Often Appear At Christmas

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Shopper

Re: It Doesn't Often Appear At Christmas

#31 Post by Shopper »

true...but it was not beyond them to release more commercial/uptempo stuff out of insecurity....eg. Where streets have no name, Very album (post Behaviour) etc...

in 1997 Spicemania was at its peak, but it would have made a Top 10 in the charts for sure
I was born in a hospital room with green walls, the doctor who delivered me wore a green overall, so did the nurses hovering around. So much greenery around, its no wonder that it is my favourite colour !

My Blog
On Facebook

Drico One

#32 Post by Drico One »

The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

Sage

#33 Post by Sage »

I heard It Doesn't Often Snow At Christmas today at Woolworths! (In Melbourne Australia)
How wonderful, even the spoken bit at the end. :D
I feel like I finally "get" the song now. It's not meant to be great, but a cheerful and ironic dabble in the tradition.

Drico One

#34 Post by Drico One »

It’s a lovely sweet song that hilariously rejects the artifice of Christmas in favour of what really matters.

It’s actually a very good example of a song that works as a hybrid of two of their greatest characteristics: semi-detached wry observation and romantic sincerity. Throw in a soupçon of playfulness and you’ve got many of the main ingredients of a classic Pet Shop Boys production.

Any song that calls out Bing Crosby for crimes against reality sits well with me.

Drico.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

Undertaker

#35 Post by Undertaker »

Chart wise, its only really ten years old, which is probably not old enough to properly surface yet. Most of the top 20 look like older songs re-charting. Chris Rea wasn't even a top 40 hit when first released. Now its peaked at 11.

The chart is an abomination. A national institution thats been ruined by rigging. The chart companies must have all sorts of download fixing going on. Mariah Carey has 'outsold' Wham by roughly 2 000 for the past 3 weeks. That there has to be proof its rigged. No way can it be coincidence.

For three years on the trot some Youtuber has been number 1 with some stupid record. Wtf is actually going on?

retrofuturist

#36 Post by retrofuturist »

That Boris Johnson song is timely. Got to #5 with no budget, no airplay and no label. Punk lives.

Patrick Bateman

#37 Post by Patrick Bateman »

Undertaker wrote: Sat 26 Dec 2020, 10:25 pm Chart wise, its only really ten years old, which is probably not old enough to properly surface yet. Most of the top 20 look like older songs re-charting. Chris Rea wasn't even a top 40 hit when first released. Now its peaked at 11.

The chart is an abomination. A national institution thats been ruined by rigging. The chart companies must have all sorts of download fixing going on. Mariah Carey has 'outsold' Wham by roughly 2 000 for the past 3 weeks. That there has to be proof its rigged. No way can it be coincidence.

For three years on the trot some Youtuber has been number 1 with some stupid record. Wtf is actually going on?
Masterson must be on suicide watch.

For me, once any old song could chart rather than simply singles it became meaningless. There was a week that Ed Sheeran had practically the entire top twenty, didn't he?

df118junkie

#38 Post by df118junkie »

Undertaker wrote: Sat 26 Dec 2020, 10:25 pm Chart wise, its only really ten years old, which is probably not old enough to properly surface yet. Most of the top 20 look like older songs re-charting. Chris Rea wasn't even a top 40 hit when first released. Now its peaked at 11.

Have a sausage roll and calm down.

stussyboy

#39 Post by stussyboy »

I heard IDOSAC in Macdonalds before Xmas. Most unexpected
NewYork London Tokyo LosAngeles

retrofuturist

#40 Post by retrofuturist »

Just curious... are people hearing the original 1997 (?) fan club version or the version off the Christmas EP?

llyn_psb

#41 Post by llyn_psb »

retrofuturist wrote: Wed 30 Dec 2020, 12:52 am Just curious... are people hearing the original 1997 (?) fan club version or the version off the Christmas EP?
I much prefer the original version.
You live in a world of excess, where more is more and less is much less

stussyboy

#42 Post by stussyboy »

retrofuturist wrote: Wed 30 Dec 2020, 12:52 am Just curious... are people hearing the original 1997 (?) fan club version or the version off the Christmas EP?
The new version for me
NewYork London Tokyo LosAngeles

Nickname

#43 Post by Nickname »

I really believe the song Joseph, Better You Than Me, with The Killers, Elton and Neil could have been a big classic too. It's such a good song.

tottenhammattspurs

#44 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

Whams Last Xmas is this weeks UK number one. So that puts Wham! on five UK number ones now and relegating the boys down to second pace as the British duo with most UK number ones.
is is and isnt isnt

Patrick Bateman

#45 Post by Patrick Bateman »

tottenhammattspurs wrote: Fri 01 Jan 2021, 8:14 pm Whams Last Xmas is this weeks UK number one. So that puts Wham! on five UK number ones now and relegating the boys down to second pace as the British duo with most UK number ones.
https://www.superdeluxeedition.com/feat ... uary-2021/