It Doesn't Often Appear At Christmas

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Patrick Bateman

Re: It Doesn't Often Appear At Christmas

#16 Post by Patrick Bateman »

That chart is unbelievable. Who'd have thought that Fulchester United's centre forward would be in the top ten in 2020?

Gabby

#17 Post by Gabby »

Nickname wrote: Fri 11 Dec 2020, 8:36 pm Say thanks to Mariah Carey and you know why:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=34451&p=601639#p601639
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000q2l5

UK's chart:
https://www.officialcharts.com/charts/
Thus just proves how laughably pointless the charts are now. Even on a good year in the 80s or 90s you'd have a handful of festive NEW releases and rest would be pretty much standard fare for the time. The chart now is riddled with old Xmas tracks because thats whats on their Spotify Playlist, not because they're actually buying or caring about it.

What a load of nonsense.

tottenhammattspurs

#18 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

Patrick Bateman wrote: Fri 11 Dec 2020, 11:56 pm That chart is unbelievable. Who'd have thought that Fulchester United's centre forward would be in the top ten in 2020?
Shaky’s goal scoring record speaks for itself. 😂
is is and isnt isnt

Marie loves PSB

#19 Post by Marie loves PSB »

Just found Lee Aaron on YouTube. They have covered It doesn’t often snow at Christmas :)

JJ Naas

#20 Post by JJ Naas »

I heard IDOSAC playing in a shopping centre in Helsinki last saturday.

jasonjohn

#21 Post by jasonjohn »

I don't know.

Might be alone here, but I think they stuffed up the re-release a few years back.

It's a good enough track to chart for Xmas, but the mix tries too hard, and the vocals in the versus are so grindingly metallic

Still hope for in a future year to release a new mix with warmer production, maybe even get some other guest vocalists in there.

Also this is one time selling-out to an ad campaign or promotion is entirely acceptable. That's exactly how most Xmas artefacts are born.

rashomon

#22 Post by rashomon »

I think you are spot on jasonjohn.

The track itself has all the ingredients to be a Christmas staple and if it was released as a proper single back in the day I'm pretty sure we'd be hearing it year on year. The lyrics are wry without being cynical and musically it is unmistakably festive. Also it's quite short so radio-friendly.

Think the idea of 'warming' it up would definitely help also!

The boys missed a trick with this one ... from an airplay perspective at least.
you could say conventional ... and I could claim intentional

Disco.

#23 Post by Disco. »

Great track !!

hotspotnot

#24 Post by hotspotnot »

rashomon wrote: Tue 15 Dec 2020, 9:48 am I think you are spot on jasonjohn.

The track itself has all the ingredients to be a Christmas staple and if it was released as a proper single back in the day I'm pretty sure we'd be hearing it year on year. The lyrics are wry without being cynical and musically it is unmistakably festive. Also it's quite short so radio-friendly.

Think the idea of 'warming' it up would definitely help also!

The boys missed a trick with this one ... from an airplay perspective at least.
It all came too late. By the time it had a wider release beyond the fanclub, they were destined to never have a big hit with it. It was hidden away on a "Christmas EP" that beyond this track and the Nutcracker sample on "All over the world" was not at all Christmassy.

Shopper

#25 Post by Shopper »

It's so annoying when mariah, pogues, GM all bound up the charts during Dec, but PSB's It Doesn't often.. is no where.

Do you think if they had released the song in 1997, when they were still commercial and impacting the single charts (atleast still getting into top 20), this could have gotten into the public consciousness and thus ensured a return every festive season?!!

A 2009 release was a little too late...
Left to my own devices, I probably would...

https://www.instagram.com/chit2clix/

Old Soak

#26 Post by Old Soak »

They are quite capable of writing another Christmas track, not a lot else to do in 2020! Plenty of artists have been recording complete surprise albums at home, wouldn't shock me if something magically appeared.
And at the end/ Your funny Uncle staring / At all your friends / With military bearing

Dog

#27 Post by Dog »

I think you have to reason that both musically and lyrically It doesn’t often snow isn’t a typical Christmas hit. It doesn’t therefore obviously fit alongside other festive classics.
Woof.

Blaahh

#28 Post by Blaahh »

I have heard IDOSAC three times on Radio 2 over the last week or so.

tottenhammattspurs

#29 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

Old Soak wrote: Thu 17 Dec 2020, 6:26 pm They are quite capable of writing another Christmas track, not a lot else to do in 2020! Plenty of artists have been recording complete surprise albums at home, wouldn't shock me if something magically appeared.
If they rocked up with a surprise Christmas album, that would be me done. I'd be out. Leave that c*** to Eras*re.
is is and isnt isnt

PopKid78

#30 Post by PopKid78 »

As far Christmas songs go, i quite like it, and it probably would’ve been a big hit if released in 97. But I’m so glad they didn’t release it. Back in 97 when Bilingual hadn’t sold as well as expected, with no big hit singles, it probably would’ve looked like they we’re desperate for a hit. I think at the time, and at this point in their career, most fans would’ve been against them releasing something like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk