Time to get ready for "Annually 2021"...out May 7, 2021

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Gabby

Re: Time to get ready for "Annually 2021"...out May 7, 2021

#196 Post by Gabby »

Ghost within this house wrote: Fri 05 Mar 2021, 7:13 pm Irrespective of the contributions of individual posters, this thread is another sad indictment of the fanbase.

Too much whingeing, and whatever happened to the humour?

We've got enough to whinge about in our lives without airing it all on here...
What you're forgetting is the fanbase used to be fresh faced teenagers from the 1980's/90's with no worries or responsibilities in the world, and an air of wonder and hope. Now we're all 50-ish grumpy bastards who've had all our youthful dreams destroyed. We've earned the right to whinge. :lol:

(and that was my attempt at humour by the way!)

leesmapman

#197 Post by leesmapman »

Gabby wrote: Fri 05 Mar 2021, 7:28 pm What you're forgetting is the fanbase used to be fresh faced teenagers from the 1980's/90's with no worries or responsibilities in the world, and an air of wonder and hope. Now we're all 50-ish grumpy bastards who've had all our youthful dreams destroyed. We've earned the right to whinge. :lol:
It is true actually...

Patrick Bateman

#198 Post by Patrick Bateman »

y3potential wrote: Fri 05 Mar 2021, 1:56 pmTotally agree. Breathtaking arrogance to suggest who is a bigger or lesser fan than someone else, purely on what items they have in their personal collections. I just assumed we are members here because we love the band and the music they have created over the past 35 years, not in a pissing contest over who has what etc.. But inevitably some fall into the trap of responding, thus giving these people what they're looking for. A reaction. I've done it myself, but now spend more time over at the new 'community'.. :dance:
Yes, I have bought most of their recent singles and albums but they sit in their boxes/sleeves because I only really use Spotify these days. I'm a hoarder. :wall: PSB fandom as defined by MC Tunes here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/57779449@ ... 891546902/

Greendrake

#199 Post by Greendrake »

trafaelwyr wrote: Fri 05 Mar 2021, 3:10 pm Opinions are like assholes. I'll leave it at that.
Too many assholes
Whinging in voices
Faeces in posts and
No one enjoys it
Last edited by Greendrake on Sat 06 Mar 2021, 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

trafaelwyr

#200 Post by trafaelwyr »

Greendrake wrote: Fri 05 Mar 2021, 11:00 pm
trafaelwyr wrote: Fri 05 Mar 2021, 3:10 pm Opinions are like assholes. I'll leave it at that.
Too many assholes
Whinging in voices
Faeces in posts and
No one rejoices
Lord Byron you are not. Don't give up the day job.

MikeyC

#201 Post by MikeyC »

This thread has taken a turn... 😲

Patrick Bateman

#202 Post by Patrick Bateman »

y3potential wrote: Fri 05 Mar 2021, 1:56 pmTotally agree. Breathtaking arrogance to suggest who is a bigger or lesser fan than someone else, purely on what items they have in their personal collections. I just assumed we are members here because we love the band and the music they have created over the past 35 years, not in a pissing contest over who has what etc.. But inevitably some fall into the trap of responding, thus giving these people what they're looking for. A reaction. I've done it myself, but now spend more time over at the new 'community'.. :dance:
Because PSB have always cared about their aesthetic, there has always been something very satisfying about owning their product, whether that was because of a sleeve you could marvel at or a detail in the typography. Even a weaker single or album can look beautiful. The downside of that is its commodification and how their art becomes more about its price on Discogs, rather than its intrinsic value. I think as the older fans die out :shifty:, there will be a change with younger fans who will never own the product but still love the back catalogue. It's probably already underway.

Tom Angel

#203 Post by Tom Angel »

Thanks for the MC tunes singles reviews!!

Very entertaining.
in suits or sequins/or twin sets and pearls

Hillbilly

#204 Post by Hillbilly »

hotspotnot wrote: Fri 05 Mar 2021, 12:07 pm FFS fans have their own reasons for not buying any of the merchandise PSB put out there.

I used to be a completist, but then other priorities in my life took over. My CD singles collection is patchy now because I haven't bought any of the CD singles from Elysium, Electric, Super and Hotspot. I just didn't need them and I wouldn't be playing them. I buy their albums on CD, download anything extra.

I've not decided yet about Annually 2021. I bought last year's one but haven't listened to the Beautiful Laundrette CD.
I wish had bought that one, since Beautiful Laundrette has not been released elsewhere. I bought the issue with the Agenda EP, but that one was later released on streaming services anyway! I expected Beautiful Laundrette to be released digitally as well. That was a disappointment to me, so now I'm considering buying the next Annually in case that the new track will be unavailable elsewhere... If I knew it will be released on Spotify and so on, I pass!

telys

#205 Post by telys »

hotspotnot wrote: Fri 05 Mar 2021, 12:07 pm

I used to be a completist, but then other priorities in my life took over. My CD singles collection is patchy now because I haven't bought any of the CD singles from Elysium, Electric, Super and Hotspot. I just didn't need them and I wouldn't be playing them. I buy their albums on CD, download anything extra.

I've not decided yet about Annually 2021. I bought last year's one but haven't listened to the Beautiful Laundrette CD.
Being a completist kind of lost its meaning when they started releasing crap remixes in the 90's and stuffing singles/maxis witha plethora of these crap remixes. Sometimes I get the feeling PSB don't understand that it's the living room where people listen to their music, not on the dancefloor.
----
You've got me all wrong

Greendrake

#206 Post by Greendrake »

Hillbilly wrote: Wed 17 Mar 2021, 9:05 am If I knew it will be released on Spotify and so on, I pass!
Wondering what you all Spotify admirers gonna do in the event of a global, long standing Internet blackout.

onzio

#207 Post by onzio »

Gabby wrote: Fri 05 Mar 2021, 7:28 pm What you're forgetting is the fanbase used to be fresh faced teenagers from the 1980's/90's with no worries or responsibilities in the world, and an air of wonder and hope. Now we're all 50-ish grumpy bastards who've had all our youthful dreams destroyed. We've earned the right to whinge. :lol:
Hey, I'm still in my forties, but I jump on the bandwagon! :mrgreen:
The Onzio on Spotify
The Onzio on YouTube
Expressing passion, explaining pain
This is my kind of music

Future Lover

#208 Post by Future Lover »

Greendrake wrote: Wed 17 Mar 2021, 9:51 am
Hillbilly wrote: Wed 17 Mar 2021, 9:05 am If I knew it will be released on Spotify and so on, I pass!
Wondering what you all Spotify admirers gonna do in the event of a global, long standing Internet blackout.
Erm, use legal downloads and listen at home? Or slightly less legal, but you get my point.

hotspotnot

#209 Post by hotspotnot »

Greendrake wrote: Wed 17 Mar 2021, 9:51 am
I've still got plenty of music on CD so I'd be okay until the blackouts start.
Working the wheel. One eye alert and one asleep.

Old Soak

#210 Post by Old Soak »

Gabby wrote: Fri 05 Mar 2021, 7:28 pm
Ghost within this house wrote: Fri 05 Mar 2021, 7:13 pm Irrespective of the contributions of individual posters, this thread is another sad indictment of the fanbase.

Too much whingeing, and whatever happened to the humour?

We've got enough to whinge about in our lives without airing it all on here...
What you're forgetting is the fanbase used to be fresh faced teenagers from the 1980's/90's with no worries or responsibilities in the world, and an air of wonder and hope. Now we're all 50-ish grumpy bastards who've had all our youthful dreams destroyed. We've earned the right to whinge. :lol:

Hey, I'm an over 60's even grumpier bastard you cheeky young whippersnapper! :lol: The good news is the older you get the more you can get away with it. And there's more things to moan about too.
And at the end/ Your funny Uncle staring / At all your friends / With military bearing