Time to get ready for "Annually 2021"...out May 7, 2021

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Gabby

Re: Time to get ready for "Annually 2021"...out May 7, 2021

#151 Post by Gabby »

Yeah even ordering a book from Amazon UK is extortionate for shipping costs internationally. I suspect PSB (or rather Digital Stores) are hamstrung because of the likes of Amazon taking advantage of, and getting caught, with off shore shipping and we all get to suffer as a result.

I'm still ordering though as I know if I don't I will ultimately regret it.

Old Soak

#152 Post by Old Soak »

Machu wrote: Mon 01 Mar 2021, 9:28 pm Sorry...but what is the exact meaning of "cricket wife". I am a native spanish speaker. Thank you.
I wouldn't be surprised if it was a typical Neil play on words, in this case Golf widow:

"Golf widow - a wife who is left alone much of the time because her husband is playing golf"

It could alternatively be a play on WAGs:

"WAGs (or Wags) is an acronym used to refer to wives and girlfriends of high-profile sports persons". More usually associated with football however, and usually used disparagingly for people simply famous for no particular reason by association.
And at the end/ Your funny Uncle staring / At all your friends / With military bearing

Old Soak

#153 Post by Old Soak »

Gabby wrote: Tue 02 Mar 2021, 12:05 am Yeah even ordering a book from Amazon UK is extortionate for shipping costs internationally. I suspect PSB (or rather Digital Stores) are hamstrung because of the likes of Amazon taking advantage of, and getting caught, with off shore shipping and we all get to suffer as a result.

Welcome to the Brexit...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYMUxL7pSNc
And at the end/ Your funny Uncle staring / At all your friends / With military bearing

Gabby

#154 Post by Gabby »

Old Soak wrote: Tue 02 Mar 2021, 12:55 am
Gabby wrote: Tue 02 Mar 2021, 12:05 am Yeah even ordering a book from Amazon UK is extortionate for shipping costs internationally. I suspect PSB (or rather Digital Stores) are hamstrung because of the likes of Amazon taking advantage of, and getting caught, with off shore shipping and we all get to suffer as a result.

Welcome to the Brexit...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYMUxL7pSNc
Lol. If that isn't a stiff middle finger to Britain nothing is. Bit childish really though...

Andie

#155 Post by Andie »

Ordered! :D
Don’t be scared, for only the dark can show you the stars

Dog

Time to get ready for "Annually 2021"...out May 7, 2021

#156 Post by Dog »

Old Soak wrote:
Machu wrote: Mon 01 Mar 2021, 9:28 pm Sorry...but what is the exact meaning of "cricket wife". I am a native spanish speaker. Thank you.
I wouldn't be surprised if it was a typical Neil play on words, in this case Golf widow:

"Golf widow - a wife who is left alone much of the time because her husband is playing golf"

It could alternatively be a play on WAGs:

"WAGs (or Wags) is an acronym used to refer to wives and girlfriends of high-profile sports persons". More usually associated with football however, and usually used disparagingly for people simply famous for no particular reason by association.
My assumption is that it is closer to Soccer Mom, in that it refers to a married woman who is happy to take up a supportive role in the shadow of her husband’s hobby (playing cricket), particularly by preparing food and drink at the clubhouse, and washing cricket whites. There’s the opportunity for the lyric to take a similar line to Rent - a study of a woman happy to push aside her own aspirations in return for love.
Last edited by Dog on Tue 02 Mar 2021, 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Woof.

oakey

#157 Post by oakey »

Spittingcat wrote: Mon 01 Mar 2021, 11:43 pm
Anyway it is annoyoing that they do not have a store in the EU. They even have a Berlin residency, so it should not be that complicated. They are very popular in many EU countries.
They won’t want their own shop. They’re musicians, not traders. The UK one is a fulfilment company doing everything for them (Digital Stores). Perhaps they could signup with a second provider, but then there’s two lots of stock, two e-commerce sites, and on…
Wel they could have omitted the UK VAT for EU customers, like any other UK online store does after Brexit, thus saving every EU buyer €15-20 in fees and taxes...

And of course they are not store owners, but plenty of other artists have set up multiple stores: US, UK, EU etc. I was just making the point that the Boys popularity in the EU is as big as in the UK (but there are way more potential customers in the EU of course). Especially now direct marketing is the thing for artists, they at least could have cared as it's their brand. I also think many people will be surprised if the customs invoice falls on their doormat, as the price is listed in € but you have to go for the small print to see that it is shipped from the UK and that additional fees may be charged upon reception.

But who knows, maybe you're lucky with the customs, maybe not. The book will indeed sell out because of the CD, but so do the Vinyl Factory copies of their albums. I am just not buying them. But if you're a completist, you of course have to get it (I am not).

I'll just buy the 3-disc Live in Rio release which is less than half the cost of this CD and I will probably watch and listen to more often.

telys

#158 Post by telys »

This is going to be expensive, probably around 40-45 €.
I remember when I bought the maxi-cd collection many yeas ago. A steep price for 4 discs with very little music.... but in the end it was worth it. Not so sure about this stuff though...
----
You've got me all wrong

Sage

#159 Post by Sage »

I didn't even look at the price.
I'm surprised the handful of most dedicated fans are opting out of picking this up.
Imagine if they stopped making these. No more diaries, no more insider information, no more behind the scenes photos, no more questions from the fans, etc.
They've just decided to use these Annuallies to release new music. A whole year (if not more) of note taking and work is put into this book. It's really priceless.
And you guys just fob it off.
Remember last year the preorders didn't even sell out. Honestly they might stop making these if we don't all buy a copy.

moxlox

Re: Time to get ready for "Annually 2021"...

#160 Post by moxlox »

Ghost within this house wrote: Sat 27 Feb 2021, 11:09 am From the Member's End.....
:D :clap: :dance:

Brilliant.

Also fab news.

My other thought on hearing this: n-n-n-n-nineteen and not out.
Circuses and Bread

psbfannyc

#161 Post by psbfannyc »

Sage wrote: Tue 02 Mar 2021, 2:15 pm I didn't even look at the price.
I'm surprised the handful of most dedicated fans are opting out of picking this up.
Imagine if they stopped making these. No more diaries, no more insider information, no more behind the scenes photos, no more questions from the fans, etc.
They've just decided to use these Annuallies to release new music. A whole year (if not more) of note taking and work is put into this book. It's really priceless.
Remember last year the preorders didn't even sell out. Honestly they might stop making these if we don't all buy a copy.
It is so true...but in a year filled with nightmare forced decisions, catastrophic death, dwindling funds, threats to livelihoods, uncertainties, countries not getting along and resulting trickle effects, nothing making sense anymore except everyone needs to try and save themselves as best they can...it's hard to invest in such fabulous art. But you are right...and of course it is important to remember that everything in life is temporary so.....do what you can to get such a beautiful curated piece of art of from Neil and Chris until the eventual day when that won't happen.

Gabby

#162 Post by Gabby »

psbfannyc wrote: Tue 02 Mar 2021, 2:37 pm
Sage wrote: Tue 02 Mar 2021, 2:15 pm I didn't even look at the price.
It is so true...but in a year filled with nightmare forced decisions, catastrophic death, dwindling funds, threats to livelihoods, uncertainties, countries not getting along and resulting trickle effects, nothing making sense anymore except everyone needs to try and save themselves as best they can...it's hard to invest in such fabulous art. But you are right...and of course it is important to remember that everything in life is temporary so.....do what you can to get such a beautiful curated piece of art of from Neil and Chris until the eventual day when that won't happen.
I've also become a bit of a completist. I also buy 2 copies...one to open and one to keep mint - only one year I didn't do that (for reasons I still cannot explain) and I completely regret it now. What was I thinking?!

Any new CD single from the Boys is going in my collection. Price is....within reason....no object. How many copies of Agenda, Undertow, Launderette are there? They are limited run for sure. How do the quantities produced compare to one of their most collectible fan club CD's IDOSAC?

leesmapman

#163 Post by leesmapman »

It just occured to me... we get a CD with unique PSB material every year now (save for one issue, that is). That's pretty generous.

tottenhammattspurs

#164 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

Can’t believe people (fans as well!) that are considering not buying this? I assume that when it does come out, you won’t be asking for what the content is, screenshots and mp3 requests? Cmon, it was said earlier, this is realistically the last decade of PSB. If the hardcore fans won’t buy this book then there won’t be one in two years time. Then you’ll all moan that there isn’t one. Yeah the vat and import costs and brexit shambles pushed the price up but it’s hardly their fault is it?
is is and isnt isnt

Disco.

#165 Post by Disco. »

The really pathetic ting,is when people won’t buy it, but still want information or mp3s you name it. I have no respect for that whatsoever ! Cheapskates!!