Now 7 on CD

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Future Lover

Re: Now 7 on CD

#16 Post by Future Lover »

Whoop, so exciting!

canveyboy

#17 Post by canveyboy »

canveyboy wrote: Fri 27 Nov 2020, 12:44 pm It actually exists!!!! Now to find out....

4FED2CE9-247F-42CB-9ED5-5DEF6C820321.jpeg
Well...

It’s not the Matrix mix 🙄 obvs!!

It’s not the 7” single 🙄🙄

It’s not the album version 🙄🙄🙄

It’s not even the original 1985 7”....quite 🙄🙄🙄😆

It’s.......

The full length 7” mix.....from Further Listening? i.e the previously unreleased unedited mix of the original 1985 7”. WTF?
Its taken me all of my life to find you

boyjohn

#19 Post by boyjohn »

If they were going to put the wrong version on, then I'm glad they picked this one. Much better than the "hit" 7" version.
“Unless you consciously include, you will unconsciously exclude”
-Stephen Frost

trafaelwyr

#21 Post by trafaelwyr »

fascinating read, that site. who knew these compilations could be riddled with so many mistakes. on the other hand, sometimes gems do turn up on comps, but clearly not on the Now series.

One of the crowd

#22 Post by One of the crowd »

Credits listed as "Chris Lowe/Neil Tennant" on this CD reissue of Now 8 whreas on its original issue its "Tennant/Lowe"
Fishing

Patrick Bateman

#23 Post by Patrick Bateman »

It's pretty impressive they're still releasing Now albums. I can understand how in 1986 they would be a great way of someone getting all the recent chart hits on one album, but now they seem unnecessary for so many reasons. One imagines younger people would be the target market but surely younger people don't need to buy a CD with tracks they can get themselves with a click of a button? It's weird.

Now 6 was one of the first albums I owned and I can still recall every note of most of those tracks for that reason.

tottenhammattspurs

#24 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

Patrick Bateman wrote: Thu 11 Mar 2021, 4:14 pm It's pretty impressive they're still releasing Now albums. I can understand how in 1986 they would be a great way of someone getting all the recent chart hits on one album, but now they seem unnecessary for so many reasons. One imagines younger people would be the target market but surely younger people don't need to buy a CD with tracks they can get themselves with a click of a button? It's weird.

Now 6 was one of the first albums I owned and I can still recall every note of most of those tracks for that reason.
They still sell well enough and I think its an older demographic who buy them. After all, it's literally the only way you can get "lossless" / physical copies of the hits.
is is and isnt isnt

oakey

#25 Post by oakey »

tottenhammattspurs wrote: Thu 11 Mar 2021, 5:42 pm
Patrick Bateman wrote: Thu 11 Mar 2021, 4:14 pm It's pretty impressive they're still releasing Now albums. I can understand how in 1986 they would be a great way of someone getting all the recent chart hits on one album, but now they seem unnecessary for so many reasons. One imagines younger people would be the target market but surely younger people don't need to buy a CD with tracks they can get themselves with a click of a button? It's weird.

They still sell well enough and I think its an older demographic who buy them. After all, it's literally the only way you can get "lossless" / physical copies of the hits.
The Now CDs are exclusively a nostalgia thing for those who grew up in the 80s as these pre 1988 are either hard to find on CD or have never been released in that format.

I find it hard to believe they will continue with these reissues into the 90s, as every thrift store or fleamarket sells the Now CDs from the 90s in large numbers for pennies and nobody is interested.

Young people do not buy CDs but vinyl or they stream.

matt74uk

#26 Post by matt74uk »

So do we place bets for what version of Suburbia will be on Now 8? Is it going to be:

a. The "video" mix from PopArt
b. The single mix from Discography
c. A complete c*** up and they end up with the remastered album mix from Please as it's the "newest"?

One of the crowd

#27 Post by One of the crowd »

Anyone know what version of Suburbia is in the new issue of Now 8?
Fishing

Kobalt Blew

#28 Post by Kobalt Blew »

The Years & Years It's a sin version on CD - track 21:

https://store.hmv.com/store/music/music ... music!-108
previously Parlophoney.

stormynight

#29 Post by stormynight »

One of the crowd wrote: Fri 26 Mar 2021, 10:50 pm Anyone know what version of Suburbia is in the new issue of Now 8?
I just checked Discogs. It says running time is 4.01m. So this has to be the Single Version (as it is the on Discography).
Did you ever walk on a stormy night...

canveyboy

#30 Post by canveyboy »

stormynight wrote: Sat 27 Mar 2021, 7:10 am
One of the crowd wrote: Fri 26 Mar 2021, 10:50 pm Anyone know what version of Suburbia is in the new issue of Now 8?
I just checked Discogs. It says running time is 4.01m. So this has to be the Single Version (as it is the on Discography).
My copy of NOW 8 arrived in the post yesterday and I can confirm it is indeed the single version.

In fact I think this is the first reissue to contain all the original tracks in their original form. I genuinely can’t hear any song on this reissue that doesn’t sound like an original 7” mix. I’m sure they’ll be someone who says this track or the other isn’t the exact same mix used on the original issue but if it’s close enough to the original then that’s god for me. But they really do all sound like 7” single mixes to me!

Talking of PSB on compilation albums, last night I discovered that 115 songs from the Live8 concert in 2005 has been released on iTunes and Apple Music. I’m not sure if it’s always been there but I downloaded it to keep anyway. Was it released at the same time they released the full Live Aid concert? Anyway, the PSB live version of Go West is included so it’s nice to have an official release of that. Some great songs on there but sadly missing the Pink Floyd performance!
Its taken me all of my life to find you