Further Listening in the future?

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Thomas30

Further Listening in the future?

#1 Post by Thomas30 »

Will there be further listening versions of electric, super & Hotspot in the future?

miserabalism

Re: Further Listening in the future?

#2 Post by miserabalism »

The albums after the Parlophone era. My guess would be yes.

psbfannyc

#3 Post by psbfannyc »

Oh I'm sure...yes. And now with PSB quietly, yet publicly aligning with Warner Music as shown in the footer of their website earlier this year (© 2020 WARNER MUSIC UK LIMITED), they can get the resources to do another round of "Further Listening" efforts for "Electric", "Super", "Hotspot" and perhaps whatever the next album is sometime in the future. Speaking of which...I can't imagine either of them wasting valuable "corona time" not being creative and working on new music. My hunch is they both "self-quarantined" wherever they are in England and then got together and are now currently quietly working on the next round of music. Just a hunch.

daveid

#4 Post by daveid »

It would be lovely if there were a new album next year. Hostpot was mostly recorded in 2018 so it's not exactly new material any more

Gabby

#5 Post by Gabby »

daveid wrote: Sun 15 Nov 2020, 4:57 pm It would be lovely if there were a new album next year. Hostpot was mostly recorded in 2018 so it's not exactly new material any more
"Hostpot", the new album from Pink Floyd?! :shock:

daveid

#6 Post by daveid »

Gabby wrote: Mon 16 Nov 2020, 1:10 am
daveid wrote: Sun 15 Nov 2020, 4:57 pm It would be lovely if there were a new album next year. Hostpot was mostly recorded in 2018 so it's not exactly new material any more
"Hostpot", the new album from Pink Floyd?! :shock:
Sorry I mean "Potshot"

OakeyDokey

#7 Post by OakeyDokey »

What about super deluxe editions of the albums starting from scratch? Odd in a way they just reissued the Further Listening in the last couple of years when there is a clear vogue for artists doing the big boxsets of individual albums/eras.

hotspotnot

#8 Post by hotspotnot »

It was a massive missed opportunity to not pad about the first 6 further listening CDs. It makes no sense that the first batch only have one bonus disc and then Nightlife, Release and Yes have two bonus discs.
Working the wheel. One eye alert and one asleep.

y3potential

#9 Post by y3potential »

hotspotnot wrote: Mon 16 Nov 2020, 1:33 pm It was a massive missed opportunity to not pad about the first 6 further listening CDs. It makes no sense that the first batch only have one bonus disc and then Nightlife, Release and Yes have two bonus discs.
Neil did mention in one of the interviews for the more recent Further Listenings about reissuing the older ones differently or as is and stated both he and Chris were conscious of not fleecing the fans or words to that effect. If I find the link, I'll post it here..
There is beauty in ugliness and ugliness in beauty.

hotspotnot

#10 Post by hotspotnot »

y3potential wrote: Mon 16 Nov 2020, 1:50 pm
hotspotnot wrote: Mon 16 Nov 2020, 1:33 pm It was a massive missed opportunity to not pad about the first 6 further listening CDs. It makes no sense that the first batch only have one bonus disc and then Nightlife, Release and Yes have two bonus discs.
Neil did mention in one of the interviews for the more recent Further Listenings about reissuing the older ones differently or as is and stated both he and Chris were conscious of not fleecing the fans or words to that effect. If I find the link, I'll post it here..
Oh yes I vaguely remember that too. And yet how many fans went out and bought the first six again anyway 🤦‍♂️
Working the wheel. One eye alert and one asleep.

Sage

#11 Post by Sage »

Maybe in a few years time, but it's too soon at the moment.

There are plenty of non-album tracks from the X2 era and Stuart Price trilogy for such a thing,
but to me the big appeal is previously unreleased material.
They can still use songs written and demoed recently for upcoming projects.
I think I'd rather new conceptualised albums and EPs instead of unfinished demos in a compilation.
psbfannyc wrote: Sun 15 Nov 2020, 3:40 pm Oh I'm sure...yes. And now with PSB quietly, yet publicly aligning with Warner Music as shown in the footer of their website earlier this year (© 2020 WARNER MUSIC UK LIMITED), they can get the resources to do another round of "Further Listening" efforts for "Electric", "Super", "Hotspot" and perhaps whatever the next album is sometime in the future. Speaking of which...I can't imagine either of them wasting valuable "corona time" not being creative and working on new music. My hunch is they both "self-quarantined" wherever they are in England and then got together and are now currently quietly working on the next round of music. Just a hunch.
Yep!
It makes me smile. They're both fairly quiet at the moment (which is appropriate in a way) but we know Neil & Chris are a creative force who won't be able to help themselves from making something new through all these months. Especially when they were already talking about the next album during Hotspot promotions.

OakeyDokey

#12 Post by OakeyDokey »

y3potential wrote: Mon 16 Nov 2020, 1:50 pm
So why replicate the 2001 versions then?! I think he did say people who had the earlier reissues shouldn't buy the new editions.

But with a sizeable captive audience, why not clean-up some demos/live material, add a nice book or something and charge us thirty or forty quid which we'll (mostly) happily pay.
Opportunities, you know...

Dog

#13 Post by Dog »

hotspotnot wrote:It was a massive missed opportunity to not pad about the first 6 further listening CDs. It makes no sense that the first batch only have one bonus disc and then Nightlife, Release and Yes have two bonus discs.
Neil made the point that they became more prolific at this point and that there was simply more master quality finished material to share.
Woof.

retrofuturist

#14 Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
Dog wrote: Mon 16 Nov 2020, 7:54 pm
hotspotnot wrote:It was a massive missed opportunity to not pad about the first 6 further listening CDs. It makes no sense that the first batch only have one bonus disc and then Nightlife, Release and Yes have two bonus discs.
Neil made the point that they became more prolific at this point and that there was simply more master quality finished material to share.
It was also more time between albums...

Retro. :)

glennjridge

#15 Post by glennjridge »

I dont see them releasing a new album of new material until the pandemic is far in the rear view. I think they enjoy the dance...recording an album, releasing it and then touring. I dont see them doing another album when even if they released a new album...THAT tour would be in jeopardy just like the last one. things are moving along now and although the light is at the end of the tunnel...its still a kinda long tunnel.