If PSB top 5, who are other 4?

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Pod

Re: If PSB top 5, who are other 4?

#61 Post by Pod »

PSB
New Order
Orbital
KLF
Erasure
Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning. :|
It shows the world that you've got substance and depth.

herts101

#62 Post by herts101 »

The Divine Comedy
The Proclaimers
Bruce Springsteen
Take That

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dog

#63 Post by Dog »

Pet Shop Boys
New Order
The KLF
Kraftwerk
Suede
Woof.

Patrick Bateman

#64 Post by Patrick Bateman »

David Bowie
Joy Division/New Order
Ludwig Van
The Beatles

stussyboy

#65 Post by stussyboy »

PSB
Suede
New Order
Pulp
Smiths / La Moz

4 great lyricists & Barney
NewYork London Tokyo LosAngeles

Gabby

#66 Post by Gabby »

Feck, forgot Electronic. Maybe switch them out for Queen in my picks...I guess I kind of lump that in with New Order but really shouldn't.

PSBForTheMasses

#67 Post by PSBForTheMasses »

I love Electronic as well but I never considered them a proper band but rather a side project (and that was what they really were). Besides three albums do not make a "top 5 act" for me. The common characteristic of lots of acts listed here is their longevity, meaning that they stood the test of time. Imagine PSB had left it after the release of Introspective. Would anyone still know or listen to them, let alone list them as a favourite act? Maybe West End Girls and It's a Sin ony, and many would consider them one-hit wonder.

Dog

#68 Post by Dog »

PSBForTheMasses wrote:I love Electronic as well but I never considered them a proper band but rather a side project (and that was what they really were). Besides three albums do not make a "top 5 act" for me. The common characteristic of lots of acts listed here is their longevity, meaning that they stood the test of time. Imagine PSB had left it after the release of Introspective. Would anyone still know or listen to them, let alone list them as a favourite act? Maybe West End Girls and It's a Sin ony, and many would consider them one-hit wonder.
I tend to agree with you but equally Johnny only produced four albums as part of The Smiths and was arguably a member of Electronjc for a lot longer too.

I like it when Neil introduces Johnny onstage as the guitarist from Electronic, rather than The Smiths that he is obviously far more well known for.
Woof.

PSBForTheMasses

#69 Post by PSBForTheMasses »

Dog wrote: Sat 14 Nov 2020, 10:56 am
PSBForTheMasses wrote:I love Electronic as well but I never considered them a proper band but rather a side project (and that was what they really were). Besides three albums do not make a "top 5 act" for me. The common characteristic of lots of acts listed here is their longevity, meaning that they stood the test of time. Imagine PSB had left it after the release of Introspective. Would anyone still know or listen to them, let alone list them as a favourite act? Maybe West End Girls and It's a Sin ony, and many would consider them one-hit wonder.
I tend to agree with you but equally Johnny only produced four albums as part of The Smiths and was arguably a member of Electronjc for a lot longer too.

I like it when Neil introduces Johnny onstage as the guitarist from Electronic, rather than The Smiths that he is obviously far more well known for.
I got your point. I have always been curious about what the Smiths fans were thinking about Electronic (and Marr's collaborations in PSB albums as well). I have the vague impression that they were not very fond of the Boys but it may be my imagination.

OakeyDokey

#70 Post by OakeyDokey »

PSBForTheMasses wrote: Sat 14 Nov 2020, 10:49 am I love Electronic as well but I never considered them a proper band but rather a side project (and that was what they really were). Besides three albums do not make a "top 5 act" for me. The common characteristic of lots of acts listed here is their longevity, meaning that they stood the test of time. Imagine PSB had left it after the release of Introspective. Would anyone still know or listen to them, let alone list them as a favourite act? Maybe West End Girls and It's a Sin ony, and many would consider them one-hit wonder.
Its a valid point but in the case of the Pets, the first three albums are gold standard when it comes to a certain style of pop i.e arty/synth. Therefore I think their legacy would be assured. I think most people's enjoyment out of them stems more from their 1980s output possibly than the following three decades combined.

StevePSB
Site Admin

#71 Post by StevePSB »

Electronic weren't exactly prolific, but lasted 10 years. I'd class that as 'legit'.

Definitely in my top 5 of all time and have been since I first heard their their first album.

StevePSB

ZiggyPSB

#72 Post by ZiggyPSB »

PSB
David Bowie
Robbie Williams
Queen
The Divine Comedy
I'm a proud sycophant because I like Wedding in Berlin
http://www.last.fm/user/FFancy24
Dublin 19/06/2011, Manchester 20/06/2013, Edinburgh 31/12/2013, London 23/07/2014, London 23/07/2016, London 02/04/2017

drunk14

#73 Post by drunk14 »

Hmmm, hard task, but let's say...

PSB
R.E.M.
Depeche Mode

...and there are a lot of contenders:

The Divine Comedy
Saint Etienne
Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds
Yello
Blur
Pulp
Suede
XTC
Stereolab

Broad group, but that's all.
I've been around the world for a number of reasons. I've seen it all the change of seasons, and I, my lord, may I say nothing?

sharky

#74 Post by sharky »

PSB
Boards of Canada
Aphex Twin
Autechre
Moby

It can be two things

#75 Post by It can be two things »

It can be two things wrote: Fri 13 Nov 2020, 1:30 pm
It can be two things wrote: Thu 12 Nov 2020, 10:29 am
NikacP0kac wrote: Thu 12 Nov 2020, 8:51 am

A whopping 18 times mentioned. Depeche Mode, on the other hand, only 8 times.
Top 5 non-PSB top 5s to date (out of 58 entries so far):
New Order: 32
Depeche Mode: 14
Erasure: 9
St Etienne: 9
Kraftwerk: 8
Updated updated numbers above.