Your favourite Second

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
stopthecar

Re: Your favourite Second

#16 Post by stopthecar »

This.

The drumpart at the start of Paninaro I have as a notification sound on my phone.

y3potential

#17 Post by y3potential »

stopthecar wrote: Wed 11 Nov 2020, 10:28 am This.

The drumpart at the start of Paninaro I have as a notification sound on my phone.
The first minute of Paninaro is my alarm and ringtone. The looks I get when my phone rings in Sainsbury's..
There is beauty in ugliness and ugliness in beauty.

PSBForTheMasses

#18 Post by PSBForTheMasses »

y3potential wrote: Tue 10 Nov 2020, 1:56 pm Two parts of Always on my Mind. The initial sound effect right at the beginning (What is that..?) and then at the end of the instrumental break just before Neil comes back in with "little things I should have said and done" where it goes into a higher key. The zenith of the Imperial era right there ! And also the first Timpani drum roll that kickstarts Paninaro.
I always thought it as the barking/ howling of a muscular and angry bulldog. lol :)

Easy: Always on my mind; right after Neil sings for the last time "you were always on my mind" and the glasses crash for one more final time and every single sound in the song culminates altogether with a wistful autumnal sound in the background until the very end of it.

And the beginning of chorus in It Couldn't Happen Here right after the bridge reaches its crescendo -shivers-

Markpro

#19 Post by Markpro »

Just after the second plane flies by on the intro of Fugitive... and then all hell breaks loose.
I've been a Teenager since before you were born.

Greendrake

#20 Post by Greendrake »

This thread has inspired me to put my favourite excerpts together into a 18-min collection: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF3snQjUbVk

Gabby

#21 Post by Gabby »

Greendrake wrote: Mon 30 Nov 2020, 2:45 am This thread has inspired me to put my favourite excerpts together into a 18-min collection: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF3snQjUbVk
Interesting idea, and your picks totally align with what for me are the Greatest Hit Moments in PSB songs.

These condensed bits put a smile on my face ☺

tottenhammattspurs

#22 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

Greendrake wrote: Mon 30 Nov 2020, 2:45 am This thread has inspired me to put my favourite excerpts together into a 18-min collection: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF3snQjUbVk
Brilliant. It gives you an ear to ear grin throughout
is is and isnt isnt

Gabby

#24 Post by Gabby »

Andie wrote: Wed 11 Nov 2020, 9:03 am
y3potential wrote: Tue 10 Nov 2020, 1:56 pm Two parts of Always on my Mind. The initial sound effect right at the beginning (What is that..?) and then at the end of the instrumental break just before Neil comes back in with "little things I should have said and done" where it goes into a higher key. The zenith of the Imperial era right there ! And also the first Timpani drum roll that kickstarts Paninaro.
This!! 8) The drums at the start of Paninaro are very stirring, they get me every time.
Actually I have a question about that - I has Spotify on random recently and heard that distinctive intro for Paninaro, but it was juxtaposed with some other instrumental - my initial thought was "Oh, a remix I've not heard before", but that just didn't compute because I'd like to think I'm pretty "up" on those. So on further inspection of my phone I discovered it was actually a track from the Avengers: Infinity War soundtrack by Alan Silvestri. I keep meaning to look up the name of the track again, because it totally had me fooled as being Paninaro, but I wasn't sure if the Boys themselves had pulled that from something else as well...I'll look it up and report back!

Gabby

#25 Post by Gabby »

Gabby wrote: Mon 08 Feb 2021, 9:28 pm
This!! 8) The drums at the start of Paninaro are very stirring, they get me every time.
Actually I have a question about that - I has Spotify on random recently and heard that distinctive intro for Paninaro, but it was juxtaposed with some other instrumental - my initial thought was "Oh, a remix I've not heard before", but that just didn't compute because I'd like to think I'm pretty "up" on those. So on further inspection of my phone I discovered it was actually a track from the Avengers: Infinity War soundtrack by Alan Silvestri. I keep meaning to look up the name of the track again, because it totally had me fooled as being Paninaro, but I wasn't sure if the Boys themselves had pulled that from something else as well...I'll look it up and report back!
OK, so maybe I'm going crazy - it's maybe the "Endgame" soundtrack, but I can't find it on a quick skim through. Ears are deceiving me...

Gabby

#26 Post by Gabby »

Oops! Double post!

Andie

#27 Post by Andie »

Gabby wrote: Mon 08 Feb 2021, 9:55 pm
Gabby wrote: Mon 08 Feb 2021, 9:28 pm

OK, so maybe I'm going crazy - it's maybe the "Endgame" soundtrack, but I can't find it on a quick skim through. Ears are deceiving me...
The drums I'm referring to are the ones in the 1989 tour, live at Wembley video on YouTube. They're the best ones for me. 8)
Don’t be scared, for only the dark can show you the stars

Drico One

#28 Post by Drico One »

The fabled PSB "moment of ecstasy" is what sets them apart. The wonderful thing is that the aforementioned moment is as likely to appear on even some of their more understated songs, on a b-side or album track, as it is a chart-busting hit single.

One of my favourite moments on the current album is on I don't wanna, where a crystalline synth flourish acts as a pointed exclamation mark after the words "suddently" and "reluctantly". It's little touches like this that adorn so much of their work.

Drico.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

markrobertnolan

#29 Post by markrobertnolan »

Axis. At 3minutes 56 seconds. "the" E moment. Sublime.

PSBForTheMasses

#30 Post by PSBForTheMasses »

Decide at 2.29

That's one of the reasons what puts the Boys apart from all other peer bands, DM included, for me.
Last edited by PSBForTheMasses on Sat 20 Feb 2021, 7:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.