Your favourite Second

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
tottenhammattspurs

Your favourite Second

#1 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

We’ve had Top Ten tracks, opening lines, lyric, artwork etc but what are among your favourite single seconds of PSB output? For me it’s that first base sound and kick drum at 56 seconds in on Left To My Own Devices. Fist time hearing it and after nearly one minute of an orchestral intro you wonder where the song is going and then BOOM!

A close second is that uplifting moment on 2mins 44secs on The Survivors just as the key changes into the middle 8.

Honourable mention to Hit Music at 2mins 27 when that little “flick” sound comes in.
is is and isnt isnt

leesmapman

Re: Your favourite Second

#2 Post by leesmapman »

tottenhammattspurs wrote: Mon 09 Nov 2020, 11:55 am Honourable mention to Hit Music at 2mins 27 when that little “flick” sound comes in.
Isn't there a goat in it somewhere too? (at 3:06)

On topic: when Neil starts to sing the 2nd verse in Hallo Spaceboy.

domino

#3 Post by domino »

leesmapman wrote: Mon 09 Nov 2020, 12:57 pm
tottenhammattspurs wrote: Mon 09 Nov 2020, 11:55 am Honourable mention to Hit Music at 2mins 27 when that little “flick” sound comes in.
Isn't there a goat in it somewhere too? (at 3:06)
Shit, I've never noticed this. :lol:
On Spotify it's at 3:11

----

My favourite is the house piano in Was it worth it? 12" at 0:26

Honorable mentions: Lies at 1:03, I'm with stupid at 0:07
A blues would be in B flat, pain defining wisdom,
but the soul is in the high hat, programmed in the system.

Old Soak

#5 Post by Old Soak »

I could easily have any of these, shortest EP ever!

1. Decadence: "Stop this caprice"
2. Opening second of Sexy Northerner
3. After the Event: "Mothers all arrive"
4. The first bit of drum and bass in Betrayed around 26-27 seconds in

All perfect.
And at the end/ Your funny Uncle staring / At all your friends / With military bearing

glennjridge

#6 Post by glennjridge »

the outtro in "liberation" right before the end when Neil sings.... "all the way back home at midnight....all the way back home at midnight"

the middle eight to Drunk when neil sings "if you dont...even try...you'll be sunk". I LOVE the chord change right on the word try.
and social media...where right after that break the macho male voices chant saying "when you're on... social media" without Neil

the opening synth chords to "the dictator decides" they are so huge.

the part in willo the wisp in the second verse where the drums drop out and neil sings maybe you've gone respectable. it sounds so cool without the drums yet the music is pulsating!

luna park at the end where neil sings to blow us all the way and there is a wind sound effect underneath it. magical

OakeyDokey

#7 Post by OakeyDokey »

The change towards the outro (repeated but initially at 03:37) of I Want To Wake Up...a wistful punch to the solar plexus.

y3potential

#8 Post by y3potential »

Two parts of Always on my Mind. The initial sound effect right at the beginning (What is that..?) and then at the end of the instrumental break just before Neil comes back in with "little things I should have said and done" where it goes into a higher key. The zenith of the Imperial era right there ! And also the first Timpani drum roll that kickstarts Paninaro.
Last edited by y3potential on Tue 10 Nov 2020, 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is beauty in ugliness and ugliness in beauty.

NikacP0kac

#9 Post by NikacP0kac »

Have a look at my taste in music:
http://www.last.fm/user/NikacPokac

That’s the thing about negative energy, about hatred. It can be positive. It throws into relief all the things you know you like. It tells you, by elimination, what you’re about. Sometimes you can only define yourself by what you hate. Hatred becomes an inspiration; it makes you think, “What I’m doing now I totally believe in, and I don’t care what other people say.” Guided by hatred, you don’t have to follow the herd. - Neil Tennant

Tom Angel

#10 Post by Tom Angel »

Easy - at 3 min 40 of A man could get arrested . I think I can credit this single moment as to when I fell for PSB. I've always thought how great this would sound live

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7whlKPD6ws
in suits or sequins/or twin sets and pearls

Ally

#11 Post by Ally »

Miracles - around 1.19 ..bluer in : You always bring a bluer sky..
..because it is like..miracle..

Good topic 😉
The little things - there is nothing bigger..

james23_uk

#12 Post by james23_uk »

Delusions Of Grandeur: "In audience I receive the media's pleas. They kiss my ring in interviews on bended knees"

Invisible: the arpeggio

West End Girls: The playout on the Performance version.

How Can You expect To Be Taken Seriously: The playout on the Performance version.

So Hard: The intro on the Eclipse mix.

This Must Be The Place I Waited Years To Leave: The intro on the extended mixes.
at rock bottom :wall:

verbow79

#13 Post by verbow79 »

Many of the intros from Very- urgency conveyed by Different Point of View intro and then the instrumental part during last 30 seconds/I wouldn't normally do this kind of thing intro sounds like opening theme for a game show/Hey Headmaster funky intro too.

Intro to Truckdiver and his mate when Neil’s backing vocals first appear

I know many people weren’t a fan of Winner, but the middle 8 part part where Neil sings in the desperation, you find inspiration. Sounded almost like a different song apart from the rest of the mediocre song.

stormynight

#14 Post by stormynight »

Axis, when the beat starts after the intro AND when the bells come in in the second part of the song.
Did you ever walk on a stormy night...

Andie

#15 Post by Andie »

y3potential wrote: Tue 10 Nov 2020, 1:56 pm Two parts of Always on my Mind. The initial sound effect right at the beginning (What is that..?) and then at the end of the instrumental break just before Neil comes back in with "little things I should have said and done" where it goes into a higher key. The zenith of the Imperial era right there ! And also the first Timpani drum roll that kickstarts Paninaro.
This!! 8) The drums at the start of Paninaro are very stirring, they get me every time.
Don’t be scared, for only the dark can show you the stars