PSB at the BBC

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Kris

Re: PSB at the BBC

#61 Post by Kris »

Is it just me or have Neil's vocals been polished in some of the live performances? In the Can you forgive her? TOTP performance his live vocal genuinely sounds like it has been replaced by that in the song itself. Same with the live performance of Opportunities in the Whistle Test.
Passion, love, sex, money, violence, religion, injustice and death. More on that story later.

Patrick Bateman

#63 Post by Patrick Bateman »

Lisa Snowdon was fit. Still weird for me seeing them during this period - the post-Very years when synthpop was out of fashion and they weren't wearing hats and silly costumes - but then they were again, only this time they were even sillier - before the final and most bizarre costume of all: Neil with a guitar, Chris without shades and they've acquired a band, rather than dancers. A strange few years.

leesmapman

#64 Post by leesmapman »

Patrick Bateman wrote: Fri 27 Nov 2020, 8:23 pm the final and most bizarre costume of all: Neil with a guitar, Chris without shades
:lol: True though. Still, I have fond memories of this period.

y3potential

#65 Post by y3potential »

I was hoping for the performance of Philadelphia and also the appearance on the Jools Holland programme. Perhaps they are in the next batch..
There is beauty in ugliness and ugliness in beauty.

leesmapman

#66 Post by leesmapman »

It's also fun to see Jody Linscott doing the percussion during the Release performances. I recognized her from the Mike Oldfield Tubular Bells 3 gig and later tours.

Greendrake

#67 Post by Greendrake »

Kris wrote: Sun 15 Nov 2020, 3:33 pm Is it just me or have Neil's vocals been polished in some of the live performances? In the Can you forgive her? TOTP performance his live vocal genuinely sounds like it has been replaced by that in the song itself.
I just compared the YT version with Ultimate DVD and earlier TV rips and could not find any audio difference (apart from quality).
TOTP performances are sung over pre-recorded vocals, aren't they? Moreover, those are the vocals from the released records (as opposed to sung specifically for the show), although the records are often edited to be shorter.

Sage

#68 Post by Sage »

Greendrake wrote: Sat 28 Nov 2020, 2:04 am
Kris wrote: Sun 15 Nov 2020, 3:33 pm Is it just me or have Neil's vocals been polished in some of the live performances? In the Can you forgive her? TOTP performance his live vocal genuinely sounds like it has been replaced by that in the song itself.
I just compared the YT version with Ultimate DVD and earlier TV rips and could not find any audio difference (apart from quality).
TOTP performances are sung over pre-recorded vocals, aren't they? Moreover, those are the vocals from the released records (as opposed to sung specifically for the show), although the records are often edited to be shorter.
I think Kris is being sarcastic, at least I hope so.
The vocals and indeed the entire songs are just the studio release overdubbed. It must be obvious.
I've put my life into live lip sync. I'm an artist, honey. You gonna get me a drink?

Sometimes they add sound from the audience to make it seem a bit more realistic, but it's totally lip synced.
How about when they did the Bobby O' version of West End girls and Neil mimed the James Brown samples. :lol: :lol:
I suppose it was standard for TV performances until the noughties, not just for PSB.
To me it can be really astonishing when the audio of the performance is real, such as https://youtu.be/W7SZ8naFjDQ?t=69
Otherwise honestly these videos are barely worth watching. I think they're only good for people who aren't familiar with the music.
But it is nice to see Neil & Chris and their outfits.
How's this for real vocals: https://youtu.be/DDKciZRqhl8?t=13 :P

Paul

#69 Post by Paul »

In the early 90's Top of the pops changed and most vocals were live. Can you forgive her ? and Liberation both had live vocals. Check Neil, he is wearing IEM's (in ear monitors) in both these performances.

tottenhammattspurs

#70 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

Watching the Release era through the prism of 18 years and it was a really unusual period for PSB. A commercial low point, almost “Britpop” six years too late. The melodies and genius were still apparent but it remains the least PSB looking and sounding period.
is is and isnt isnt

spooky

#71 Post by spooky »

tottenhammattspurs wrote: Sun 29 Nov 2020, 11:31 am Watching the Release era through the prism of 18 years and it was a really unusual period for PSB. A commercial low point, almost “Britpop” six years too late. The melodies and genius were still apparent but it remains the least PSB looking and sounding period.
i always considered Release the "guitar" album, and it was refreshing(for me) at the time. that tour was actually the last time i saw the PSBs.

Sage

#72 Post by Sage »

New lot added. (From 17/04/2002)
Lovely real live audio, worth a watch.
Playlist is: West End Girls, I Get Along, New York City Boy, Love Comes Quickly, Go West.
I'd never seen these before.
https://petshopboys.lnk.to/AtTheBBCVol5We

leesmapman

#73 Post by leesmapman »

Finally, I've been looking for these for ages! I still think this is the most interesting live period for them.
Still, a shame the videos are 360p.

Greendrake

#74 Post by Greendrake »

Interestingly, the are two TOTP2 I get along plays:
From 17 April 2002
From 26 July 2002
But they are in fact the same one, aren't they? Just slightly different cuts. The July one features Pete Gleadall :D

glennjridge

#75 Post by glennjridge »

Thats always been my favorite version of "West end girls". its so smooth and has a nice late night chill vibe