PSB at the BBC

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
herts101

Re: PSB at the BBC

#16 Post by herts101 »

y3potential wrote:
tottenhammattspurs wrote: Sat 17 Oct 2020, 9:16 am
james23_uk wrote: Sat 17 Oct 2020, 1:22 am What was wrong with Mike Smith?
He didn’t sign the TOTP rerun agreement and shortly died after. So the BBC have honoured his wish and have not repeated any episode that was presented by him.

It’s a shame because to the casual listener, it lumps him in with the Saville and DLT episodes.

I can only assume these BBC performances are from PSB own personal archive as I can't see how they would be allowed to show the Mike Smith appearances if these were licenced directly from the BBC. It may also explain why they aren't in HD.
BBC show Smith on some of the “Story of” shows, so it’s not a blanket ban, and from what I have read not a legal issue either, just “honouring his wishes” as you say.

Irritating for fans of the show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

leesmapman

#17 Post by leesmapman »

Good to see a good recording of Later Tonight. I am looking forward to the Release performances, which were with a live band.

Patrick Bateman

#18 Post by Patrick Bateman »

Steve Wright has such a punchable face. Of course these days it'd be harder to miss it.

psbfannyc

#19 Post by psbfannyc »

Patrick Bateman wrote: Sat 17 Oct 2020, 8:32 pm Steve Wright has such a punchable face. Of course these days it'd be harder to miss it.
Yeah! What a character he was. And today...what a lard ass.

Disco.

#20 Post by Disco. »

😁

TallThinMan

#21 Post by TallThinMan »

jasonjohn wrote: Sat 17 Oct 2020, 3:10 am When did Chris stop gyrating at the keyboard?

I'm thinking he only did it during Please
That’s an interesting question isn’t it. Was he doing it under duress because Tom Watkins and the record company etc. didn’t want them to appear so static? I’m not sure about that because he looks like he’s quite enjoying himself. There weren’t any gyrations for the West End Girls TOTP appearances.

billjermaine

#22 Post by billjermaine »

Wish they'd taken the opportunity to amp up the audio in some of these. Love Comes Quickly is so muted.

Love the costume swap in the 86 West End Girls - Chris in Neil drag, Neil in Chris drag.

Patrick Bateman

#23 Post by Patrick Bateman »

The playlist has been updated! Neil in his bowler hat on Wogan. :clap: Mike Smith on, erm, Wogan. :shock:

RichBeard

#24 Post by RichBeard »

There’s some great shots from the Wogan performance of It’s a sin.. love the 3 camera shot of Neil singing the ‘father forgive me..’ bit.. very dramatic.. classic stuff! 8)

Also, Neil’s long rain coat for TOTP It’s a sin performance is very kl.. great to also see classic 80’s TOTP as well..

canveyboy

#25 Post by canveyboy »

If this is 1987 to 1988 then there’s loads missing from 1988. Where’s What have I done to deserve this? from Brit Awards 1988, Domino Dancing on Wogan and TOTP, Left to my own devices on TOTP plus the Xmas 1988 performances of Always on my mind and Heart! 🤔😥
Its taken me all of my life to find you

leesmapman

#26 Post by leesmapman »

I was hoping to see the Always on my mind Love Me Tender version on the list. Hadn't seen the Wogan performances, nice!

Sent from my SM-J410F using Tapatalk

Patrick Bateman

#27 Post by Patrick Bateman »

leesmapman wrote: Sat 31 Oct 2020, 8:53 am I was hoping to see the Always on my mind Love Me Tender version on the list. Hadn't seen the Wogan performances, nice!
That was on ITV.

Dog

#28 Post by Dog »

canveyboy wrote:If this is 1987 to 1988 then there’s loads missing from 1988. Where’s What have I done to deserve this? from Brit Awards 1988, Domino Dancing on Wogan and TOTP, Left to my own devices on TOTP plus the Xmas 1988 performances of Always on my mind and Heart! ImageImage
Are you sure the Brit Awards was on the BBC? Presumably they are doing this album by album and simply stopped at Heart. Won’t those others just be in the next batch?
Woof.

y3potential

#29 Post by y3potential »

canveyboy wrote: Sat 31 Oct 2020, 1:31 am If this is 1987 to 1988 then there’s loads missing from 1988. Where’s What have I done to deserve this? from Brit Awards 1988, Domino Dancing on Wogan and TOTP, Left to my own devices on TOTP plus the Xmas 1988 performances of Always on my mind and Heart! 🤔😥
I'm fairly confident they will be in the next batch, probably along with Losing My Mind with Liza on Wogan, Getting Away With It and then possibly upto So Hard/Being Boring..
There is beauty in ugliness and ugliness in beauty.

OakeyDokey

#30 Post by OakeyDokey »

I don't think the Beeb ever had rights to coverage of the Brits, was always ITV?