PSB at the BBC

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
herts101

Re: PSB at the BBC

#16 Post by herts101 »

y3potential wrote:
tottenhammattspurs wrote: Sat 17 Oct 2020, 9:16 am
james23_uk wrote: Sat 17 Oct 2020, 1:22 am What was wrong with Mike Smith?
He didn’t sign the TOTP rerun agreement and shortly died after. So the BBC have honoured his wish and have not repeated any episode that was presented by him.

It’s a shame because to the casual listener, it lumps him in with the Saville and DLT episodes.

I can only assume these BBC performances are from PSB own personal archive as I can't see how they would be allowed to show the Mike Smith appearances if these were licenced directly from the BBC. It may also explain why they aren't in HD.
BBC show Smith on some of the “Story of” shows, so it’s not a blanket ban, and from what I have read not a legal issue either, just “honouring his wishes” as you say.

Irritating for fans of the show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

leesmapman

#17 Post by leesmapman »

Good to see a good recording of Later Tonight. I am looking forward to the Release performances, which were with a live band.

Patrick Bateman

#18 Post by Patrick Bateman »

Steve Wright has such a punchable face. Of course these days it'd be harder to miss it.

psbfannyc

#19 Post by psbfannyc »

Patrick Bateman wrote: Sat 17 Oct 2020, 8:32 pm Steve Wright has such a punchable face. Of course these days it'd be harder to miss it.
Yeah! What a character he was. And today...what a lard ass.

Disco.

#20 Post by Disco. »

😁

TallThinMan

#21 Post by TallThinMan »

jasonjohn wrote: Sat 17 Oct 2020, 3:10 am When did Chris stop gyrating at the keyboard?

I'm thinking he only did it during Please
That’s an interesting question isn’t it. Was he doing it under duress because Tom Watkins and the record company etc. didn’t want them to appear so static? I’m not sure about that because he looks like he’s quite enjoying himself. There weren’t any gyrations for the West End Girls TOTP appearances.

billjermaine

#22 Post by billjermaine »

Wish they'd taken the opportunity to amp up the audio in some of these. Love Comes Quickly is so muted.

Love the costume swap in the 86 West End Girls - Chris in Neil drag, Neil in Chris drag.