Unity Tour Virtual Concert

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
joeythecat

Unity Tour Virtual Concert

#1 Post by joeythecat »

I've seen Pet Shop Boys play live 3 times but I've never actually seen New Order play live, I was really looking forward to seeing New Order and Pet Shop Boys play together in San Francisco, to memorialize the event that never happened, I produced a 2 hour special for my late night radio show AfterHours at KSQD, Santa Cruz.
For the next two weeks you can hear the show archived just dim the lights and pretend you are there: It is basically a live best of with a few surprises. 1 hour of New Order and Pet Shop Boys live in the order as they were set to play that night.
so here's how you find it in the archive until October 15th:
go to:
https://ksqd.org/two-week-archive/

then under the day:
Thu October 1 2020 select the first show listed: 12:00AM Afterhours.

astrocordoba

Re: Unity Tour Virtual Concert

#2 Post by astrocordoba »

Please, can you give me the sources of the New Order tracks? I would like to purchase the albums...

Sage

#3 Post by Sage »

Hmmm nice contribution in a way.
I typically skip through longer plays like this but the site doesn't seem to have a skip function.
I'd be careful with calling this a virtual concert. If someone says "hey X band are performing a virtual concert" it normally means an original live stream with video, not someone unofficially re-posting a previously released audio recording of a concert.
When you say you produced it, does that mean you recorded this at the concerts, mixed and mastered the tracks? No it probably just means you took the wav files and are essentially doing what pirates do.
I don't really care either way though.

I saw New Order earlier this year. They're really great live, actually better than the albums if you can believe.
They've improved too. I saw them 4 years ago or so and Barney's stage presence has improved. They're getting more loose with song selection too. It's great for fans.

I think the Unity tour will be unlike other previous tours for both bands though.
PSB will likely be basing it on their Dreamworld/Greatest Hits tour, which is memory serves me right will include revived singles such as Hallo Spaceboy and Where The Streets Have No Name.
New Order will no doubt be doing their new single Be A Rebel.
I just hope they do some sort of duet or collaboration, though I don't expect it to happen.

As for this thread. Both bands already have officially approved live albums. New Order have plenty. PSB have just Inner Sanctum from the other year then some older ones and some radio plays. I haven't listened to this 2 hour Unity Tour tribute so I can't judge it fully but I don't really see the appeal over just listening to the real live albums.
No one knows the setlist of the Unity tour, and to me the only thing exciting about it will be the new aspects. So this fake 2 hour pirate podcast thing is essentially pointless in my view.

joeythecat

#4 Post by joeythecat »

It is a "virtual" concert, because it is not a real concert it is compiled from a variety of sources, there is even some studio versions mixed in. It is produced insofar as it was compiled and mixed as part of my weekly show, done as a tribute and as a memorial of the missed occasion. It serves no other purpose than to scratch the itch of a New Order/PSB fix until we can get the real thing, but listening to music in general serves no actual purpose beyond hopefully hearing something enjoyable to listen to, and maybe turning you onto something you have not heard before. And besides, there are worse things than listening to New Order and Pet Shop Boys. The recordings are from official sources. New Order was a bit easier to do because they have so many live albums.
The fast forward/rewind function is disabled because of streaming rules.
New Order sources include: Live at Bestival 2012, Be a Rebel(single), In Concert 1987, NOMC15, ∑(No,12k,Lg,17Mif) New Order + Liam Gillick: So It Goes.., Reading Festival 30 August 1998 (found on Crystal (Japan) the whole concert is available on the DVD 3 16.

Thank you for the feedback.