Single versions

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Nickname

Re: Single versions

#31 Post by Nickname »

stussyboy wrote: Sat 26 Sep 2020, 9:24 am Integral was so obvious as the lead single from Fundamental, with a video featuring Neil as a hectoring dictator giving a speech at a rally. Would have nicely set up the political theme of the album too
Everybody though Integral was the best track from the album and I think it had been a successful song (If I'm With Stupid got #8, Integral could make it better with a proper video like you say). A lost opportunty, the main songs from that album were TSAGS and Integral and there were not single material (I'm talking about the album version of the Integral, obviously).

By the way, I could listen somewhere the edited single version of TSAGS and I had to say it was really good. But at the end, it was banned and you know why.

Tom Angel

#32 Post by Tom Angel »

Such a shame that DJ Culturemix isn't on iTunes.
in suits or sequins/or twin sets and pearls

Greendrake

#33 Post by Greendrake »

Tom Angel wrote: Sun 27 Sep 2020, 5:46 pm Such a shame that DJ Culturemix isn't on iTunes.
As someone who prefers to own the original medium, make and manage his own digital copies for listening — I actually like the fact that iTunes etc. do not have certain out-of-mainstream tracks. It duly emphasises the secondary nature and inferiority of those services, their purpose being that of serving just what the masses want — as opposed to being an ultimate catalogue of music.

retrofuturist

#34 Post by retrofuturist »

Well said Greendrake.

Tom Angel

#35 Post by Tom Angel »

Well i do own the 12" and cd single, (as he smooths down his ruffled collector feathers) but it'd be nice to have it in the pubic domain, mainly because it's the best mix!
in suits or sequins/or twin sets and pearls

NikacP0kac

#36 Post by NikacP0kac »

Tom Angel wrote: Tue 29 Sep 2020, 11:21 am Well i do own the 12" and cd single, (as he smooths down his ruffled collector feathers) but it'd be nice to have it in the pubic domain, mainly because it's the best mix!
You must really love it if you want to keep it down there. :mrgreen:

For me the best single versions are It's Alright and Seriously, immense improvements over the album versions.
Have a look at my taste in music:
http://www.last.fm/user/NikacPokac

That’s the thing about negative energy, about hatred. It can be positive. It throws into relief all the things you know you like. It tells you, by elimination, what you’re about. Sometimes you can only define yourself by what you hate. Hatred becomes an inspiration; it makes you think, “What I’m doing now I totally believe in, and I don’t care what other people say.” Guided by hatred, you don’t have to follow the herd. - Neil Tennant

Patrick Bateman

#37 Post by Patrick Bateman »

retrofuturist wrote: Mon 14 Sep 2020, 7:01 amMy view, generally, is that in the 80's and 90's every edit was either better or necessary (in the event that the original was too long).

From Release onwards that pattern falls apart, and as many are worse as they are better.
As they have previously said, the environment changed so that four/five-minute singles were no longer being played on radio. This was of course compounded by their own popularity diminishing - even a three-minute PSB single is not going to get much airplay in 2020. Therefore, the often butchered single mixes that have been released this millennium can more accurately be described as radio edits with the sole intention of getting them played between celeb gossip and I Gotta (sic) Feeling - hell, they've even started Americanising their song titles too.