Single versions

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Blaahh

Re: Single versions

#16 Post by Blaahh »

Agreed, Integral single is the complete definition of snatching defeat from the jaws of total and utter slam dunk victory.

Oznerol

#17 Post by Oznerol »

Dog wrote: Tue 15 Sep 2020, 8:52 am
Greendrake wrote:
TallThinMan wrote: Tue 15 Sep 2020, 7:53 am What always blows my mind is that the single version of Heart came first. The album version is “actually” the reworked one.
????
Actually released 7 Sep 1987
Heart released 17 Mar 1988
TTM is right. They recorded the single version first, and then remixed it for the album.
Wow!..that´s really hard to believe!! The single version has more elements (laser-beams, doubled sampled voice effects, the fabulous guitar) than the album version! Also just realised recently that the speed is different between both versions..a real surprise that I never noticed before...
Maybe they "downgraded" the single version on purpose, to improve the impact when it were released as a single, compared with the ''previously released" album version??
This is not my signature.

fac23

#18 Post by fac23 »

Oznerol wrote: Sat 19 Sep 2020, 12:05 am Maybe they "downgraded" the single version on purpose, to improve the impact when it were released as a single, compared with the ''previously released" album version??
Downgraded? OMG, we've been scammed into listening to a purposefully shitty version!111!!! I'll timetravel to 1988 and demand my money back! Seriously though, I think the album version fits better into the flow between IWTWU and King's Cross. You might of course still be right, regarding impact. Anyway, together with Suburbia, Heart is the most effective single remix to me.

The much hated Integral remix is actually quite interesting, I think. It's unfortunate how they flattened a few too many catchy bits while leaving the cliched choir in. But the album version (just like S&G) was an overproduced mess and needed to be toned down a notch. They simply took it too far. Points for trying.

Greendrake

#19 Post by Greendrake »

From the Reissues sleeve notes:
Neil wrote: We then asked Andy Richards, who worked with Julian Mendelsohn, if he wanted to do a song with us. I only wrote the third verse when we did it with him and I think I changed the lyrics a bit as well. The first version we did with him, with the syn drum on it, ended up being the seven-inch single the following year, in 1988, and has J.J. Belle playing guitar on it, but for some reason we went off that and so then we asked Julian Mendolsohn to mix the song for the album.
He took out the guitar because he said it was too complicated, and he actually accidentally wiped a bit off the track – that’s why it comes in going ‘beat…beat…heartbeat’. He was slightly embarrassed about it.
I think the input of PSB themselves into final versions of their album tracks has been overestimated. They would often ask various musicians to mix/finalise them and sometimes even skip quality assurance. Otherwise how the hell could they allow "wiped a bit off the track" on the album?
Oznerol wrote: Sat 19 Sep 2020, 12:05 am Maybe they "downgraded" the single version on purpose, to improve the impact when it were released as a single, compared with the ''previously released" album version??
So it looks like they actually tried to upgrade it with Julian Mendolsohn, but when the time came to release it as a single they finally listened to it, said "WTF?" and just released the original mix :mrgreen:

Dog

#20 Post by Dog »

I’d like to have seen the album version of Integral as Fundamental‘a first single - a massive overblown statement in the manner of It’s a sin.

I was always surprised by the style of the single mix of How can you expect to be taken seriously? It was clear they were struggling to choose a single following the chart performance of Being boring. Seriously always stood out on Behaviour - along with So hard it was one of the only tracks that broke with the album’s overall feel, and to my ears already sounded like single material. The Brothers In Rhythm remix took away the swing beat feel and the electric guitar hook and actually made it sound more like the rest of Behaviour. Not that I don’t like it but it seemed counter intuitive.
Woof.

scousepsbfan

#21 Post by scousepsbfan »

Best single versions: Suburbia, It's alright, Memory of the future.
Worst single versions: Yesterday when I was mad (love this mix but the album version is far superior), Single-Bilingual (the start always sounds very sloppily sliced from the album to me) and, of course, Integral. I remember after Minimal came out me and my mate were excited because Integral sounded like a logical next single in it's album mix. So disappointed when Numb came out and then the diabolical mix of Integral taking out all the good bits and making it sound like Metal Mickey on downers.
Fight for love or love to fight......

stevebr20012

#22 Post by stevebr20012 »

Suburbia and It's alright were completely re-recorded for their singles, the others mentioned in the thread were just remixes I think.

Propertius

#23 Post by Propertius »

I’ll break with just about everyone else and rather than nominate a remixed single, I’ll suggest the 7” edit of “Before” as better than the album version, and I think the Boys made the right call with the “Minimal” edit as a single, even tho I prefer the album version personally. What makes these edits so good is they let the songs get right down to business. The slightly extended percussive intro to “Before” on the album kills the song’s momentum for me.

Greendrake

#24 Post by Greendrake »

Propertius wrote: Fri 25 Sep 2020, 8:50 am The slightly extended percussive intro to “Before” on the album kills the song’s momentum for me.
Absolutely love the album intro. Wish there was an extended version of it. The butchered intro on the single version sounds sooo insufficient 8) .

Propertius

#25 Post by Propertius »

Regarding “Heart” and how attentive the Boys are to their albums, I think they’ve said they liked the lucky accident of the “abrupt,” partially erased intro to the album version of “Heart.” They obviously had conflicted feelings about the song as a whole, though, as it underwent a radical reworking from the Shep-produced version to the Andy Richards one to the album remix and eventual release of the Richards version as a single—which then went to #1. They were right to put a lot of thought into it.

The other alternate versions on the Actually Further Listening, the 7” One More Chance and “Breakdown” version of I Want to Wake Up suggest to me the Boys actually gave considerable attention to the selection of just the right mixes for the album. And of course other things, like It’s a Sin, got some further mixing as well.

Dog

#26 Post by Dog »

Propertius wrote:Regarding “Heart” and how attentive the Boys are to their albums, I think they’ve said they liked the lucky accident of the “abrupt,” partially erased intro to the album version of “Heart.” They obviously had conflicted feelings about the song as a whole, though, as it underwent a radical reworking from the Shep-produced version to the Andy Richards one to the album remix and eventual release of the Richards version as a single—which then went to #1. They were right to put a lot of thought into it.

The other alternate versions on the Actually Further Listening, the 7” One More Chance and “Breakdown” version of I Want to Wake Up suggest to me the Boys actually gave considerable attention to the selection of just the right mixes for the album. And of course other things, like It’s a Sin, got some further mixing as well.
Interesting that Heart was originally planned as the first single from Actually. I wonder what version that would have been.
Woof.

Nickname

#27 Post by Nickname »

Which one is better in MHO? (included edited versions):

- West End Girls: album version
- Suburbia: single video version
- Always on my mind: single version
- Heart; single version
- Domino Dancing: single version
- Left to my own devices: album version
- It's alright: single version
- Being Boring: single version
- How can you expect to be taken seriously??: single video version
- I wouldn't normally do this kind of thing: single version
- Yesterday, when I was mad: single version
- A red letter day: single version
- New York city boy: single/album version work fine (not the U.S. version)
- Integral: album version
- All Over The World/IDOSAC: singles version
- Vocal: single version
- Thursday: single version
- Twenty Something: single version
- BTH: single version
- Monkey Business: album version

I don't have opinion about a single like Rent (album or single version).

Tentenlad

#28 Post by Tentenlad »

Regarding 'How can you expect...?' single version.
Wasn't there a review (in the NME I think) where they slated that particular track (album version) as it sounded very out-dated (in a 1989 Bobby Brown swing beat way)
That and the apparent chart failure of Being Boring spurred them on to re record and add 'Where the streets...' as next single

That plan did seem to revive their fortunes slightly though...

Gabby

#29 Post by Gabby »

Propertius wrote: Fri 25 Sep 2020, 8:58 am Regarding “Heart” and how attentive the Boys are to their albums, I think they’ve said they liked the lucky accident of the “abrupt,” partially erased intro to the album version of “Heart.” They obviously had conflicted feelings about the song as a whole, though, as it underwent a radical reworking from the Shep-produced version to the Andy Richards one to the album remix and eventual release of the Richards version as a single—which then went to #1. They were right to put a lot of thought into it.

When I first heard the Shep Pettibone remix of Heart (and didn't realise it was) I thought it was some crappy fan-made remix. It just sounded so weird compared to the available album and single (7 and 12 inch) mixes. I actually quite like it now for it's quirkiness, but can see why it got passed over for the initial set of releases until Further Listening.

stussyboy

#30 Post by stussyboy »

Integral was so obvious as the lead single from Fundamental, with a video featuring Neil as a hectoring dictator giving a speech at a rally. Would have nicely set up the political theme of the album too
NewYork London Tokyo LosAngeles