If you've done nothing wrong.....

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.

Gabby

Re: If you've done nothing wrong.....

#2 Post by Gabby »

That's where it went a bit wrong for Neil's feelings towards the Labour party.

However well intentioned, I think any form of electronic ID or tagging is a bad idea. You open yourself up to anyone who has the knowhow to misuse that information.

Everything can be hacked if it's man-made.

Kobalt Blew

#3 Post by Kobalt Blew »

Is that some new kind of discreet 'electronic tagging' he's got in his ears due to the slight fib about WMD's?

Screen Shot 2020-09-03 at 23.37.19.png
Screen Shot 2020-09-03 at 23.37.19.png (148.63 KiB) Viewed 747 times
previously Parlophoney.

retrofuturist

#4 Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Neil was ahead of the curve warning so elegantly and menacingly about the risk of the political class weaponizing technology against its enemies.

It's a shame he's walked away from that perspective in the meantime in favour of Guardian pastiche. Now that it's back in the news, I wonder what he'd make of it.

Retro. :)

Greendrake

#5 Post by Greendrake »

Gabby wrote:
Thu 03 Sep 2020, 11:20 pm
However well intentioned, I think any form of electronic ID or tagging is a bad idea. You open yourself up to anyone who has the knowhow to misuse that information.

Electronic IDs/tagging has been with us already for quite a while, although not explicitly acknowledged: bank/discount cards, mobile phones reporting your location even when turned off, face/voice/gait recognition etc. Come on guys — everyone who would be misusing your information has been happily doing it already. Just face the reality of the modern world: it's no longer possible to hide. Privacy is virtually not a thing anymore. Those "electronic IDs" change nothing apart from finally labeling things what they really are.

Gabby

#6 Post by Gabby »

Greendrake wrote:
Fri 04 Sep 2020, 4:09 am
Gabby wrote:
Thu 03 Sep 2020, 11:20 pm

Electronic IDs/tagging has been with us already for quite a while, although not explicitly acknowledged: bank/discount cards, mobile phones reporting your location even when turned off, face/voice/gait recognition etc. Come on guys — everyone who would be misusing your information has been happily doing it already. Just face the reality of the modern world: it's no longer possible to hide. Privacy is virtually not a thing anymore. Those "electronic IDs" change nothing apart from finally labeling things what they really are.
Oh I'm well aware of that. That's the price of progress I guess. That's why I had no qualms about downloading the COVID tracing app here in Canada. My cellphone information really isn't that exciting for any would-be snoopers, unless you like PSB, rambling emails from my dad and photos of the garden. Move along, nothing to see here...

raggatwin

#7 Post by raggatwin »

retrofuturist wrote:
Fri 04 Sep 2020, 2:43 am
Greetings,

Neil was ahead of the curve warning so elegantly and menacingly about the risk of the political class weaponizing technology against its enemies.

It's a shame he's walked away from that perspective in the meantime in favour of Guardian pastiche. Now that it's back in the news, I wonder what he'd make of it.

Not really, sociologists have been writing about 'the surveillance society' since the 70s...
Hello my name is Neil Tennant and I'm Chris Lowe and we're of the Pet Shop Boys.

retrofuturist

#8 Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
raggatwin wrote:
Fri 04 Sep 2020, 8:20 pm
Not really, sociologists have been writing about 'the surveillance society' since the 70s...
Agreed, but they've not been making killer pop records about it.

glennjridge

#9 Post by glennjridge »

I still think Integral and we're all criminals now are two great pieces of music and lyrics. I also loved Neils little side note with the we're all criminals now" track when it was released "yes...we're still on this". as in writing about the issues of ID via song a second time. lmao