CD with demos of "Actually"

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Greendrake

Re: CD with demos of "Actually"

#16 Post by Greendrake »

Oznerol wrote:
Wed 26 Aug 2020, 8:51 pm
If they were created by somebody who wants to create something hat "looks good" would have put more attention to this. But this inconsistencies are normal for somebody who just created them for internal use, with no commercial intentions...something just casual and functional than aesthetically oriented. Even maybe different persons.
"something just casual and functional" (which internal reference CDs indeed would be, unlike promos) would not need printing on the discs at all — it would be just generic CDRs with marker writing on them like this Bilingual internal reference. In any event, if they went as far as creating fields and checkboxes for the sleeve:
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg (26.5 KiB) Viewed 1328 times
— I don't see why they would not make the disc labels consistent too — if they bothered to make them at all.

But then, the seller claims the discs are from 2018. Even if similar discs were indeed created for internal reference in relation to the reissues (which itself is highly doubtful — in 2018 record industry people would just share files/playlists), then it would be no later than December 2017 when the upcoming Actually reissue tracklist had already been decided.

tottenhammattspurs

#17 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

Can’t help thinking that if he sold these for a tenner a pop we wouldn’t be worried about the legitimacy of them. We are tearing it apart because of the price, not because of the source.
is is and isnt isnt

Greendrake

#18 Post by Greendrake »

The seller has now removed mentioning of 2018 :mrgreen:.
Still in Google cache though.

StevePSB
Site Admin

#19 Post by StevePSB »

Greendrake wrote:
Thu 27 Aug 2020, 1:00 am

"something just casual and functional" (which internal reference CDs indeed would be, unlike promos) would not need printing on the discs at all — it would be just generic CDRs with marker writing on them like this Bilingual internal reference.
I've not been taking an awful lot of notice of this thread, but this post caught my attention. I have a Release (I think - if not it's Nightlife) Abbey Road CD (and can vouch for its authenticity) with exactly the same sleeve and design of inlay as that Bilingual one and the CD is printed, not a plain, pen marked CDR.

StevePSB

Greendrake

#20 Post by Greendrake »

StevePSB wrote:
Fri 28 Aug 2020, 11:32 am
I have a Release (I think - if not it's Nightlife) Abbey Road CD (and can vouch for its authenticity) with exactly the same sleeve and design of inlay as that Bilingual one and the CD is printed, not a plain, pen marked CDR.
Sure — I'm not saying that all internal reference CDs will be pen marked CDRs. The point was that if they are printed it will be done professionally, not like what the seller is selling.

StevePSB
Site Admin

#21 Post by StevePSB »

Ah, I see. I did allude to it, but I really ought to have read the thread in full!

StevePSB

gtertre

#22 Post by gtertre »

Greendrake wrote:
Fri 28 Aug 2020, 8:59 am
The seller has now removed mentioning of 2018 :mrgreen:.
Still in Google cache though.
Hi. I'm the seller of these items and I wanted to clarify that I used a Draft from a previous listing to make this one, that's why it used to say 2018 on the description. However, I did update the release year as UNKNOWN and you can still see it on the Google Cache, so I wanted to clarify that with a screenshot:

Thanks for pointing it out though, you're so kind 😊
Last edited by gtertre on Fri 28 Aug 2020, 8:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

james23_uk

#23 Post by james23_uk »

gtertre wrote:
Fri 28 Aug 2020, 8:13 pm

Hi. I'm the seller of these items and I wanted to clarify that I used a Draft from a previous listing to make this one, that's why it used to say 2018 on the description. However, I did update the release year as UNKNOWN and you can still see it on the Google Cache, so I wanted to clarify that with a screenshot:

😊
Thanks for confirming. Do you have any further information of the history of this item you can share here?
at rock bottom :wall:

gtertre

#24 Post by gtertre »

james23_uk wrote:
Fri 28 Aug 2020, 11:37 pm
Thanks for confirming. Do you have any further information of the history of this item you can share here?
I have no idea about the history behind these items, I only know these were intended to be destroyed as some other articles I have.

Greendrake

#25 Post by Greendrake »

gtertre wrote:
Sat 29 Aug 2020, 1:30 am
I have no idea about the history behind these items, I only know these were intended to be destroyed as some other articles I have.
So what was that? :wink:

Was that what it was? :lol:

Sage

#26 Post by Sage »

I'm curious if the seller will post here what happened.

I'm expecting PSB to release these 80's demos eventually, whether it's posthumously like a lot of artists or through a special release before it gets to that.

Den

#27 Post by Den »

It was never going to sell for that. I’d pay no more than £15 for the audio content.

trafaelwyr

#28 Post by trafaelwyr »

The auction ended and it doesn't look like there was a buyer and the discs haven't been relisted. So, unless the seller did some deal that didn't involve Ebay, I guess these went unsold.

Greendrake

#29 Post by Greendrake »

He possibly ended up selling the files digitally outside eBay. There was quite some interest according to the listing.