Was Please released on CD straightaway?

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Ramzy

Was Please released on CD straightaway?

#1 Post by Ramzy »

Nerd question time. Was Please released on CD at the same time as the LP and cassette, or did it come out solely on those formats at first? I'm asking cause I stumbled across these magazine adverts which clearly advertise it as a new "album and cassette" but make no mention of the CD. By the time of Disco, however, that album is advertised as "LP or cassette. Also on compact disc". So - when was the Please CD released?

(Another thing that makes me wonder is the fact the credits in the CD booklet seem to have been cut straight from the LP artwork - in the big block of text they still refer to "side A" and "side B"!)
I must disengage your recreational music.

karnsculpture

Re: Was Please released on CD straightaway?

#2 Post by karnsculpture »

It was common at the time for CDs to come out later, mainly because of a lack of pressing capacity as the format grew in popularity. I worked in a record shop at the time and the CD release schedule was different to LP and cassette. Note also that the rear of the UK LP sleeve just has the catalogue numbers for LP and cassette, not CD. I can't however be certain in the case of Please as I don't remember.

Ramzy

#3 Post by Ramzy »

karnsculpture wrote:
Sat 08 Aug 2020, 3:39 pm
Note also that the rear of the UK LP sleeve just has the catalogue numbers for LP and cassette, not CD.
You're right! I've owned this LP for 22 years and never noticed that...

Scottydog

#4 Post by Scottydog »

I’ve only ever owned Please on CD and I know I wouldn’t have waited long after the album release to get it. If it didn’t come out on CD at the same time as other formats it couldn’t have been long afterwards.
If I thought what you’d think I wouldn’t even be here.

Marie loves PSB

#5 Post by Marie loves PSB »

I first owned Please on cassette. I thought it was weird at the time as mine said side A and side B instead of side 1 and side 2. (The cassette sadly got chewed to bits in the end thanks to my Walkman). Please was bought after Actually was released as I really only got in to PSB's from when Actually came out. I didn't think I would like a Pet Shop Boys album - how wrong eh. :mrgreen: I am sure Cds were not out then or they could have been way too expensive to buy.

leesmapman

#6 Post by leesmapman »

Please was the first CD I ever bought. CDs were quite affordable back then. Maybe a bit more expensive than an LP, but not much. How times have changed. Vinyl records nowadays cost almost 50% more than a CD 🤦

Scottydog

#7 Post by Scottydog »

Marie loves PSB wrote:
Sun 09 Aug 2020, 12:27 pm
I first owned Please on cassette. I thought it was weird at the time as mine said side A and side B instead of side 1 and side 2. (The cassette sadly got chewed to bits in the end thanks to my Walkman). Please was bought after Actually was released as I really only got in to PSB's from when Actually came out. I didn't think I would like a Pet Shop Boys album - how wrong eh. :mrgreen: I am sure Cds were not out then or they could have been way too expensive to buy.
I got my first CD player in 1984. CDs were about £10 then so yes they were expensive back then.
If I thought what you’d think I wouldn’t even be here.

karnsculpture

#8 Post by karnsculpture »

In 1986 CDs cost between £10 and £15 new, with chart titles usually at the lower end (discounted due to competition between shops). The dealer price was around £8, so not cheap. For perspective, £10 in 1986 is just under £30 today taking into account inflation. CDs were definitely priced as luxury items, and for a few years it was seen as a bit scandalous in the UK because they were cheaper in the US. The argument was that production costs were higher than for vinyl and cassette. That changed from about 1990 as there were more pressing plants around the UK and Europe.

Meanwhile LPs were priced around £5 to £7 in 1986 - this crept up so that by 1990 I saw a copy of Actually on sale for £10.
£5 in 1986 would be £15 today.

rollo

#9 Post by rollo »

Ramzy wrote:
Sat 08 Aug 2020, 12:49 pm
Nerd question time. Was Please released on CD at the same time as the LP and cassette, or did it come out solely on those formats at first?
No, I was researching the Record Mirror CD charts a year or so ago, and that led me to conclude that the CD was likely released in June 1986, whereas the LP/CS came out in March. See here. It charted on Sat 28 Jun 1986, so I imagine it would have likely been released on Mon 14 Jun.
Check out my new music blog...
http://musicforstowaways.wordpress.com/

Ramzy

#10 Post by Ramzy »

rollo wrote:
Sun 09 Aug 2020, 7:25 pm
Ramzy wrote:
Sat 08 Aug 2020, 12:49 pm
Nerd question time. Was Please released on CD at the same time as the LP and cassette, or did it come out solely on those formats at first?
No, I was researching the Record Mirror CD charts a year or so ago, and that led me to conclude that the CD was likely released in June 1986, whereas the LP/CS came out in March. See here. It charted on Sat 28 Jun 1986, so I imagine it would have likely been released on Mon 14 Jun.
Thank you! This is exactly what I was after.

daveid

#11 Post by daveid »

I knew it was a bit later because Neil alludes to it in one of the album FL chats I think. When discussing the image of them on the album he says "when it was released on CD" they forgot to shrink the picture so it looks too large relatively. This implies it was some time later.