How many Tennant/Lowe-tracks?

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
BoyStrange

How many Tennant/Lowe-tracks?

#1 Post by BoyStrange »

===NERD ALERT!===

Does anyone have an excact number of how many unique tracks are released credited or co-credited to Tennant/Lowe (or Lowe/Tennant), performed by any artist (including PSB themselves, of course)?

I know that there's a list on Geowayne.com called "PSB Song Chronology" with 379 entries including songs released by other artists, but that list doesn't specify the songs' authors.

I'm also aware of a list on Wikipedia called "List of songs recorded by Pet Shop Boys", which is sortable by songwriters, but is not updated since 2009, and it does not include songs released by other artists

It would have been fun to know the excact quantity. If we take the 379 tracks on Geowayne's list and subtract songs not credited to Tennant/Lowe (or Lowe/Tennant), such as cover songs, then the number must be between 330 and 350, I guess.

(I'm concidering the possibility to create such a list myself and do my own counting, but that would be a great waste of time if such a list already exist. So that's why I'm asking.)

Dog

Re: How many Tennant/Lowe-tracks?

#2 Post by Dog »

BoyStrange wrote:===NERD ALERT!===

Does anyone have an excact number of how many unique tracks are released credited or co-credited to Tennant/Lowe (or Lowe/Tennant), performed by any artist (including PSB themselves, of course)?

I know that there's a list on Geowayne.com called "PSB Song Chronology" with 379 entries including songs released by other artists, but that list doesn't specify the songs' authors.

I'm also aware of a list on Wikipedia called "List of songs recorded by Pet Shop Boys", which is sortable by songwriters, but is not updated since 2009, and it does not include songs released by other artists

It would have been fun to know the excact quantity. If we take the 379 tracks on Geowayne's list and subtract songs not credited to Tennant/Lowe (or Lowe/Tennant), such as cover songs, then the number must be between 330 and 350, I guess.

(I'm concidering the possibility to create such a list myself and do my own counting, but that would be a great waste of time if such a list already exist. So that's why I'm asking.)
I think Geowayne’s list would be you best starting point, as you suggest.
Woof.

leesmapman

#3 Post by leesmapman »

I think it's all of them minus one, that one being Two divided by zero (and indeed, minus the covers).

Do you count What have I done to deserve this? as a pure Tennant/Lowe track, since it has got other writers too?

BoyStrange

#4 Post by BoyStrange »

leesmapman wrote: Wed 05 Aug 2020, 5:50 pm I think it's all of them minus one, that one being Two divided by zero
No, the Geowayne-list also includes songs written by others, such as cover songs.

BoyStrange

#5 Post by BoyStrange »

leesmapman wrote: Wed 05 Aug 2020, 5:50 pm Do you count What have I done to deserve this? as a pure Tennant/Lowe track, since it has got other writers too?
"Credited or co-credited to Tennant/Lowe".

"What have I done to deserve this?" is co-credited to Tennant/Lowe.

So yes, I count that song and other tracks where Tennant/Lowe are two of more authors, f.ex. "Go west", "Se a vida e" and "The way it used to be" (while I'm not counting "Two divided by zero" which is credited to only one of them).

Ramzy

#6 Post by Ramzy »

leesmapman wrote: Wed 05 Aug 2020, 5:50 pm I think it's all of them minus one, that one being Two divided by zero (and indeed, minus the covers)
There's at least one other - isn't Later Tonight credited to just "Tennant"?
I must disengage your recreational music.

leesmapman

#7 Post by leesmapman »

Ramzy wrote: Wed 05 Aug 2020, 8:36 pm
leesmapman wrote: Wed 05 Aug 2020, 5:50 pm I think it's all of them minus one, that one being Two divided by zero (and indeed, minus the covers)
There's at least one other - isn't Later Tonight credited to just "Tennant"?
Huh, you're right! You learn something every day.

BoyStrange

#8 Post by BoyStrange »

Well, according to Geowayne, "Later tonight" is credited Tennant/Lowe.

http://www.geowayne.com/newDesign/pleas ... onight.htm

leesmapman

#9 Post by leesmapman »

I've checked my Please CD and the Further Listening CD. The original doesn't have writing credits, Further Listening states Lowe/Tennant.

tottenhammattspurs

#10 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

Isn't One More Chance just Tennant-Orlando?
is is and isnt isnt

rabagast

#11 Post by rabagast »

tottenhammattspurs wrote: Thu 06 Aug 2020, 5:26 pm Isn't One More Chance just Tennant-Orlando?
The original one yes. Chris wrote the middle eight on the album version, hence a credit there

Ramzy

#12 Post by Ramzy »

leesmapman wrote: Thu 06 Aug 2020, 4:13 pm I've checked my Please CD and the Further Listening CD. The original doesn't have writing credits, Further Listening states Lowe/Tennant.
It's credited only to Tennant on the side B label of the original LP release - strange that the CD doesn't carry any writing credits! Don't own the remastered LP from 2017, but looking at the photos on Discogs it's also marked only as "Tennant" there. Given it's the only track with that credit, I'm inclined to believe it's deliberate. But who knows? (Although in the reissued CD commentary, Neil does refer to a "we" writing the song rather than an "I", so...)
I must disengage your recreational music.

Spittingcat

#13 Post by Spittingcat »

It’s “Tennant/Lowe” on Results. How odd.

leesmapman

#14 Post by leesmapman »

Spittingcat wrote: Thu 06 Aug 2020, 11:11 pm It’s “Tennant/Lowe” on Results. How odd.
Later Tonight, not Tonight is Forever