PSB DJ Culture Radio 1 - August 92

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
user29

Re: PSB DJ Culture Radio 1 - August 92

#46 Post by user29 »

How can i download these easily (it doesnt seem to offer a download option?)
Now, my head is spinning....
http://www.last.fm/user/pologeezer

Greendrake

#47 Post by Greendrake »

Very much appreciate your transcripts, but the dates still need to be corrected. In July 1992 the 27th was Monday. So, the 24th could not be Monday and the 25th could not be Tuesday.

leesmapman

#48 Post by leesmapman »

user29 wrote:
Sun 09 Aug 2020, 2:48 am
How can i download these easily (it doesnt seem to offer a download option?)
I used JDownloader2, a free program that gets streaming media

One of the crowd

#49 Post by One of the crowd »

Looking back, how did they manage to pull off the 20 min mixes by the best DJs at the time on Radio 1 at 1030am?!!
Fishing

canveyboy

#50 Post by canveyboy »

G_Goalden wrote:
Mon 03 Aug 2020, 3:18 pm
Thanks for all the kind offers and responses:

I've put the first two (Monday's show) on Mixcloud. The links are below.

https://www.mixcloud.com/graham-sykes/p ... -900-1000/
https://www.mixcloud.com/graham-sykes/p ... 1000-1100/

The quality is exactly what you would expect from a TDK D-90 recorded off the radio and which has been in my loft for 28 years. However, get past this and you can find some of the missing pieces between Behaviour and Very. Oh and there are a lot of mentions of fax machines! It is actually much much better than you are expecting it to be.

I'll get round to the others shortly. I'll try and get Tuesday's show ready for tomorrow morning.

G.
Thanks so much for doing this. Funnily enough I found my own TDK tape recordings of these shows in the loft round about the start of lockdown. One of my daughters had just bought a Billie Eilish cassette single and wanted to play it. So up in the loft I went to bring down my tape deck and right next to it was a brown box of tapes - and all 5 days were still there! I have no idea how to get audio from a tape onto a laptop so many thanks for doing this. I did play back a couple of my tapes on the tape deck just to see if anything was still on there and I was so pleased to hear the tapes playing absolutely perfectly. These shows they did introduced me to so many great dance tracks such as Felix - Don’t you want me, Liquid - Sweet Harmony, Brothers in Rhythm - Such a good feeling and I think maybe Baby June by Baby June!

Great days!
Its taken me all of my life to find you

fluffmoln

#51 Post by fluffmoln »

Greendrake wrote:
Sun 09 Aug 2020, 11:10 am
Very much appreciate your transcripts, but the dates still need to be corrected. In July 1992 the 27th was Monday. So, the 24th could not be Monday and the 25th could not be Tuesday.
I did cover the date correction in the first transcript post, and the transcript headers do have the correct dates. I did forget to change the dates in the post itself, and have gone back and edited them (with some other minor edits and added track updates). I can't change the Mixcloud URL or titles, since they are not my uploads.

Pet Shop Boys - Radio 1, Tuesday 28 July 1992, 10:00-11:00

With that said, on to Tuesday hour two, with an EXCLUSIVE Brothers In Rhythm mix of MJ's Who Is It, and a belter of a megamix by The Ratpack (of which the tracks within are too far over my genre knowledge level to try to parse out). Also, that news fella is starting to get to me...

Code: Select all

Pet Shop Boys - Radio 1, Tuesday 28 July 1992, 10:00-11:00
(00:00) Pet Shop Boys jingle ("1 FM Pet Shop Boys")
(00:11) Rachel Wallace - Tell Me Why
(03:53) Neil: "Destined for great things, that was Tell Me Why by Rachel Wallace". [She opened up a clothes shop in Munich the next year, then moved to Miami, then came back to the UK to join Stereo MC's]. He then announces that Brothers In Rhythm have sneaked in an exclusive Michael Jackson mix to be played in the next half hour.
(04:08) Hyper Go Go ‎– High (Another Hooj Choons cut, definitely a favourite label of theirs at the time. This track is a great blatant Strings of Life knockoff.)
(08:07) Chris again, after listener phone calls and faxes about this track being played yesterday, drolls out the artist and title in his most Northern of Blackpool accents, rendering it still nearly impossible to find. He pronounces the Hugly part though ("Hoogly"), which of course made me find it!
(08:18) The Good 2 Bad And Hugly - Espania (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y029uYooTdY ... What a tune! A white label off Ruff Kut! Records. Chris certainly knew where to look for good music.)
(11:41) Neil announces an EXCLUSIVE new Brothers In Rhythm remix of the new MJ single "Who Is It", only to be relased in the US, will now be played, boy oh boy.
(12:00) Michael Jackson - Who Is It (Brothers In Rhythm House Mix) (It wasn't commercially released in the US until March 1993 - with the BIR mix being track A1 on the 12" - so this is indeed a very exclusive and early preview.)
(18:37) Chris announces news is upcoming and that Ratpack will provide a megamix follwing it. He also suggests clubbing spots for the evening starting with "Betty Ford Clinic @ The Wag". Neil butts in saying Fat Tony (Tony Marnach) is DJing at London club "[abarovar] Industrial" (speak up Neil, what are you saying?), Chris chuckles. He goes on: "Ciao Baby @ The Fridge" with Mark Lawrence and Mark Andrews, and its live show "Caged Mussel", to which Neil comments "sounds camp". But wait, there's more! Neil continues: "Pipps Belfast hosts DJ Danny Dee", Chris (barely holding his laughter) announces Chemistry Tokyo Jones "in Preston", and Neil brings it home announcing that in Cheltenham, "Steve Aspee is DJing at Nod Your Head, the 21 Club". It was all compiled by Dan Prince at Mixmag. Cheers Dan.
(19:18) The Age Of Love - The Age Of Love (Jam & Spoon Watch Out For Stella Mix) (two days in a row!)
(23:41) Neil says hello to some hardcore fanatics in Norfolk and wishes a happy birthday to his brother Simon in Manchester.
(23:55) Andronicus ‎– Make You Whole (another Hooj Choons gem, via the Ffrreedom label).
(29:27) Chris announces that hey, it's 10:30, megamix coming up, but first "... Rod McKenzie...". Education secratary John Patton has shaken up school policy, the most "for fefty yeaars", no one wants to hear the extended policy expert expound, yet there he is... talking. Some more news about that damned Agricultural Ministry building in Baghdad. The Welch heart transplant girl again (RIP), the Stansted cocaine thing, and the bloody Tory/EU VAT rate kerfuffle. Then again, Cilla Black inherited Frankie Howerd stuff, because you know, he liked her company. And finally the comedic news sendoff, no more funnier that any of the other ones. It goes on forever, but it's a "funny story" about an American mother suing her son for whatever reason. It's a non-story, and probably fabricated.
(32:02) Pet Shop Boys jingle (Music For Boys)
(32:18) The "legendary wild" Ratpack announces a mix for the "legendary wild" Pet Shop Boys.
(32:27) The Ratpack - Searchin' For My Rizla
(34:17 - 47:00) A "legendary wild" megamix of breakbeat stuff I don't really now if I can ever identify.
(47:00) Pet Shop Boys jingle (Pet Shop Boys in the morning... Radio 1)
(47:11) Morrissey - You're The One For Me, Fatty
(50:00) Ah, the BBC Proms ad again. This guy's voice is intolerable. "BBC employees and Pet Shop Boys... cannot apply". Bugger off.
(51:01) Chris thanks "the Pack" for the "excellent mix", then announces... hang on, what's the track name... Then a cheeky hello to the lads on the "Ship King's Lynn"(?)
(51:15) Liquid - Sweet Harmony
(55:10) Liquid - House (Is A Feeling)
(58:28) Neil thanks Fergus Dudley and Claire Sturgess (who seems to have produced radio shows for yonks) for helping out. Chris tells us they'll be back tomorrow as the majestic Jealousy orchestral intro hums along.
(59:10) Irrelevance. Your zoo stuff is boring, Steve Wright.

le petit corbusier

#52 Post by le petit corbusier »

Thank you so much!

Enviado desde mi Mi A2 mediante Tapatalk

Look left, then right
And run for your life

fluffmoln

#53 Post by fluffmoln »

Pet Shop Boys - Radio 1, Wednesday 29 July 1992, 09:00-10:00

It's absolutely sweltering weather in the UK and Europe at the moment, so transcribing these shows helps taking my mind of the heat. I also just noted that Pod posted the Espania tune I had such a hard time finding on page 2. Wish I would have re-read the thread!

Pet Shop Boys - Radio 1, Wednesday 29 July 1992, 09:00-10:00
(00:00) Pet Shop Boys jingle (Music For Boys)
(00:10) Chris: "Morning!" Neil: "Hello."
(00:11) David Bowie - Boys Keep Swinging
(03:08) Chris introduces themselves, "live on the Golden Hour. What was the year?". The tone is very much "Eh? Eh? What was it?"
(03:12) Patrick Hernandez - Born To Be Alive (originally released in November 1978, the song spread like a wildfire across Europe and to some degree in the UK and US in 1979).
(05:05) Neil tells a perhaps in his mind flabbergasted audience that "we are indeed the Pet Shop Boys", then gives out a clue. Ayatollah Khomeini leaves France after being exiled for 14 years and becomes the leader of Iran.
(05:17) Bee Gees - Tragedy
(09:40) Pet Shop Boys jingle (It's A Sin)
(09:50) Chris gives the contact deets to use for the folks who know the year.
(10:00) Tubeway Army - Are 'Friends' Electric?
(14:18) Neil muses that it was the year of Tubeway Army. There were also rail strikes, and Maggie became the first woman PM.
(14:27) Elvis Costello and the Attractions - Oliver's Army
(17:11) Chris reads a fax from listener Jim Lawrence: "Neil and Chris, I think the year for part one is 1977, but I'm probably wrong as usual. Keep up the good work." Chris confirms "well, he [i]is[/i] wrong actually", then laughs half-mockingly.
(17:22) Barbra Streisand and Donna Summer - No More Tears (Enough Is Enough)
(21:47) The Clash - London Calling
(24:36) Abrupt interruption by Neil, citing "tons of faxes", including PFS Security Systems in Swindon. Neil reckons, as they fax in "every single day", that they must have the Guinness Book of Hit Singles "because they always get it right". Some other listeners got it right as well. Maybe they all own that book.
(24:53) Chaka Khan - I'm Every Woman (actually released worldwide in September 1978. Shocking lack of knowledge by Neil and Chris.)
(26:21) Chris butts in that "the year 'of course' is 1979".
(26:23) McFadden & Whitehead - Ain't No Stoppin' Us Now (other than the garbled TDK D-90 tape used to record the show off the radio :))
(29:09) Neil announces the it's time for news. Everyone, take five! Rod starts with a Balkan War story to lighten the mood, and again the UN inspectors investigate the Agricultural Ministry building in Baghdad. Six drug arrests in Manchester. Something about a Norfolk "super bike", developed by Lotus, one bloke wonders what the fuss is about. As do we, man, as do we... BT profits because of redundancies, and Michael Jackson will as part of his Dangerous tour visit children in hospitals (...). And finally, you can sleep with the US presidents. Faces on bed sheets. Hahaha, what will they think of next? Alright, smoke break's over.
(31:39) Second part, and Chris announces a "brilliant record! But what was the year?"
(31:48) Kariya ‎– Let Me Love You For Tonight
(35:12) Neil introduces a clue: Arthur Scargill was re-elected President of the National Union of Mineworkers.
(35:19) Womack & Womack - Teardrops
(38:42) Chris recalls that this was the year when hundreds of nurses marched on Parliament in support of more money for the NHS. 
(38:52) S'Express - Theme From S'Express
(42:22) "Take these dogs away from me!" Neil clues people in on the year: the Bank of England £1 note ceased to be legal tender, Sotheby's in New York flogged Andy Warhol's art collection, "and we made a record with Patsy Kensit." Shameless self promotion!
(42:34) Eighth Wonder - I'm Not Scared
(45:50) Chris: "One of my favourite records of this year was..."
(45:53) Johnny Kemp - Just Got Paid
(49:23) Neil and Chris says hello and congratulates listeners getting the year right, including "the lads at Cross Diamond Tools in Hoddlesden" and "Mark Ridley from Peterlee, County Durham". Neil corrects Chris, saying it's "Mary Ridley, actually". Chris rereads the name: "Oh is it? Oh yeah! What did I say?" Neil deadpans "Mark", Chris laughs, goes "well, there you go" and briefly wonders if the next song that's playing is what he thinks it is. It is.
(49:51) Raze - Break 4 Love
(53:52) Neil: "The year was 1988, the year when Bros were unavoidable."
(53:52) Bros - When Will I Be Famous? (actually released in November 1987, but I'll allow this "mistake" since it didn't reach no. 2 until January 1988, thus making the lads "unavoidable". The song is of course co-written by the mighty Tom Watkins, RIP.)
(58:44) Chris says they'll be back after the news. Rod McKenzie drones on: War in former Yugoslavia, war in Iraq (remember that Agricultural Ministry building? Yeah it's mentioned again). That drug raid in Manchester is mentioned, and then the news thankfully ends there.
(59:12) Sneak peek into the next hour, the sped up "1 FM Pet Shop Boys" jingle, then the first tune of the second hour.

One of the crowd

#54 Post by One of the crowd »

TallThinMan wrote:
Mon 03 Aug 2020, 8:35 pm
Thanks for uploading. Was this the one when Chris referred to Sabrina Johnston’s “Peace” as a f-ing brilliant record, live on national radio?
Here is that very clip..

Its from Day 1 from their 1991 stint, Monday 12th August 1991....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8OeBet1TRk
Fishing

One of the crowd

#55 Post by One of the crowd »

fluffmoln wrote:
Sun 09 Aug 2020, 7:03 pm

(34:17 - 47:00) A "legendary wild" megamix of breakbeat stuff I don't really now if I can ever identify.
Ratpack - Searching For My Rizla (Censored)
DJ Rap - Divine Rhythm
Jonny L - Hurt You So
Ratpack - Ratpack Takes You Higher
Bodysnatch - Just 4 U London

Are in there
Fishing

tottenhammattspurs

#56 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

That Hugly track (Good, 2 Bad and Ugly) Espania, took me six months to track down. Finally found the white label in Soul man Records in Westcliff on Sea. Paid £7.99 for it. Still have it.Still an absolute belter!
is is and isnt isnt

fluffmoln

#57 Post by fluffmoln »

Pet Shop Boys - Radio 1, Wednesday 29 July 1992, 10:00-11:00

First, some listener input:
One of the crowd wrote:
Mon 10 Aug 2020, 12:00 am
fluffmoln wrote:
Sun 09 Aug 2020, 7:03 pm
Ratpack - Searching For My Rizla (Censored)
DJ Rap - Divine Rhythm
Jonny L - Hurt You So
Ratpack - Ratpack Takes You Higher
Bodysnatch - Just 4 U London

Are in there
Huge. Will have to go back and edit the transcript once I'm done with all of them.

Neil and Chris are for sure warming up to the week, providing plenty of good tunes and even better banter:
  • Neil mentions "millions of faxes coming in", and highlights a nice one from West Yorkshire Playhouse in Leeds: "Chris, keep on raving, and Neil, you're still a sex god". Neil immediately interjects that "even though, of course, I am really a middle-aged man".
  • "Anyway..." Neil deadpans, "very exciting... what's this record? Let's just shut up and listen to it, shall we?"
  • Also, in fact Cicero plays live tonight @ Markeaton Park, Derby. Neil: "Denton's here, he's going up with him. What time is he gonna be on, Denton?" Denton: "About between seven and eight." Neil: "So it shouldn't be too late a night for you." Chris: "Mmm, be in bed about ten."
  • Neil reads a complaint from "the entire staff of Nixon Studios, in Dale Street, Manchester." They say: "can't you stop playing all this dance rave rubbish and play something decent from The Hit Parade, like Elvis or The Beatles?" Neil retorts: "I think Brian from Nixon Studios is in a bit of a time warp, this is the 1990s, not the mid 60s".
  • Chris says we're listening to "the classic sounds of Papa Dee", then mentions having received a fax asking him what he's wearing. "Ehm... just some after shave, really".
  • Best quote of the morning is Chris's leaving note of: "We'll be back with more manufactured pop tomorrow."

Pet Shop Boys - Radio 1, Wednesday 29 July 1992, 10:00-11:00
(00:00) Neil kicks off hour two with a tune.
(00:10) Messiah - I Feel Love
(04:12) Chris messes up the announcement of the upcoming megamixers - Slipmatt & Lime - "haha, otherwise known as SL2". 
(04:24) Baby June - Hey! What's Your Name (Brassneck Mix)
(08:30) Neil wonders if we "can work out who this is." Oh Neil...
(08:35) Boy George - The Crying Game (Extended Dance Mix) (Dave Berry cover. The 12" remix was made by a chap called Hans Olav Grøttheim. He had some 12" records released as YBU and Photon, them moved on to produce mostly Norwegian artists and also be a judge on a season of the Norwegian Idol. The things you learn.)
(12:42) Neil, having made us guess, reveals that it of course is Boy George. Ha! Can't trick us, Neil. And it's a PREVIEW of the upcoming 12" remix to be released end of August. 
(12:49) Ratpack - Ratpack Fantasy (Hey, it's our megamix friends from yesterday! Maybe this track was played during that "legendary wild" mix?)
(17:20) Pet Shop Boys jingle (DJ Culturemix)
(17:29) Chris tells us all that "that was the Ratpack taking you higher" (the track played being the chill remix of the track Ratpack Takes You Higher from the Changing Styles 12"). He also reminds us that they did the megamix yesterday "gotta check them out...". Neil interjects about the Slipmatt & Lime mix coming up, then Chris puts on what must be choon of the week, nay year.
(17:44) Felix - Don't You Want Me (second time this week)
(23:24) Zero B - Lock Up (starts)
(23:41) Neil mentions "millions of faxes coming in", and highlights a nice one from West Yorkshire Playhouse in Leeds: "Chris, keep on raving, and Neil, you're still a sex god". Neil immediately interjects that "even though, of course, I am really a middle-aged man". The fax continues: "If Denton's around, can you say hello?" Neil explains that Denton "actually works for us" and that we might have seen him in the So Hard video. "He's coming in later, so... maybe we'll put him on the air." Chris responds to a what-track-was-that question from a tune played on Monday (how nice of him). Then Robert in Sevenoaks wonders if they "can watch us cut a record in the studio? Ehm, no..." Neil laughs. No signings! No photos! "Or actually, possibly." Neil is vaguely open to a "signed photo contest". Chris then mentions Norman, because a fax from Lynne wants them to. "Anyway..." Neil deadpans, "very exciting... what's this record? Let's just shut up and listen to it, shall we?"
(24:36) Zero B - Lock Up (off the Module EP on Great Asset in 1991, but this is quite possibly the "Monolith"-titled mix from the same year re-release "EP" on Ignition Records).
(28:34) Ah, the BBC Proms. The juxtaposition in going from a hardcore track to a full orchestra composition is quite something. Then again, Neil is in the studio... Let's win some tickets, but only if you know the Russian composer who wrote the Nutcracker Suite. I bet Neil knows, but he can't compete, as stated yesterday (but not today).
(29:36) Neil announces the arrival of Rod McKenzie. Deep breath everyone! Balkan War, BT profits/redundancies (now with interview!), a yachtsman's body found on an island in Essex, Northern Ireland UDR conviction update, US human rights groups upset with Ulster, and finally the fun item: in Florida, you can now learn how to give the kiss of death to your dog. The segment again goes on way too long, including a reporter on the scene.
(32:03) Pet Shop Boys jingle ("Pet Shop Boys in the morning", jauntily sung by Neil). Chris introduces the megamix with SL2, "you've probably heard them at some of the larger raves, like Raindance, Fancy, Perception, and Amnesia." Jingle ends.
(32:28) Slipmatt & Lime (SL2) Megamix (roughly 13 minutes long). It rules.
(45:54) Pet Shop Boys jingle (Pet Shop Boys in the morning... Radio 1)
(46:05) Cicero - Heaven Must Have To Sent You Back To Me (Melt Mix) (starts)
(46:28) Club Guide, courtesy of DMC, and it's long one. Suggestions include Knowledge @ SW1 with Monday megamix hero Colin Faver, and Mason's Bar in Gerrards Cross hosts Mark Wilkinson. In Exeter, there's Mighty Force and DIY Soundsystem. Chris announces "Decadence @ Baker's, Birmingham" where Roger Sanchez has no idea how big he'll eventually become. Neil: "In Silk's, York, there's Nuuuude with Rad Rice, Don McKenzie, that sounds rather exciting". Carl Cox is at Useless @ Fallow's, Liverpool. The Haçienda in Manchester which "we know well, of course" it's Flesh with Tim Lennox, Luke Howard, Paul Lead(?) and Adele(??!!). Christ, this list goes on forever. Serving @ The Carlton Club, Warrington with Steve Naylor. Neil, fittingly: "All Wee Geordies will be going to Scratch @ Central Park, Newcastle-upon-Tyne with Andy Baxter and Simon Gibb". The Huntsman @ Tandragee, County Armagh with Mark One and Carl. Brighton Escape Club has E-Mu with Dominic Mandrell and Jackie Becker. Chris: "Lockup of the Rhythm Station, Aldershot..." Neil: "They've got The Rhythm Doctor... Chaos @ The Octagon, Bangor!" Chris: "And the Top Banana @ The Warehouse, Brighton." Neil: So it's quite a busy night tonight..." Neil then shamelessly starts plugging Cicero, of their own label, but "there have been loads or request" to hear his new 12" remix (currently playing, it should be pointed out). Also, in fact Cicero plays live tonight @ Markeaton Park, Derby. Neil: "Denton's here, he's going up with him. What time is he gonna be on, Denton?" Denton: "About between seven and eight." Neil: "So it shouldn't be too late a night for you." Chris: "Mmm, be in bed about ten. And hello to Pete and Jess and everyone at BPM". That's the management team for Cicero. The lads finally shut up.
(48:09) Cicero - Heaven Must Have To Sent You Back To Me (Melt Mix) (mixed by David Jacob)
(51:54) Papa Dee - Ain't No Substitute (Peter Lorimer Remix) (starts)
(52:11) Neil reads a complaint from "the entire staff of Nixon Studios, in Dale Street, Manchester." They say: "can't you stop playing all this dance rave rubbish and play something decent from The Hit Parade, like Elvis or The Beatles?" Neil retorts: "I think Brian from Nixon Studios is in a bit of a time warp, this is the 1990s, not the mid 60s".
(52:29) Papa Dee - Ain't No Substitute (Peter Lorimer Remix)
(55:33) Chris says we're listening to "the classic sounds of Papa Dee", then mentions having received a fax asking him what he's wearing. "Ehm... just some after shave, really".
(55:49) F/O/A/D ‎– Work It Out (either the Alcan Garage mix or the Epitome Of Hype Style mix, but I can't find them online to compare against. It doesn't sound like the Original mix, though.)
(58:40) Neil says that's about it for the day and thanks those in studio that helped out. Chris: "We'll be back with more manufactured pop tomorrow." Jealousy (the extended mix) again reigns supreme, straight into the BBC beeps.
(59:17) Hello Steve Wright, I'm switching the station now.
Last edited by fluffmoln on Tue 11 Aug 2020, 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

fluffmoln

#58 Post by fluffmoln »

*placeholder for the next one*

Greendrake

#59 Post by Greendrake »

G_Goalden wrote:
Mon 03 Aug 2020, 3:18 pm
The quality is exactly what you would expect from a TDK D-90 recorded off the radio and which has been in my loft for 28 years.
Mixcloud makes only 67-68 kbps available to us. Reckon your rips sound much better than that. Since you are making them publicly available anyway and this does not seem to be of any copyright issue, why not just share the files you ripped as downloads? Any reasonable file sharing platform will do e.g. mega.nz. Thanks in advance.