Live performances of Chris in past and now.

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Patrick Bateman

Re: Live performances of Chris in past and now.

#31 Post by Patrick Bateman »

stussyboy wrote: Sun 02 Aug 2020, 1:35 pm I chatted briefly to Chris at the bar at Muzik and I thought he looked better than I expected. I think sometimes he doesn’t photograph particularly well - I feel that pain!

It’s always difficult when your public persona is a disguise, as people’s image of your true appearance is probably the Actually front cover - 33 years ago. Even us hardcore fans rarely see a picture of Chris without hat and/or glasses - when I saw him at Muzik I had to convince myself it was actually him as in a theatre-full of PSB fans no one seemed to recognise him!
Really? That's mad. I reckon I'd recognise his voice, assuming that's not artifice too.....

oakey

#32 Post by oakey »

stussyboy wrote: Sun 02 Aug 2020, 1:35 pm I chatted briefly to Chris at the bar at Muzik and I thought he looked better than I expected. I think sometimes he doesn’t photograph particularly well - I feel that pain!

It’s always difficult when your public persona is a disguise, as people’s image of your true appearance is probably the Actually front cover - 33 years ago. Even us hardcore fans rarely see a picture of Chris without hat and/or glasses - when I saw him at Muzik I had to convince myself it was actually him as in a theatre-full of PSB fans no one seemed to recognise him!
I had the same experience at Closer to Heaven last year. Briefly complimented him but only one or 2 others seem to recognize him. And had to convince me it was really him at first.
Last edited by oakey on Tue 16 Feb 2021, 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dog

#33 Post by Dog »

In the same vein, I approached Neil at the BBC Concert Orchestra “Music and Chance” night at the Queen Elizabeth Hall in London in 2009. He happily signed and chatted but needed to point out to me that I was standing right next to Chris and that I might want his autograph too.
Woof.

Dog

#34 Post by Dog »

I reckon when we next see Chris he’ll have a massive lockdown beard; the full ZZ Top. That’ll be his new look for the come back.
Woof.

Old Soak

#36 Post by Old Soak »

It probably depends on the circumstances whether he's forthcoming or not but I'm struck by a memory of a story (I can't remember where from) where Chris used to go to watch Arsenal with Dainton and whenever they scored Chris seemingly loving being thrown around like a rag doll in wild celebration by Dainton. Certainly hints at a different aspect to his public persona.
And at the end/ Your funny Uncle staring / At all your friends / With military bearing

Harry

#37 Post by Harry »

I had the same experience at Musik with Chris. He was there completely incognito with friends, just in an expensive-looking black hoodie and jeans. Throughout the show you could hear him hooting with laughter.

Virtually nobody recognised him. He looks MUCH better in person. He’s small, slim, energetic. He was already 60 then but there was something youthful about him, darting round the bar, beer in hand.

I had a brief chat with him where I said “The show was great” and he said “Yeah and the music wasn’t bad either HAHAHA!” and literally thumped me in the shoulder like I was his mate. Totally different from his PSB persona.

I agree with other posters, the best reflection of him is the Somewhere documentary. I don’t think it’s online but it’s on the Somewhere DVD. Well worth seeking out for a unique look at both Neil and Chris being themselves.
Heaven is possible,
AFTER ALL.

S-sense

#38 Post by S-sense »

The documentary can be found on a certain video platform. You are right , Chris comes across in a slightly different way there.

How can you not recognise him being in the audience? I think he has a very recognisable voice and laughter. Both should be familiar to most of the fans 😉

Dog

#39 Post by Dog »

Chris was on great form after the show, drinking and chatting with fans on the street around the back of the theatre. He was joking around asking to sign body parts rather than programmes.
Woof.

psb-freak

#40 Post by psb-freak »

He's really funny. I have enjoyed chatting with him when meeting the boys. Once I was all alone in the middle of the streets of Copenhagen when having a short chat. He was much more relaxed than after the concerts with tons of fans around. :D
Interviewer:
-What would you tell someone about yourself if you wanted to impress them?

Chris:
-I´ve got a 12-inch plonker.

Gabby

#41 Post by Gabby »

Chris has a dry wit - very funny, but I reckon watch out because those witticisms could easily be directed at you!

I've only met Neil and Chris at a couple of pre-show M&G's, and to be honest the first time I hardly recall Chris. However, Neil noted my accent was "not from around here" - I was a Brit in Canada - so I told him I was from Stratford, UK, and he commented on how his friend (one Bernard Sumner) used to live around there. Chris quipped that Shakespeare wasn't someone Neil had ever really "channelled" in his lyrics and that maybe he should.

My wife suggested they needed a break from touring and should come around to ours for a cup of tea one day. Offer's still open!

At the other M&G a few years later I had them sign the tour programme, but the word "programme" escaped me (it frequently does). So I asked Chris if he'd sign my "brochure", but knowing it was the wrong word, I said it in a pompously ridiculous way "bro-shewer". That seemed to tickle Chris' funny bone.