Live performances of Chris in past and now.

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Greendrake

Re: Live performances of Chris in past and now.

#16 Post by Greendrake »

Anyone who intends to defend a dissertation on Chris must pay attention to the Savoy documentary (1997) released on DVD. Strangely I can't find it on Youtube now. Here is a very Chrissy moment from there at 24:25:
vlcsnap-2020-07-25-23h19m49s501.jpg
vlcsnap-2020-07-25-23h19m49s501.jpg (72.34 KiB) Viewed 967 times

AlwaysBoring

#17 Post by AlwaysBoring »

Greendrake wrote:
Sat 25 Jul 2020, 12:29 pm
Anyone who intends to defend a dissertation on Chris must pay attention to the Savoy documentary (1997) released on DVD. Strangely I can't find it on Youtube now. Here is a very Chrissy moment from there at 24:25:
Haha I will have to try track the documentary.

domino

#18 Post by domino »

Greendrake wrote:
Sat 25 Jul 2020, 12:29 pm

It's also part of the "Somewhere" music video.
A blues would be in B flat, pain defining wisdom,
but the soul is in the high hat, programmed in the system.

Greendrake

#19 Post by Greendrake »

domino wrote:
Sat 25 Jul 2020, 3:29 pm
It's also part of the "Somewhere" music video.
Oh really. I admit I never could force myself to watch the Somewhere video from A to Z. Precisely because I've instead watched the Savoy DVD from A to Z several times.

geowayne

#20 Post by geowayne »

AlwaysBoring wrote:
Thu 23 Jul 2020, 3:31 pm
His comment about not liking kissing as it’s too intimate is particularly surreal.
I know I'm probably opening a can of worms with this, but that attitude about kissing being "too intimate" is actually a surprisingly common view among some gay men. There are many guys who regard kissing as far more "intimate" -- as in "No kissing" -- than various other acts (let's just leave it at that) that most other people consider far more "intimate" than mere kissing. They may engage in overtly sexual activity with total or near strangers ("pickups"), but they reserve kissing for lovers/partners/significant others.

Now, that being said, just because Chris may hold similar views doesn't necessarily mean he's gay, although I personally believe he is. I'm just pointing out that it's an attitude shared by many gay men.

AlwaysBoring

#21 Post by AlwaysBoring »

geowayne wrote:
Mon 27 Jul 2020, 11:18 pm
AlwaysBoring wrote:
Thu 23 Jul 2020, 3:31 pm
His comment about not liking kissing as it’s too intimate is particularly surreal.
I know I'm probably opening a can of worms with this, but that attitude about kissing being "too intimate" is actually a surprisingly common view among some gay men. There are many guys who regard kissing as far more "intimate" -- as in "No kissing" -- than various other acts (let's just leave it at that) that most other people consider far more "intimate" than mere kissing. They may engage in overtly sexual activity with total or near strangers ("pickups"), but they reserve kissing for lovers/partners/significant others.

Now, that being said, just because Chris may hold similar views doesn't necessarily mean he's gay, although I personally believe he is. I'm just pointing out that it's an attitude shared by many gay men.
I have heard this before. I’m not sure how old the quote is though so things might have changed for him. As a new fan I find it strange how much he seemed to age in such a short time but I’m also not speculating as to why.

Spittingcat

#22 Post by Spittingcat »

You do know he was born at the end of the 50s? How young do you expect him to look?

Greendrake

#23 Post by Greendrake »

Spittingcat wrote:
Thu 30 Jul 2020, 12:05 am
You do know he was born at the end of the 50s? How young do you expect him to look?
Well, not older than Neil at least.

I think Chris was ageing normally until late 00s when his ageing accelerated. In July 2005 I saw him face to face, he looked his 45 years old. In 2013 he already looked like no less than 15 years had passed since then. His unwillingness to show his face lately would be explained by that. Reasons? Who knows. In the 2016 Literally someone asked them about their health and Chris said along the lines that things tend to fall apart here and there as you age. Also Chris has never been making impression of living a healthy lifestyle: he would party, sleep a lot, eat junk food. Never heard of him doing any sort of fitness (apart from spontaneous irregular runs for fun he confessed about in the latest Annually). Whereas Neil used to run regularly to keep fit and eat healthy.

AlwaysBoring

#24 Post by AlwaysBoring »

Spittingcat wrote:
Thu 30 Jul 2020, 12:05 am
Like I said, I was talking about how he seemed to age massively in a short time. Of course people age, it wasn’t a criticism. Neil looks younger than him now.

eastendboy

#25 Post by eastendboy »

There certainly isn't another pop star like Chris. If I remember rightly Patsy Kensit called him the Victor Meldrew of pop many years ago (for those of you who have no idea who Victor Meldrew is, he was a character from a sitcom who would moan about anything and everything) and if he can get away with doing very little or nothing he will. Personally I have been very influenced by the clothes Chris has worn over the years. I nearly fainted when I went to the Michiko Koshino shop in London and had to save for a while before I could afford anything from there!

Regarding his sexuality it has never bothered me as I've always had the attitude that if people are happy then that is all that matters and if he decides to say either way one day then good for him but I doubt he will ever do that.

People age differently and maybe all the all night raves have caught up with Chris but to me it doesn't matter as he will always be an influence to me and I have been lucky enough to meet him once after their gig at Heaven Nightclub in 1991. At the time he was very bouncy and chatty and although I don't support Arsenal I got chatting to Dainton first and I think that helped for him to introduce Chris and Neil to me.

AlwaysBoring

#26 Post by AlwaysBoring »

eastendboy wrote:
Thu 30 Jul 2020, 1:11 pm
There certainly isn't another pop star like Chris. If I remember rightly Patsy Kensit called him the Victor Meldrew of pop many years ago (for those of you who have no idea who Victor Meldrew is, he was a character from a sitcom who would moan about anything and everything) and if he can get away with doing very little or nothing he will. Personally I have been very influenced by the clothes Chris has worn over the years. I nearly fainted when I went to the Michiko Koshino shop in London and had to save for a while before I could afford anything from there!

Regarding his sexuality it has never bothered me as I've always had the attitude that if people are happy then that is all that matters and if he decides to say either way one day then good for him but I doubt he will ever do that.

People age differently and maybe all the all night raves have caught up with Chris but to me it doesn't matter as he will always be an influence to me and I have been lucky enough to meet him once after their gig at Heaven Nightclub in 1991. At the time he was very bouncy and chatty and although I don't support Arsenal I got chatting to Dainton first and I think that helped for him to introduce Chris and Neil to me.
I’m sure he’s great fun to be around once he knows and trusts someone. Regarding his age, it is only more apparent because I’ve only just become a fan. I didn’t recognise him at first when I saw recent interviews. But as long as he’s happy that’s all that matters.

Spittingcat

#27 Post by Spittingcat »

In July 2005 I saw him face to face, he looked his 45 years old. In 2013 he already looked like no less than 15 years had passed since then.
Have you got to 50 yet? If not, you might want to start resetting your expectations before you do... :lol:

Chris was baby faced... (not sure if that expression translates around the world)... where as Neil's hair was receding, and he was looking a fair bit older than Chris for a while... I can see what you mean about about Chris catching up all of a sudden... but it comes to us all.

y3potential

#28 Post by y3potential »

AlwaysBoring wrote:
Thu 30 Jul 2020, 2:34 pm
eastendboy wrote:

I’m sure he’s great fun to be around once he knows and trusts someone. Regarding his age, it is only more apparent because I’ve only just become a fan. I didn’t recognise him at first when I saw recent interviews. But as long as he’s happy that’s all that matters.

Just wanted to say it's great to see a new fan here and someone contributing too..! Welcome to the Community..!
There is beauty in ugliness and ugliness in beauty.

AlwaysBoring

#29 Post by AlwaysBoring »

y3potential wrote:
Thu 30 Jul 2020, 7:39 pm
AlwaysBoring wrote:
Thu 30 Jul 2020, 2:34 pm
eastendboy wrote:

Just wanted to say it's great to see a new fan here and someone contributing too..! Welcome to the Community..!
Thank you, I’m trying to learn so I don’t ask all the obvious questions. Also currently working through the back catalogue :)

stussyboy

#30 Post by stussyboy »

I chatted briefly to Chris at the bar at Muzik and I thought he looked better than I expected. I think sometimes he doesn’t photograph particularly well - I feel that pain!

It’s always difficult when your public persona is a disguise, as people’s image of your true appearance is probably the Actually front cover - 33 years ago. Even us hardcore fans rarely see a picture of Chris without hat and/or glasses - when I saw him at Muzik I had to convince myself it was actually him as in a theatre-full of PSB fans no one seemed to recognise him!
NewYork London Tokyo LosAngeles