Left to my own Devices vs Being Boring

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.

Choose the best

Left to my own Devices
64%
Being Boring
36%

Total votes: 39

the8thark

Re: Left to my own Devices vs Being Boring

#16 Post by the8thark »

In my opinion:

The Introspective version of Left, I really don't like that at all. That's off the table in all discussions.
The PopArt/video version on the other hand is not that bad. I could learn to like the track a lot. Though I think the opportunity fo have Chris talk in the song is a missed opportunity as Neil does some talking here and it fits in well. The music is varied enough too to keep it fresh and interesting. "Chasing Debussy to a disco beat" really explains what the PSB are in a way.

Boring on the other hand, along with Jealousy book ends Behaviour really well. By far my favourite two tracks on the album. 6:50 though? Was that really necessary? Or could it have been closer to the PopArt version which is 4:50.
I get why Neil and Chris wanted it that long on Behaviour but it doesn't really fit. All that added length just feels like a hangover from Introspective.

So we've worked out I like the PopArt versions of both tracks much better. So comparing them? Which do I like better?
Musically, Left is the typical PSB sound. It's great. Lyrically it does nothing to me. Sure all PSB songs have a mening behind them but the choice of words here are really bland, low quality. Neil could have used better words to say the same thing.

Boring, tells a great story, easy to understand and the music just fits. Musically it's just the same thing for the whole track, there's no changeups like in Left. For me it's really easy to like.

So which am I choosing?
I'm choosing Being Boring.
Why? Because I have to really try hard to like Left. Whereas Boring is very easy to listen to and very easy to like. Also I feel lyrically Neil did a much better job with Boring. Vocally they are neck and neck, but Left probably just wins as Neil uses a little more of his vocal range there.

Now for my personal tastes/bias - Broring is the kind of PSB track I like. Left is not.
If you've done nothing wrong, you've got nothing to fear
If you've something to hide, you shouldn't even be here

retrofuturist

#17 Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
the8thark wrote:
Fri 24 Jul 2020, 11:21 am
"Chasing Debussy to a disco beat"
"Chasing" = Che Guevara.
the8thark wrote:
Fri 24 Jul 2020, 11:21 am
Neil could have used better words to say the same thing.
Why, when you'd mishear them and come to this conclusion?

Retro. :)

RichBeard

#18 Post by RichBeard »

Both are obvious classics! I voted for BB just to even things out.. Left to my own devices was trouncing it in the vote! Lol.. I don’t think I could choose tbh.. it’d have to depend on my mood..