Best version of Discography

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
djantik

Best version of Discography

#1 Post by djantik »

This has probably been done before, but what's the "best" version of Discography? That is, if you have to keep the track order the same, but you can pick any version of the song you want, what does your ideal Discography look like?

stevebr20012

Re: Best version of Discography

#2 Post by stevebr20012 »

West end girls - dance mix
Love comes quickly - dance mix
Opportunities - Shep Pettibone mastermix
Suburbia - full horror
It's a sin - disco mix
What have I done to deserve this? - disco mix
Rent - extended mix
Always on my mind - extended dance mix
Heart - disco mix
Domino dancing - disco mix
Left to my own devices - album version
It's alright - extended mix
So hard - extended dance mix
Being boring - album version
Streets - extended mix
Jealousy - extended mix (this is the most fantastic 12" version they have ever released in my opinion)
DJ Culture - extended mix
Was it worth it? - 12" mix

Bit of theme here, I love the extended 12" mixes of this era, it all went down hill rapidly from Can you forgive her?

The OCD in me wishes they had been more consistent with their remix naming convention - some singles had "disco" mixes which are genuine extended but not remixed versions and then "dance" mixes that were remixes but then other singles had them the other way round or only used one of the 2. For example West End girls/Love comes quickly - dance mix is an extended 12" - no disco mixes unless you count the Shep versions on Disco which are then remixes. Then on It's a sin the disco mix is an extended 12", but on it's follow there's an extended version and then the disco mix is a Shep remix. By the time of Heart, the disco mix is an extended 12" but the dance mix is another Shep remix. By 1989 they had ditched dance and disco mix names completely.

It's just not right (and that would make a great PSB song title)!

bongsteve

#3 Post by bongsteve »

stevebr20012 wrote:
Tue 14 Jul 2020, 8:32 pm
West end girls - dance mix
Love comes quickly - dance mix
Opportunities - Shep Pettibone mastermix
Suburbia - full horror
It's a sin - disco mix
What have I done to deserve this? - disco mix
Rent - extended mix
Always on my mind - extended dance mix
Heart - disco mix
Domino dancing - disco mix
Left to my own devices - album version
It's alright - extended mix
So hard - extended dance mix
Being boring - album version
Streets - extended mix
Jealousy - extended mix (this is the most fantastic 12" version they have ever released in my opinion)
DJ Culture - extended mix
Was it worth it? - 12" mix

Bit of theme here, I love the extended 12" mixes of this era, it all went down hill rapidly from Can you forgive her?

The OCD in me wishes they had been more consistent with their remix naming convention - some singles had "disco" mixes which are genuine extended but not remixed versions and then "dance" mixes that were remixes but then other singles had them the other way round or only used one of the 2. For example West End girls/Love comes quickly - dance mix is an extended 12" - no disco mixes unless you count the Shep versions on Disco which are then remixes. Then on It's a sin the disco mix is an extended 12", but on it's follow there's an extended version and then the disco mix is a Shep remix. By the time of Heart, the disco mix is an extended 12" but the dance mix is another Shep remix. By 1989 they had ditched dance and disco mix names completely.

It's just not right (and that would make a great PSB song title)!
Agreed. Loved the classic extended remixes during this time period and Can you forgive her? is still one of my least favorite remixes packages ever by PSB. Truly disappointing.

retrofuturist

#4 Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
bongsteve wrote:
Thu 16 Jul 2020, 12:36 am
Agreed. Loved the classic extended remixes during this time period and Can you forgive her? is still one of my least favorite remixes packages ever by PSB. Truly disappointing.
It was disappointing mainly from the perspective that this was the first time you couldn't say there was a genuine "extended mix" of a Pet Shop Boys single. The remixes were fine as remixes, but they broke away from this long standing tradition, and that's what made it particularly disappointing... especially so in my case, because Can You Forgive Her was and remains my favourite Pet Shop Boys song.

Retro. :)

One of the crowd

#5 Post by One of the crowd »

The best version of Discography is the version that was released back in November 1991

18 tracks of pure pop perfection of 5 minutes 1 second or less.
Fishing

bongsteve

#6 Post by bongsteve »

retrofuturist wrote:
Thu 16 Jul 2020, 5:58 am
Greetings,
bongsteve wrote:
Thu 16 Jul 2020, 12:36 am
It was disappointing mainly from the perspective that this was the first time you couldn't say there was a genuine "extended mix" of a Pet Shop Boys single. The remixes were fine as remixes, but they broke away from this long standing tradition, and that's what made it particularly disappointing... especially so in my case, because Can You Forgive Her was and remains my favourite Pet Shop Boys song.

Retro. :)
I do like the song, I just thought the actual mixes weren't very good.

df118junkie

#7 Post by df118junkie »

One of the crowd wrote:
Sun 19 Jul 2020, 10:08 am
The best version of Discography is the version that was released back in November 1991

18 tracks of pure pop perfection of 5 minutes 1 second or less.
I would agree. Probably the most perfect, consistent greatest hits that arrived at the perfect time in their imperial period.

However, I have two versions in my library which I keep updated. The first is every 7” version in order. The second is every 12” in order. This requires some artistic license through the late 90s and into the 21st century, but is still a quality ride.

tottenhammattspurs

#8 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

Best version? Take off DJ Culture and Was it worth it?? and replace with Go West and Love Etc.
is is and isnt isnt

Pod

#9 Post by Pod »

The only change I would make to the original would be to include the single mix of ‘how can you expect to be taken seriously?’
Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning. :|
It shows the world that you've got substance and depth.

TwizzleUK

#10 Post by TwizzleUK »

Pod wrote:
Tue 21 Jul 2020, 7:07 pm
The only change I would make to the original would be to include the single mix of ‘how can you expect to be taken seriously?’
That'd make it a double CD - unless you removed one of the other tracks.

TallThinMan

#11 Post by TallThinMan »

tottenhammattspurs wrote:
Tue 21 Jul 2020, 10:19 am
Best version? Take off DJ Culture and Was it worth it?? and replace with Go West and Love Etc.
If we're allowed to time travel now then they should include the absolutely brilliant single they release in September 2025.

Pod

#12 Post by Pod »

TwizzleUK wrote:
Tue 21 Jul 2020, 8:17 pm
Pod wrote:
Tue 21 Jul 2020, 7:07 pm
That'd make it a double CD - unless you removed one of the other tracks.
So be it!
If you look at stevebr’s version that could be a triple CD!
Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning. :|
It shows the world that you've got substance and depth.