Question about the b-side of the Ab Fab 7"

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Spittingcat

Re: Question about the b-side of the Ab Fab 7"

#16 Post by Spittingcat »

Quite boring, too repetitive.
Ha ha!
Rollo's one is head and shoulders above.
Agreed… mix it with JX “Son of a Gun”.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jake_Williams

Old Soak

#17 Post by Old Soak »

It's possible to make a hard edit within "Absolutely Dubulous" to cut out the minute of chatter in the middle which spoils an otherwise stonking dance track - it's undoubtedly the best version of the song IMO.
And at the end/ Your funny Uncle staring / At all your friends / With military bearing

Ramzy

#18 Post by Ramzy »

misterme wrote:
Sun 12 Jul 2020, 7:43 am
I take this opportunity to ask what you think about the Dull Soulless Dance Mix.
I never liked this remix. Quite boring, too repetitive. Rollo's one is head and shoulders above.

And I never managed to figure out what Joanna Lumley is saying in this sentence. Lyrics in the Very/FL booklet say "dull soulless dance music" but I don't hear "dance music" at the end. Something I would write down as "darvy" - I know this word doesn't exist but as english is not my native language, I cannot find what it is - does anyone have any idea ?
Hold on - the quote definitely is "dull, soulless dance music", not "darling" or anything else. The character's accent is slightly plummy and the words "dance music" are faster than the other two and slightly mumbled because it's cut from a piece of dialogue. But that's what she says!
I must disengage your recreational music.

Greendrake

#19 Post by Greendrake »

Ramzy wrote:
Sat 18 Jul 2020, 12:11 pm
Hold on - the quote definitely is "dull, soulless dance music", not "darling" or anything else. The character's accent is slightly plummy and the words "dance music" are faster than the other two and slightly mumbled because it's cut from a piece of dialogue. But that's what she says!
I wish I had your ears! But that's something a non-native English speaker probably can't ever get.

Ramzy

#20 Post by Ramzy »

Haha, if English is your second language then you're doing WAY better than me! She isn't pronouncing the words "properly", is the thing, but that particular kind of fast mumbling is very standard in conversational use to Brits so it just sounds normal. :)
I must disengage your recreational music.

Old Soak

#21 Post by Old Soak »

It's a comedy record. The "Dull Soulless Dance Music" mix is INTENDED to be exactly that. Dull. Soulless. Darnce music!
And at the end/ Your funny Uncle staring / At all your friends / With military bearing