What do you think PSB are going to do this year?

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
leesmapman

Re: What do you think PSB are going to do this year?

#16 Post by leesmapman »

they should do a live audio commentary of It Couldn't Happen Here on youtube.

Spittingcat

#17 Post by Spittingcat »

It never felt as if they really cared for or believed in the [hotspot] album, to me… even before it was released they were talking about it being a “transition album” and seemed more interested in the next album. And the planned tour didn’t reference it up front. The next thing isn’t far away… and the album/tour link has been broken already… no need to worry about plans for ‘touring the album’ now… the live stuff won’t focus on the latest/last album when the gigs start up again anyway.

glennjridge

#18 Post by glennjridge »

I hate to think this way but I cant even really listen to Hotspot anymore. its just too fused with the event. even the cover which I used to love I dislike now because it just seems to perfectly capture 2020. dreary.

Gabby

#19 Post by Gabby »

glennjridge wrote: Wed 16 Sep 2020, 7:19 am I hate to think this way but I cant even really listen to Hotspot anymore. its just too fused with the event. even the cover which I used to love I dislike now because it just seems to perfectly capture 2020. dreary.
Interesting! I haven't listened to it in awhile not because I didn't want to but haven't had an opportunity.

I really like Hotspot though. I think it is one of the strongest albums they've done in some considerable time, and that's saying something because Electric and Hotspot are strong too. I also like Elysium but for my money Hotspot covers all the bases where its last 3 predecessors do not. I dont even mind Wedding in Berlin. Maybe not a great choice for an album closer but its suitably daft for me to enjoy.

Whether COVID is a taint on the album remains to be seen for me.

TallThinMan

#20 Post by TallThinMan »

Spittingcat wrote: Tue 15 Sep 2020, 10:10 pm It never felt as if they really cared for or believed in the [hotspot] album, to me… even before it was released they were talking about it being a “transition album” and seemed more interested in the next album. And the planned tour didn’t reference it up front. The next thing isn’t far away… and the album/tour link has been broken already… no need to worry about plans for ‘touring the album’ now… the live stuff won’t focus on the latest/last album when the gigs start up again anyway.
I refuse to accept that they’d ever put an album out that they didn’t care for or believe in.

Spittingcat

#21 Post by Spittingcat »

Fair comment. I worded it badly. I think they were already looking to the next album (so I don't think it's that far away) and they didn't think it would be received by the public in a way they could hang a tour off of it, and their plans for a "greatest hits" tour rather than an album tour means that another album could be released any time, without worrying about how that fits with touring (or not).

tottenhammattspurs

#22 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

It did feel like the whole campaign was a "that's that stage wrapped up". Focus already was on a greatest hits tour. Perhaps the whole "Warner Brothers" thing was well underway and we have indeed seen the last x2 release. That would explain why we haven't had a fifth single or even a standalone one to bridge the gap. Next release maybe a Warner Bros one, with one hell of a campaign behind it to push the Dreamworld tour?
is is and isnt isnt

Debussy

#23 Post by Debussy »

I suspect you may be right. Although I'm hopeful for a surprise release.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

rashomon

#24 Post by rashomon »

The Hotspot campaign may well be over ... but the landing page on the official PSB website is as it was back in January promoting the new album!
you could say conventional ... and I could claim intentional

TallThinMan

#25 Post by TallThinMan »

Five singles is quite a lot for one album. Particularly for a group that doesn’t have hits any more. I get the impression they’ve decided to take a year out in response to the Coronavirus, rather than adapt as some artists have. For example, Marc Almond has performed four online concerts and has just launched an online “magazine show” with performances, interviews, features etc.

What do I know though? Hopefully they’re in the middle of some intense songwriting.

eastendboy

#26 Post by eastendboy »

I think around Christmas time they will release another lock down version, maybe always on my mind. A lovely surprise would be a lockdown ep. Guess in the new year some local radio for venues that haven’t sold out and then the tour. I would hope that they would have written lots of new songs and have the time to revisit unreleased songs to see if they are worth working on. I maybe wrong.

jasonjohn

#27 Post by jasonjohn »

I reckon a little EP similar to Agenda would be cool. But that sort of thing is what you squeeze in between a busy schedule.

But ultimately I reckon they'd be thinking about the next album.... they've got the time!

hotspotnot

#28 Post by hotspotnot »

glennjridge wrote: Wed 16 Sep 2020, 7:19 am I hate to think this way but I cant even really listen to Hotspot anymore. its just too fused with the event. even the cover which I used to love I dislike now because it just seems to perfectly capture 2020. dreary.
Feel exactly the same. I listened the hell out of the album back in Feb/March, but listening to it now just leaves me a bit cold. It's an awkward listen - reminding me of different times, different hopes for 2020 :(

I find it bizarre that people expected more from this campaign though. It started in September last year and ran to the release of "I don't wanna". Then the plan was for a tour in Europe and a tour in North America. Seems pretty normal. Why on earth would they release a fifth single to diminishing returns?

I hope there's something new on the horizon like another unexpected EP - a bit like their attempt to release an EP with a political/social commentary stance with Agenda. As many have said, the lockdown version of "West End girls" was brilliant and I'd love to get a studio recording of this.
Working the wheel. One eye alert and one asleep.

Clasicode

#29 Post by Clasicode »

They definitely shouldn't retire. How about an album called 'Metrichem' about the metrics of chemistry in photography.... good final albums.

geowayne

Re: What do you PSB are going to do this year?

#30 Post by geowayne »

Marie loves PSB wrote: Wed 08 Jul 2020, 9:16 am A single of some sort would be good. An album made through lockdown would be even better! :D Even more better would be a mini concert on Youtube.
I would love a Disco 5 album consisting of remixes of Price trilogy tracks, but not necessarily remixed by Price and not necessarily the singles. Perhaps a single from the album could be "Burn" (has enough time passed since the Ghost Ship Warehouse fire to make it acceptable again?) or, better yet, a brand new, previously unreleased song also produced by Price. And maybe a more "formal" recording of their Lockdown Version of "West End Girls" could be included, too.