Death of Ennio Morricone

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Ghost within this house

Re: Death of Ennio Morricone

#16 Post by Ghost within this house »

An opportune moment to say that, film or no film, It Couldn't Happen Here is an all-time classic that will never leave my PSB top-10, and in no small part down to Morricone's arrangement.
Firing verbal shots.......like a Tommy Gun

D.J.

#17 Post by D.J. »

Ghost within this house wrote:
Tue 07 Jul 2020, 12:07 am
An opportune moment to say that, film or no film, It Couldn't Happen Here is an all-time classic that will never leave my PSB top-10, and in no small part down to Morricone's arrangement.
Same here! Probably in my top 5 PSB songs ever and features one of my favorite moments in music in general. That build up that starts around 3:20 and crescendoes at around 3:42 is just unbelievable, otherworldly! I literally get goosebumps every time. 8)

rashomon

#18 Post by rashomon »

Hmm ... all the love here makes me thinks I need to give this a dedicated listen today. It's been a while since I've played this one.
you could say conventional ... and I could claim intentional

Greendrake

#19 Post by Greendrake »

From the Reissues booklet:
Neil wrote: We’d written this song ‘Jealousy’ – one of the first songs we wrote, which would eventually be recorded for Behaviour – and we wanted Ennio Morricone to do the string arrangement. So Tom Watkins tracked down Ennio Morricone’s manager and he came to Sarm West and we played him ‘Jealousy’ and he liked it, but months passed and in the end Ennio Morricone didn’t want to arrange ‘Jealousy’ but he said he’d write a song with us. They sent over this song in Italian which sounded like David Bowie in about 1970. It was a funny song about a man building an ark. We liked the tune of the chorus, so we took the tune of the chorus and wrote a new verse, and that was what became ‘It couldn’t happen here’. We sent it to Ennio Morricone and heard nothing.

Gabby

#20 Post by Gabby »

Greendrake wrote:
Tue 07 Jul 2020, 11:01 am
From the Reissues booklet:
Neil wrote: We’d written this song ‘Jealousy’ – one of the first songs we wrote, which would eventually be recorded for Behaviour – and we wanted Ennio Morricone to do the string arrangement. So Tom Watkins tracked down Ennio Morricone’s manager and he came to Sarm West and we played him ‘Jealousy’ and he liked it, but months passed and in the end Ennio Morricone didn’t want to arrange ‘Jealousy’ but he said he’d write a song with us. They sent over this song in Italian which sounded like David Bowie in about 1970. It was a funny song about a man building an ark. We liked the tune of the chorus, so we took the tune of the chorus and wrote a new verse, and that was what became ‘It couldn’t happen here’. We sent it to Ennio Morricone and heard nothing.
Perfect! Thanks.

A bit surprised the Boys didn't acknowledge his passing on their website. Even Bernard Sumner managed to muster some love for him publicly yesterday on Facebook.

Greendrake

#21 Post by Greendrake »

Gabby wrote:
Tue 07 Jul 2020, 1:26 pm
A bit surprised the Boys didn't acknowledge his passing on their website.
Yeah I was wondering if they would say something. Perhaps they didn't have much to say as they never managed to meet him in person. There is probably even some minor grievance about how he treated them. At the RAH concert Neil talked about him twice — before Jealousy and before It couldn't happen here, and on this second occasion he cited EM's agent "Maestro Morricone said you can do what you like with it" with such a poignancy and pathos.

Gabby

#22 Post by Gabby »

Greendrake wrote:
Tue 07 Jul 2020, 2:03 pm
Gabby wrote:
Tue 07 Jul 2020, 1:26 pm
A bit surprised the Boys didn't acknowledge his passing on their website.
Yeah I was wondering if they would say something. Perhaps they didn't have much to say as they never managed to meet him in person. There is probably even some minor grievance about how he treated them. At the RAH concert Neil talked about him twice — before Jealousy and before It couldn't happen here, and on this second occasion he cited EM's agent "Maestro Morricone said you can do what you like with it" with such a poignancy and pathos.
Well I don't know what you want but I can't give it any more, right now they're peddling a DVD with the song name as the title, it'd be worth acknowledging I'd have thought, but perhaps they think that would look like bad taste advertising...

Patrick Bateman

#23 Post by Patrick Bateman »

Even if PSB didn't acknowledge him, Milan and Juve did.

TallThinMan

#24 Post by TallThinMan »

I don't think he did arrange it though, did he? Reading the rest of this thread it seems his contribution was to write the chorus music and everything else was Neil and Chris and probably Blue Weaver who I believe programmed the Fairlight orchestral arrangement.

TwizzleUK

#25 Post by TwizzleUK »

TallThinMan wrote:
Wed 08 Jul 2020, 11:40 am
I don't think he did arrange it though, did he? Reading the rest of this thread it seems his contribution was to write the chorus music and everything else was Neil and Chris and probably Blue Weaver who I believe programmed the Fairlight orchestral arrangement.
I recall that Angelo Badalamenti (later of Twin Peaks fame) scored/wrote the arrangement from Ennio + PSB's source music. It was intended for an orchestra to perform, but they didn't have either time or money to use one, so Blue Weaver programmed Badalamenti's score on a Fairlight instead.

Nickname

#26 Post by Nickname »

So Ennio Morricone is co-creator of New Order - Blue Monday, then :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyLJq-VbTIk

Oznerol

#27 Post by Oznerol »

scousepsbfan wrote:
Mon 06 Jul 2020, 10:10 am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aTSWfesg1w

The song that became ICHH. RIP Ennio Morricone x
Amazing! What an "inspiration" isn´t it??
This is not my signature.

BGeller

#28 Post by BGeller »

Oh, he and his talent will be missed. Fortunately, his extraordinary music will stay with us forever. I was hoping to attend the concert of his greatest works, that he would lead himself, just like I did with Hans Zimmer. That's not gonna happen, although I expect many tribute concerts in the future when the COVID situation is settled. I won't miss it, love his heritage too much.
Listening all the time - in my SEO company, in the car, in a bath... "Was it wooorth it?" :)

glennjridge

#29 Post by glennjridge »

Whoa...I had no idea about the back story to "it couldnt happen here" and Morricone. anyways thanks for the info never heard this! Morricone was a genius. I particularly love the soundtrack to lolita
Last edited by glennjridge on Sun 19 Jul 2020, 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Greendrake

#30 Post by Greendrake »

glennjridge wrote:
Sun 19 Jul 2020, 4:36 am
that was not cool not giving him at least a writing credit
????
ichh-credits.jpg
ichh-credits.jpg (114.28 KiB) Viewed 585 times
I'm pretty sure Morricone's estate has been receiving its royalties.