IT COULDN’T HAPPEN HERE BLU-RAY SCORE A SEMITONE LOWER

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Greendrake

Re: IT COULDN’T HAPPEN HERE BLU-RAY SCORE A SEMITONE LOWER

#16 Post by Greendrake »

NotInvisible wrote:
Wed 05 Aug 2020, 2:01 pm
Most UK music videos from the era were shot 24fps because of that.
Do you have a citation for that?
It is true that music videos were made to sell music and hence home video was a negligible consideration.
But I pretty much doubt that PMI, a UK promo company would mostly target US market (and therefore choose their technical standards).
NotInvisible wrote:
Wed 05 Aug 2020, 2:01 pm
Because the target probably wasn't PAL TV and it certainly wasn't PAL VHS
How did they deliver videos to TV? Wasn't it VHS?

NotInvisible

#17 Post by NotInvisible »

Greendrake wrote:
Wed 05 Aug 2020, 2:49 pm
lol
But I pretty much doubt that PMI, a UK promo company would mostly target US market (and therefore choose their technical standards).
A lot of UK film media of the time was made with export in mind - especially considering the size of the US market. The primary broadcast target for giants like Elton John etc was American MTV, because that's where the real money was. Promo companies were hired to make a product to spec; it wasn't random based on where the promo company happened to set up shop. But you seem to think we're having some kind of debate here; I asked a question because I don't know the answer. Were the vintage PSB videos shot at 24fps or 25fps?
How did they deliver videos to TV? Wasn't it VHS?
VHS was a sub-SD format. Broadcast content would have been delivered as U-matic tapes.

Greendrake

#18 Post by Greendrake »

NotInvisible wrote:
Wed 05 Aug 2020, 3:10 pm
Greendrake wrote:
Wed 05 Aug 2020, 2:49 pm
lol
Well you have to provide something to sound convincing. Laughter does not.
NotInvisible wrote:
Wed 05 Aug 2020, 3:10 pm
I asked a question because I don't know the answer. Were the vintage PSB videos shot at 24fps or 25fps?
Like I said, we don't know it directly. Only by inference. But in case of ICHH (and Heart too as it was shot as part of ICHH) there is strong evidence in favour of 25 fps: the PAL versions (both the original releases and the BFI DVD) run at the right speed which is easily verified by comparing the audio with the album tracks. Then, the frames in the BFI release (both DVD and Blu-ray) look to be just film scans (as opposed to having been interpolated to change fps). Therefore, if the 25 fps version runs at the right speed it means the film must have been shot at 25 fps.

NotInvisible

#19 Post by NotInvisible »

Greendrake wrote:
Wed 05 Aug 2020, 3:35 pm
Well you have to provide something to sound convincing.
I don't have to do anything. Nor am I trying to convince you of anything. I know how the industry operated in the '80s. Whether or not you believe me changes nothing.
Like I said, we don't know
Fair enough.

psbfannyc

#20 Post by psbfannyc »

"Do you have a citation for that?"...wow

Oznerol

#21 Post by Oznerol »

I can consider myself an 80-90s music-video collector... I was obsesssed with them for many years (a little more relaxed now) and very selective about the quality. I´m pretty sure that "most" of the UK music videos were produced with 25fps in mind as final result, and US videos on 30. I always compared carefully the quality of NTSC vs PAL copies of the same videos when I got both..and always got the more "clean" versions under that premise. To get clean still frames, opposed to blurred stuff because of the interpolation of the frane-rate-conversion.
Sometimes we got different videos of the same sonrg... and one of them is called "US version"...of course on that cases is very possible that 30fps were the intended result...but they´re exceptions.
Always talking when we can get videos from a supposed "master" source. Otherwise, and many times, we get videos with lost masters, that were converted to 25 to 30, and then re-converted from 30 to 25..and then they already look awfull on any frame-rate.
This is not my signature.