Next single? (Will there be one?)

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
DJAMIX

Next single? (Will there be one?)

#1 Post by DJAMIX »

I think it should be wedding in Berlim.

What about you guys?
One can't find the way to peace. Peace is the way itself. (Gandhi)

retrofuturist

Re: Next single? (Will there be one?)

#2 Post by retrofuturist »

There won't be another from Hotspot, but if there is, it should be what the 4th single should have been... Will O' The Wisp.
Last edited by retrofuturist on Wed 24 Jun 2020, 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

verbow79

#3 Post by verbow79 »

The iron is still hot from West End Girls being named #1 UK song ever, my vote is for a new surprise album!

Hotspot was definitely a bit of a letdown for me, but it's only my opinion so doesn't really matter. But the songwriting and arrangements were a bit on the meh side. The Stuart Price era felt like it never truly lived up to it's full potential.

sterlinglush

#4 Post by sterlinglush »

Neil may have said there wouldn't be more singles from Hotspot, but it would be great if the attention "West End Girls" is getting were to change his mind. I also think it should be "Will-o'-the-wisp" as "Happy people" might be a bit too on-the-nose right now.
Please do not ignore the protests in the middle of Hong Kong.

G_Goalden

#5 Post by G_Goalden »

I know its been said lots but there really hasn't been a better time for either Disco 5 or more excitedly Introspective 2. Six mixes (3 new Hotspot mixes, 2 classic songs with new arrangements (presumably already done for the tour) and a 7 minute new song which could be the single.

I think a second Introspective would have a higher perceived value plus a nice 'homage' sleeve based on one of Ian Davenport's Poured Paintings https://www.iandavenportstudio.com/artw ... es/7/9620/ would be great.

Throw in a three vinyl limited edition with cover print and its happy days.

G.
Birmingham 1989 | Blackpool & Birmingham 1991| Savoy 1997 | Sheffield 1999 | Middlesbrough 2002 | Manchester 2006/9 | Manchester 2013 | ROH 2016 | RAH 2017

canveyboy

#6 Post by canveyboy »

G_Goalden wrote:I know its been said lots but there really hasn't been a better time for either Disco 5 or more excitedly Introspective 2. Six mixes (3 new Hotspot mixes, 2 classic songs with new arrangements (presumably already done for the tour) and a 7 minute new song which could be the single.

I think a second Introspective would have a higher perceived value plus a nice 'homage' sleeve based on one of Ian Davenport's Poured Paintings https://www.iandavenportstudio.com/artw ... es/7/9620/ would be great.

Throw in a three vinyl limited edition with cover print and its happy days.

G.
Definitely up for Introspective 2 - but it has to be 6 new songs! All in extended dance form, big productions etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Its taken me all of my life to find you

matt74uk

#7 Post by matt74uk »

Disco 5 would be most welcome. Since the Price trilogy was already pretty "Strobes and Banging", maybe we'll have to have a more Release or Elysium style album before going full on again and getting Disco 5?

onzio

#8 Post by onzio »

canveyboy wrote:
Wed 24 Jun 2020, 11:54 am
Definitely up for Introspective 2 - but it has to be 6 new songs! All in extended dance form, big productions etc
Introspective was everything but 6 new songs: only Devices and Domino Dancing were new.
We had1 cover and 3 already released songs in different ways.
What you want is a brand new full album, that would be great!
I agree that Introspective sometimes looks like Actually's Disco.

:D
Expressing passion, explaining pain
This is my kind of music

Disco.

#9 Post by Disco. »

onzio wrote:
Thu 25 Jun 2020, 2:33 pm
canveyboy wrote:
Introspective was everything but 6 new songs: only Devices and Domino Dancing were new.

You most be joking !

onzio

#10 Post by onzio »

Disco. wrote:
Thu 25 Jun 2020, 3:02 pm
onzio wrote:
Thu 25 Jun 2020, 2:33 pm
canveyboy wrote:

You most be joking !
No I'm serious, but then again Introspective is in the top 3 of my faves.
I was comparing formats, not quality. :D
This is my kind of music

Disco.

#11 Post by Disco. »

I see Introspective as a stand-alone fantastic album, with close to 5 million sales , their best selling album, and not some outcast from Actually, as much as I love that album, and I know Neil and Chris feel the same, because they have said so. But each to their own.

leesmapman

#12 Post by leesmapman »

onzio wrote:
Thu 25 Jun 2020, 3:18 pm
No I'm serious, but then again Introspective is in the top 3 of my faves.
I was comparing formats, not quality. :D
I agree with you. That was my first association too.

onzio

#13 Post by onzio »

Disco. wrote:
Thu 25 Jun 2020, 3:43 pm
I see Introspective as a stand-alone fantastic album, with close to 5 million sales , their best selling album, and not some outcast from Actually, as much as I love that album, and I know Neil and Chris feel the same, because they have said so. But each to their own.
You are right: It was released as a standalone album, it is one of their best albums, probably is the best produced one.
No one here is questioning about Intro being an album or not.
I was only saying that it was a strange and fascinating album, since there was not so much new music in it, Always on my Mind is considered part of Actually era, and the format of the songs is more usual for a remix album.
So I come to my "sometimes looks like" sentence: since Please was followed by Disco, a six long remix tracks album, this could wrongly suggets to somebody that following Actually, Introspective is a sort of six long remix album with bonus of new material.
In a Disco3 kind of way.
I tend to think to Introspective as the result of a very busy period of promotion with pressure on hi level due to commercial success at their top. They were not going on tour and people were very demanding on them. They had several years to work on their songs before signing with EMI. Most of Please and Actually was already written or demoed. They had so many songs that they ended up on Behaviour, Very and also as a B.side of their last single.
After Introspective they started from scratch with Liza, Dusty, Electronic and Behaviour. Probably a delay of one year could let them complete a standard 10 tracks album, but here we come to my conclusion:
Introspective is Introspective: a masterpiece as it is. And I love all the six long tracks so airy and fully produced.
Oh and Powerful too.

Sorry for being long.
This is my kind of music