Any crazy hanging out stories with Neil/Chris?

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Disco.

Re: Any crazy hanging out stories with Neil/Chris?

#16 Post by Disco. »

raggatwin wrote:
Tue 23 Jun 2020, 8:04 pm
Chris drinks Super Skol? LOL. Didn't Neil say that Chris used to hate people that drank?
No, he used to say that he hated people that smoked.

verbow79

#17 Post by verbow79 »

I don't remember Chris drinking when I met him, and think that Neil had a glass of wine or something.

And I definitely didn't talk music with them, as I figured it would beat them down so kept it to casual small talk.

It was definitely a fortunate time to be able to hang out with them, as I don't think it would be as easy to hang out that personally with them now vs when I met them in very late 1999.

glennjridge

#18 Post by glennjridge »

tottenhammattspurs wrote:
Tue 23 Jun 2020, 11:31 am
spooky wrote:
Mon 22 Jun 2020, 11:03 am
glennjridge wrote:
Mon 22 Jun 2020, 6:40 am
I have heard some entertainers will be really engaging with someone if the person makes no mention of their fandom and just chats them up whereas sometimes people who make it known they are huge fans will kinda grate on their nerves.
i can vouch for this. i have met many musicians, celebrities, and never had a bad experience. just remember, people usually approach them by starting to talk about what their best known for. which is essentially their work/job, and not everyone loves their job. however being in that business, is maybe the only thing they’re really good at. at least good enough to make a living from it. so really dealing with fans all the time, is just another part of the job. however they choose to deal with it, is up to them.
Having done years of background and stand-in work, I can agree with this. I’ve had a 30 minute chat with Jeff Bridges on set about Big Brother in the mid 00s, chatted to Kirsten Dunst about clubs in London, talked with Megan Fox about London tourist spots and argued about Spurs’ back four with Steven Mangan.
You met Jeff Bridges? i'm a huge fan, I loved his movie 'Crazy Heart" so much I bought it. he's a really good singer, and the music for that movie was excellent. he seems like a nice regular guy, Ive never met him but glad to hear you had a nice convo! and Megan Fox? WHOA

Young Offender

#19 Post by Young Offender »

Here a few of my brief encounters before and after concerts, some great memories I am fond of and cant believe its been almost 21 years since the first time during the Nightlife tour:

Nightlife Tour 1999 - After being a huge fan since the 80s and always wanting to meet them they finally where coming to Southern California, so i couldnt give up the chance to catch several shows back to back, I'm from Los Angeles and drove up to San Diego for the Friday night show (3 hour drive), outside the venue before the show I saw Chris, Neil and Dainton come out from the backstage area I guess they had just done the soundcheck, there was a few fans outside and the crowd lining up to the venue entrance, they happily signed and took pictures, I got a few things signed, Neil and Dainton took a carriage ride through the downtown area, After the show also got to see and meet them, I spent the night and returned to Los Angeles the next day and saw the Saturday night show in Irvine, CA, I was in the pit area and when Neal threw his guitar pick I caught it or rather picked it off the floor after i missed it in the air, saw the band and tour bus on the freeway on the way home i think they were staying in hollywood somewhere.

The next morning I flew to Las Vegas to see the show at the Hard Rock Hotel, I met Redman (the old PSB website webmaster) handing out the Nightlife Tour CD roms, It was Saturday night October 31st Halloween so a big party night in Vegas and after the show they and the band and some of the crew members went to the basement club at the hardrock hotel called Babies, I was wearing the PSB blue sweatshirt I had purchased in San Diego and with the PSB logo on it the person checking for tickets noticed the logo and waved me in thinking i was with the band, inside the club I saw Chris, Neal and Dainton hanging out drinking but i did not approach them, they seemed just relaxed chilling, The next morning i waited outside and got to speak to them as they boarded the tour bus to los angeles, they recognized me from the San Diego and I asked them for Back Stage passes for the Monday night show in Los Angeles, told them my girlfriend didnt travel with me because she was 9 months pregnant and was very jealous i got to meet them, Neal said Dainton would set it up and he did, got the passes at the ticket booth in L.A. and after the show me and my girlfriend got to the meet them in the meet and greet area where we chatted with both Neal and Chris for what seemed like 30 plus minutes or so, Neal was drinking wine (actually the few times ive gotten backstage after their shows Neal was always drinking red wine, must sooth his throat), we had told them we were naming the baby Chrisneal, they both had a kick about that, Chris Heath was standing next to them jotting down notes and after a couple of months they mentioned us in the next Literally issue about the couple they met backstage in L.A. that was going to name their Baby Chrisneal.

The next night they had a record signing event at Tower Records Hollywood and I went to that event and thanked them for the passes and got them a couple of gifts Godiva chocolates and some Teas I think.

Release Tour - Went to the San Diego show, standing by the backstage door before the show a friend was there that i had previously met at PSB shows, as we were waiting a white van pulled up and it was Chris and Neal and some of the band, they happily signed some things for us, after the show me and the friend waited by the same door but it was packed with people I think Neal signed a couple of things and they left in the white van since it was a little bit of a mob scene and there was no way they would sign everything for everyone, my friend was parked across the street and told me to come with him and we will follow the van in his car to their hotel, which we did, we almost lost them but we found them, they were actually staying at the same hotel from the Nightlife Tour venue next door, we went to the bar which was empty i think it was a weeknight and could see both the boys and the band having drinks then a meal at the patio outside the bar, me and my friend sat at the bar and had a drink while we planned our next move to meet them, my friend came up with an idea to send them a bottle of champagne, so we had the bartender take them the bottle, after a while Dawn the percussionist stopped by on her way to the bathroom, then Chris did the same we got to chat with him for a bit, then after a while Neal came by as well as the rest of the band, so they all stopped by the bar where we were seated and chatted with us there as they had to walk by us on the way out of the bar, they were all really polite and friendly and thanked us for the bottle of champagne.

The next day I flew to Vegas to see them again at the Hard Rock Hotel, After the show I stood outside the venue by the backstage area and saw Neal sign a couple of things for some fans while Chris waited in the Limo apparently they were rushing to catch the "O" show at Bellagio, the next day went back to Los Angeles for the show that night and managed to get backstage again and meet them for a brief chat and some autographs, it was a little bit busy as backstage with lots of music Industry type of people so not really an opportunity to have a long chat.

Fundamental Tour - Wiltern Theater Los Angeles - 1st night Before the concert Neal and Chris and band had performed on the Dancing with the stars show, after the show i waited by the backstage exit area and there was a good size crowd they both signed stuff for everyone and I think this was one of the first tours where they kept saying no pictures, but they managed to sign a couple of things for me, The second night they had a record signing at a Virgin Record store on sunset so got there and was able to get a few things signed and a brief chat, then After the concert Me and my friend from the Release Tour were talking to some professional video guys that were filming the show, we asked them why they were filming it, they said they were going to Film the next show in Mexico City in a couple of days and were just filming this nights show so the director could get an idea of how the concert is and where to set up cameras for certain angles, it was for a future dvd release, as we were chatting one of the film guys took his backstage pass off and was about to throw it away and i asked him for it, he gave it to me and then the other guy was doing the same and he gave his to my friend, so we both got backstage to a lounge area where there was a small crowd having drinks and snacks but no sign of Neal or Chris, we saw Pete Gleadle and starting chatting with him he had remembered us from some other concert we had met him, after a bit Pete offered to take us to where Neal and Chris were, they were actually by the stage where the crew was breaking down the set up, Neal with a glass of red wine in hand, Chris told us they were hanging out with the crew as it was the last night for some of them since they were not going with them to Mexico City so they wanted to hangout with them, we chatted for maybe 30 minutes or so and then said our goodbyes.

y3potential

#20 Post by y3potential »

Young Offender wrote:
Wed 24 Jun 2020, 7:01 am
Here a few of my brief encounters before and after concerts, some great memories I am fond of and cant believe its been almost 21 years since the first time during the Nightlife tour:

Nightlife Tour 1999 - After being a huge fan since the 80s and always wanting to meet them they finally where coming to Southern California, so i couldnt give up the chance to catch several shows back to back, I'm from Los Angeles and drove up to San Diego for the Friday night show (3 hour drive), outside the venue before the show I saw Chris, Neil and Dainton come out from the backstage area I guess they had just done the soundcheck, there was a few fans outside and the crowd lining up to the venue entrance, they happily signed and took pictures, I got a few things signed, Neil and Dainton took a carriage ride through the downtown area, After the show also got to see and meet them, I spent the night and returned to Los Angeles the next day and saw the Saturday night show in Irvine, CA, I was in the pit area and when Neal threw his guitar pick I caught it or rather picked it off the floor after i missed it in the air, saw the band and tour bus on the freeway on the way home i think they were staying in hollywood somewhere.

The next morning I flew to Las Vegas to see the show at the Hard Rock Hotel, I met Redman (the old PSB website webmaster) handing out the Nightlife Tour CD roms, It was Saturday night October 31st Halloween so a big party night in Vegas and after the show they and the band and some of the crew members went to the basement club at the hardrock hotel called Babies, I was wearing the PSB blue sweatshirt I had purchased in San Diego and with the PSB logo on it the person checking for tickets noticed the logo and waved me in thinking i was with the band, inside the club I saw Chris, Neal and Dainton hanging out drinking but i did not approach them, they seemed just relaxed chilling, The next morning i waited outside and got to speak to them as they boarded the tour bus to los angeles, they recognized me from the San Diego and I asked them for Back Stage passes for the Monday night show in Los Angeles, told them my girlfriend didnt travel with me because she was 9 months pregnant and was very jealous i got to meet them, Neal said Dainton would set it up and he did, got the passes at the ticket booth in L.A. and after the show me and my girlfriend got to the meet them in the meet and greet area where we chatted with both Neal and Chris for what seemed like 30 plus minutes or so, Neal was drinking wine (actually the few times ive gotten backstage after their shows Neal was always drinking red wine, must sooth his throat), we had told them we were naming the baby Chrisneal, they both had a kick about that, Chris Heath was standing next to them jotting down notes and after a couple of months they mentioned us in the next Literally issue about the couple they met backstage in L.A. that was going to name their Baby Chrisneal.

The next night they had a record signing event at Tower Records Hollywood and I went to that event and thanked them for the passes and got them a couple of gifts Godiva chocolates and some Teas I think.

Release Tour - Went to the San Diego show, standing by the backstage door before the show a friend was there that i had previously met at PSB shows, as we were waiting a white van pulled up and it was Chris and Neal and some of the band, they happily signed some things for us, after the show me and the friend waited by the same door but it was packed with people I think Neal signed a couple of things and they left in the white van since it was a little bit of a mob scene and there was no way they would sign everything for everyone, my friend was parked across the street and told me to come with him and we will follow the van in his car to their hotel, which we did, we almost lost them but we found them, they were actually staying at the same hotel from the Nightlife Tour venue next door, we went to the bar which was empty i think it was a weeknight and could see both the boys and the band having drinks then a meal at the patio outside the bar, me and my friend sat at the bar and had a drink while we planned our next move to meet them, my friend came up with an idea to send them a bottle of champagne, so we had the bartender take them the bottle, after a while Dawn the percussionist stopped by on her way to the bathroom, then Chris did the same we got to chat with him for a bit, then after a while Neal came by as well as the rest of the band, so they all stopped by the bar where we were seated and chatted with us there as they had to walk by us on the way out of the bar, they were all really polite and friendly and thanked us for the bottle of champagne.

The next day I flew to Vegas to see them again at the Hard Rock Hotel, After the show I stood outside the venue by the backstage area and saw Neal sign a couple of things for some fans while Chris waited in the Limo apparently they were rushing to catch the "O" show at Bellagio, the next day went back to Los Angeles for the show that night and managed to get backstage again and meet them for a brief chat and some autographs, it was a little bit busy as backstage with lots of music Industry type of people so not really an opportunity to have a long chat.

Fundamental Tour - Wiltern Theater Los Angeles - 1st night Before the concert Neal and Chris and band had performed on the Dancing with the stars show, after the show i waited by the backstage exit area and there was a good size crowd they both signed stuff for everyone and I think this was one of the first tours where they kept saying no pictures, but they managed to sign a couple of things for me, The second night they had a record signing at a Virgin Record store on sunset so got there and was able to get a few things signed and a brief chat, then After the concert Me and my friend from the Release Tour were talking to some professional video guys that were filming the show, we asked them why they were filming it, they said they were going to Film the next show in Mexico City in a couple of days and were just filming this nights show so the director could get an idea of how the concert is and where to set up cameras for certain angles, it was for a future dvd release, as we were chatting one of the film guys took his backstage pass off and was about to throw it away and i asked him for it, he gave it to me and then the other guy was doing the same and he gave his to my friend, so we both got backstage to a lounge area where there was a small crowd having drinks and snacks but no sign of Neal or Chris, we saw Pete Gleadle and starting chatting with him he had remembered us from some other concert we had met him, after a bit Pete offered to take us to where Neal and Chris were, they were actually by the stage where the crew was breaking down the set up, Neal with a glass of red wine in hand, Chris told us they were hanging out with the crew as it was the last night for some of them since they were not going with them to Mexico City so they wanted to hangout with them, we chatted for maybe 30 minutes or so and then said our goodbyes.

Wow. Some great moments and memories there for you. Thanks for sharing them.
There is beauty in ugliness and ugliness in beauty.

jamie1978

#21 Post by jamie1978 »

I bumped into both of them in the Ghetto a few times, when it was the epicentre of the London electroclash scene in the early noughties.

Both times they were completely wasted. Neil could barely speak! I got him a glass of water from the bar. A friend of theirs offered me some ecstasy pills, from a significant bag of them he was carrying around - which I politely declined. One night I recall them both hitting the dancefloor for a few hours. Was a good night.

I also spoke to Neil at length at Trash Palace (a bar) in around 2007. But that was absolutely awful - I was completely wasted and I still cringe to this day about how I spoke at length to him while barely able to string a sentence together. Not my finest hour. Neil was very polite though. I'd have told me to f*** off.

onzio

#22 Post by onzio »

raggatwin wrote:
Tue 23 Jun 2020, 8:04 pm
Chris drinks Super Skol? LOL. Didn't Neil say that Chris used to hate people that drank?
..that smokes.
Expressing passion, explaining pain
This is my kind of music

jasminewok13

#23 Post by jasminewok13 »

i think people imagine just because they are famous they can be insulting and rude to ordinary people. harks back to the class system.

Sent from my 5033X using Tapatalk

Dog

#24 Post by Dog »

jasminewok13 wrote:i think people imagine just because they are famous they can be insulting and rude to ordinary people. harks back to the class system.

Sent from my 5033X using Tapatalk
i think people imagine just because they are ordinary that can be insulting and rude to famous people. Works both ways in these days of social media.
Woof.

y3potential

#25 Post by y3potential »

I was fortunate to meet and chat with Chris after the first performance at the Savoy in 1997 (at the stage door afterwards) I was utterly star struck but I had enough presence to talk about football and Arsenal mainly and keep the chat away from music and fandom.. In return he was totally charming and polite, signing everything I put under his nose.. I also recall that my girlfriend at the time was from Washington (just outside Newcastle) and Neil recognised her accent and asked "where are you from..?" To which I replied "Yes, where are you from.." Which got a laugh out of him and Chris.. In those days, they were more open, before social media...
There is beauty in ugliness and ugliness in beauty.

Young Offender

#26 Post by Young Offender »

Agent Doris has probably some great stories since he has been at many invite only events

Behavi0ur

#27 Post by Behavi0ur »

y3potential wrote:
Sat 27 Jun 2020, 1:14 am
In those days, they were more open, before social media...
Social media, and all the stuff (bad side) that comes with it... Too much exposure, little privacy, and the opportunity for people to be rude and disrespectful - sometimes hidden behind irony and sufficience. Reminds me of the 'social media 'song. I loved it when I first heard it !
Now I sit with different faces
in rented rooms and foreign places
All the people I was kissing
some are here and some are missing

Dog

#28 Post by Dog »

y3potential wrote:I was fortunate to meet and chat with Chris after the first performance at the Savoy in 1997 (at the stage door afterwards) I was utterly star struck but I had enough presence to talk about football and Arsenal mainly and keep the chat away from music and fandom.. In return he was totally charming and polite, signing everything I put under his nose.. I also recall that my girlfriend at the time was from Washington (just outside Newcastle) and Neil recognised her accent and asked "where are you from..?" To which I replied "Yes, where are you from.." Which got a laugh out of him and Chris.. In those days, they were more open, before social media...
I met them both on that same night, round the back of the Savoy. Chris particularly was in good spirits.
Woof.