Any crazy hanging out stories with Neil/Chris?

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
verbow79

Any crazy hanging out stories with Neil/Chris?

#1 Post by verbow79 »

Was doing some spring cleaning the other day and ran across an old pic I had with Neil/Chris when they were in Dallas for Nightlight tour in very early 2000's. I was in upper 20's at the time and brought back memories of that crazy night after the show - does anyone else have similar stories of hanging out with the Boys?

After the Nightlife show, I was able to get VIP access backstage to meet and greet Neil and Chris, and during the meet and greet it was mentioned that they would be going to a certain nightclub near downtown. Neil and Chris showed up at the club with their small posse around 30 mins after arriving, and I got to spend about 15 min talking to Chris one-on-one while observing people dancing on the dancefloor. He definitely has a sarcastic sense of humor and bit of a smart ass at times, and overall it was a great bit of conversation. But then it got pretty wild as there was a smaller bar upstairs with a drag show, and the party moved up there. Can't remember how I even got admitted or talked my way in, but there I was standing next to Neil and Chris at a drag show. The DJ recognized them when they arrived and gave them a huge shout out on the speakers. Definitely a surreal situation as I'm straight and only drag show in my entire life. I remember they didn't really drink much (and Chris possibly not at all), but lots of hooting and hollering and situation bordering on chaos at times. The Boys left for their hotel after spending about 90 mins there.

So yeah...definitely not how I expected my night to turn out but it was a blast and they are a lot of fun to hang out with. I'm guessing they have slowed down a bit since then, but a memory I'll always value as I got to personally experience their great personalities outside of the stage! :clap:

Gabby

Re: Any crazy hanging out stories with Neil/Chris?

#2 Post by Gabby »

No crazy hanging out stories sadly, but they have been super nice every time I've met them. I was so stoked when they posted Neil's photo he took of my daughter as a Pet Text from the Super tour meet and greet.

After the Electric tour meet and greet they never took my wife up on her invitation to come have a cup of tea the next time they're in SW Ontario too. Offer's still open guys....bring New Order as well - we'll have a BBQ! :lol:

spooky

#3 Post by spooky »

verbow79 wrote:
Fri 19 Jun 2020, 8:19 pm
Neil and Chris showed up at the club with their small posse around 30 mins after arriving, and I got to spend about 15 min talking to Chris one-on-one while observing people dancing on the dancefloor. He definitely has a sarcastic sense of humor and bit of a smart ass at times, and overall it was a great bit of conversation.
i always like hearing Chris stories, because i rarely hear or read about them. was there ever a time where you debated going up to him, and chatting? what did you guys chat about? can you give us examples about how he was sarcastic and/or smart ass about things? i've never heard a bad experience with the PSB's, but i've heard about bad experiences with other musicians/celebrities. this is why i ask, if you were hesitant at first to approach him.

daveid

#4 Post by daveid »

Gabby wrote:
Fri 19 Jun 2020, 8:36 pm
No crazy hanging out stories sadly, but they have been super nice every time I've met them. I was so stoked when they posted Neil's photo he took of my daughter as a Pet Text from the Super tour meet and greet.

After the Electric tour meet and greet they never took my wife up on her invitation to come have a cup of tea the next time they're in SW Ontario too. Offer's still open guys....bring New Order as well - we'll have a BBQ! :lol:
The Unity BBQ

dbaseboy

#5 Post by dbaseboy »

@spooky I was once told by Chris to “F*ck off”. His mate was trying to introduce me but he thought I was someone else. All good as have seen him since then (was back 1997). But will never forget those eyes aka the infamous Chris Lowe stare.

daveid

#6 Post by daveid »

dbaseboy wrote:
Sun 21 Jun 2020, 10:29 am
@spooky I was once told by Chris to “F*ck off”. His mate was trying to introduce me but he thought I was someone else. All good as have seen him since then (was back 1997). But will never forget those eyes aka the infamous Chris Lowe stare.
That's just rude telling someone to f*** off. He should have asked you.

Greendrake

#7 Post by Greendrake »

daveid wrote:
Sun 21 Jun 2020, 3:14 pm
Like "Would you be so kind to f*** off please?"

dbaseboy

#8 Post by dbaseboy »

Was a bit taken aback at the time but I know wasn’t personal, if that makes sense? He’d had enough of being pestered so my and his mate’s timing wasn’t great. It’s funny now and have spoken to him since, though never mentioned this episode (think he’d be genuinely mortified). As said, it was his eyes/ the famous scowl.

daveid

#9 Post by daveid »

Greendrake wrote:
Sun 21 Jun 2020, 3:28 pm
daveid wrote:
Sun 21 Jun 2020, 3:14 pm
Like "Would you be so kind to f*** off please?"
Exactly. Politeness goes a long way

glennjridge

#10 Post by glennjridge »

I have heard some entertainers will be really engaging with someone if the person makes no mention of their fandom and just chats them up whereas sometimes people who make it known they are huge fans will kinda grate on their nerves.

mind you I am not saying Neil and Chris are like that, but I imagine on some level possibly some entertainers get to a point where they want simple interactions with people who make no note of who they are,whereas the fan encounters probably happen so much it can be bothersome. but I imagine it would be hard to feign indifference if you bump into them.

spooky

#11 Post by spooky »

glennjridge wrote:
Mon 22 Jun 2020, 6:40 am
I have heard some entertainers will be really engaging with someone if the person makes no mention of their fandom and just chats them up whereas sometimes people who make it known they are huge fans will kinda grate on their nerves.
i can vouch for this. i have met many musicians, celebrities, and never had a bad experience. just remember, people usually approach them by starting to talk about what their best known for. which is essentially their work/job, and not everyone loves their job. however being in that business, is maybe the only thing they’re really good at. at least good enough to make a living from it. so really dealing with fans all the time, is just another part of the job. however they choose to deal with it, is up to them.

Gabby

#12 Post by Gabby »

daveid wrote:
Sun 21 Jun 2020, 9:47 am
Gabby wrote:
Fri 19 Jun 2020, 8:36 pm

The Unity BBQ
Hey, I'm totally down with that. If New Order can bring a few cases of Stray Dog beer that'd be sweet!

tottenhammattspurs

#13 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

spooky wrote:
Mon 22 Jun 2020, 11:03 am
glennjridge wrote:
Mon 22 Jun 2020, 6:40 am
i can vouch for this. i have met many musicians, celebrities, and never had a bad experience. just remember, people usually approach them by starting to talk about what their best known for. which is essentially their work/job, and not everyone loves their job. however being in that business, is maybe the only thing they’re really good at. at least good enough to make a living from it. so really dealing with fans all the time, is just another part of the job. however they choose to deal with it, is up to them.
Having done years of background and stand-in work, I can agree with this. I’ve had a 30 minute chat with Jeff Bridges on set about Big Brother in the mid 00s, chatted to Kirsten Dunst about clubs in London, talked with Megan Fox about London tourist spots and argued about Spurs’ back four with Steven Mangan.
is is and isnt isnt

Paninaro2020

#14 Post by Paninaro2020 »

Bumped into Chris near a nightclub in Birmingham back in '99 we both popped in the local offies to buy a can of skol super (think he bought a twix aswell) and necked it outside the nightclub. I think he said something about Neil being already in the club, cant remember too well since I was well pissed up.
Test The Limits Of Your Inhibition

raggatwin

#15 Post by raggatwin »

Chris drinks Super Skol? LOL. Didn't Neil say that Chris used to hate people that drank?
Hello my name is Neil Tennant and I'm Chris Lowe and we're of the Pet Shop Boys.