Actually vs Introspective, choose the best one

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.

Choose the best one

Actually
51%
Introspective
49%

Total votes: 41

bongsteve

Re: Actually vs Introspective, choose the best one

#16 Post by bongsteve »

Andie wrote:
Wed 17 Jun 2020, 10:51 am
Both albums are great, but Introspective gets my vote every time. My favourite track is still "I want a dog" 8)
I'm Not Scared is my favorite but "I want a dog" is quite good as well and puts the b-side version to shame. Completely different song.

leesmapman

#17 Post by leesmapman »

Actually for me. I liked Please, but Actually was a step up. I liked Introspective, but half of the tracks I already knew (Always on my mind, I want a dog and I'm not scared) so my initial reaction was that it was just... okay. But it grew on me and became one of my favourites due to how the album works. But in the end, I think Actually's better.

Future Lover

#18 Post by Future Lover »

Behaviour is the best one, which immediately invalidates this poll.

Nickname

#19 Post by Nickname »

TallThinMan wrote:
Wed 17 Jun 2020, 9:45 pm
Nickname wrote:
Tue 16 Jun 2020, 6:20 pm
Greendrake wrote:
Tue 16 Jun 2020, 3:25 pm
I disagree that Introspective represents the imperial era. None of the 4 no. 1 singles are from it (Always on my mind was either standalone or attached to Actually anyhow). It simply caught the momentum — came out when PSB were big.

In 1989, PSB was quite Imperial too. Domino Dancing was Number 1 in latin countries, like Spain. It was a very successful song everywhere except UK. I'm not Scard (Patsy Kensit version) was Number 1 in countries like Italy. Always on my Mind was worldwide hit with several Number Ones (but I see what you mean it's attached to Actually), Left to my own Devices and It's Alright were quite succesful too.

At that time, PSB was still at the top.
Domino Dancing came out in 1988, not 1989. I also see from Wikipedia that it was number one in the Latin countries Finland and Poland.
Yes, the year was a mistake of mine. I don't know if it was Number 1 in this countries, I'm happy for that. But it was Number 1 in Spain and some South American markets.

Oznerol

#20 Post by Oznerol »

Future Lover wrote:
Thu 18 Jun 2020, 11:30 am
Behaviour is the best one, which immediately invalidates this poll.
...there is a strange reasoning behind those words ... :shock: :P
This is not my signature.

Marie loves PSB

#21 Post by Marie loves PSB »

Nickname wrote:
Wed 17 Jun 2020, 11:23 am
Marie loves PSB wrote:
Wed 17 Jun 2020, 9:25 am
D.J. wrote:
Wed 17 Jun 2020, 7:04 am
Actually made them my favorite music artist in my childhood. Introspective made sure they are my favorite artist for life.
Same here D.J.! Both excellent albums. :up: My Mum gave me a choice of either buying Michael Jackson's Bad record or PSB's Actually at the time. I went and chose Michael Jackson in the end. :shock: Then a little while after my Mum bought me PSB's Actually and Michael Jackson's Bad got the boot. :lol: Actually was played over and over. It was my first PSB's album and fan for life.

When I first heard Introspective - the wonderful Left to my own devices intro I thought that some one had put the wrong label on the record and it wasn't them! I didn't expect that sort of intro. 8)
What amazing albums!, I don't put the blame of you because you chose Bad. I'd probably do the same. I'm a big fan of MJ. In fact, PSB and MJ were my favourite artists of all time. Bad is amazing and Actually too, both were at the top of the charts being Number 1 and Number 2. It's a pity because PSB could get Number 1 if MJ didn't release his album at that time. Anyway, very good and happy times for the music.
It was in the days that everyone adored Michael Jackson (before all of the bad stuff came along - think it all was a shame). Thriller was an even better album than Bad. (I managed to get that in later life). It was shame Actually didn't make it to number one. I agree with you Nickname - very good and happy times for the music. I loved the 80's. :D
Last edited by Marie loves PSB on Sun 21 Jun 2020, 11:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

Marie loves PSB

#22 Post by Marie loves PSB »

Andie wrote:
Wed 17 Jun 2020, 10:51 am
Both albums are great, but Introspective gets my vote every time. My favourite track is still "I want a dog" 8)
I really like this track too Andie. I think it is sweet! :D