New Guardian article

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.

ZiggyPSB

Re: New Guardian article

#2 Post by ZiggyPSB »

Dreadful comments section.
I'm a proud sycophant because I like Wedding in Berlin
http://www.last.fm/user/FFancy24
Dublin 19/06/2011, Manchester 20/06/2013, Edinburgh 31/12/2013, London 23/07/2014, London 23/07/2016, London 02/04/2017

Gabby

#3 Post by Gabby »

I think it's a really well thought out article and does well to avoid the old tropes of automatically picking Very and West End girls as immediate entry to the PSB ouvre.

Actually is an excellent first choice to start if you have literally zero PSB exposure and then to jump to Behaviour then Electric shows off their great depth to a complete novice.

Then picking Birthday Boy as s deep cut goes to the next level and open up the whole of Release to the new listener.

The rest is gravy.

retrofuturist

#4 Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
Gabby wrote:
Tue 16 Jun 2020, 12:17 am
Then picking Birthday Boy as s deep cut goes to the next level and open up the whole of Release to the new listener.
As a primer, having already done Behaviour, anything from Release (or Elysium for that matter) seemed superfluous to me, and skewed things too much in that direction.

If they wanted "deep cuts" there's a whole catalogue of b-sides, many of which are (IMO) superior to Birthday Boy. Setting the b-sides aside, if Geowayne's polling is anything to go by, I probably would have gone for "The Way It Used To Be", even though I'm not as big a fan of that track as some.

But each to their own, of course... these things are always subjective.

Retro. :)

Gabby

#5 Post by Gabby »

retrofuturist wrote:
Tue 16 Jun 2020, 1:21 am
Greetings,
Gabby wrote:
Tue 16 Jun 2020, 12:17 am
As a primer, having already done Behaviour, anything from Release (or Elysium for that matter) seemed superfluous to me, and skewed things too much in that direction.

If they wanted "deep cuts" there's a whole catalogue of b-sides, many of which are (IMO) superior to Birthday Boy.

But each to their own, of course.

Retro. :)
I think this article is quite deliberate with its picks. PSB have long been lauded for their b-side collections, so like Very it's perhaps too obvious a choice.

This article shows that there's depth that many laypersons don't see in their work. Birthday Boy isnt one I particularly like either, but I think this article is more about capturing the essence of PSB than what's necessarily a superior track from another, which I think it has very much succeeded in doing.

boyjohn

#6 Post by boyjohn »

I love Birthday Boy, it's one of my favorite songs by them. Then again I love Burning the Heather too, it has a similar feel to it.
“Unless you consciously include, you will unconsciously exclude”
-Stephen Frost

daveid

#7 Post by daveid »

I love Birthday boy and thought it was the best track on Release on release (see what I did there?) I remember an interview at the time when they said they were planning three or four singles to be released from the album (fat chance) and I always hoped Birthday boy would be one of them. Of course in hindsight it's too good for a single release and would never work without butchering the song (Hello Numb) It's actually an Oasis song but far better than anything those Mancy mono-browed t**** could come up with.

D.J.

#8 Post by D.J. »

It was pretty fun reading through the comments there:
The trolling response to this comment made me 😂 😂
“Genius? Sheesh. Beethoven was a genius. The Pet Shop Boys? At best I'd say they're an average-to-annoying band.”

“Beethoven had maybe 2 hits. 5th symphony and Ode to Joy. The Pet Shop Boys had loads.”
😁

Gabby

#9 Post by Gabby »

I note there are plenty of positive comments there too which is good and they don't seem to me to be from Petheads but more from your average Grauniad reader. I think PSB have regained some street-cred in the past 12 months or so, and some people who might normally have kept quiet about their enjoyment of PSB are finally "coming out".

I think there are a number of factors that make someone so venomously anti-PSB but where that might have been accepted 20-30 years ago, it nowadays just highlights their ignorance and bigotry.

The songs (irrespective of whether Neil sings or Chris plays) should speak volumes about their talent.