What would you think a future PSB's album should sound like in order to reinvent themselves?

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Nickname

Re: What would you think a future PSB's album should sound like in order to reinvent themselves?

#16 Post by Nickname »

Old Soak wrote:
Fri 12 Jun 2020, 5:53 pm
Most if not all of their albums have been a reinvention - you could hardly get two more different albums in a row than Behaviour and Very. And then Bilingual, a complete left turn. As was Release, the guitar band album. And Fundamental, the political album. It's what they've done all their career, what new strategy is required when it's worked up to now and changes have been rung frequently?

And please don't choose whoever happens to be hot today for 15 minutes as producer - nothing would date an album quicker. It works as a hit and miss singles remix strategy sometimes, certainly not for a whole album. Tried and trusted producers with a pedigree, though doesn't have to be one they've used before.
You are talking about lyrics and topics first, there is another aspect. But I'm talking about music. Of course, PSB have been innovating all these years but with the last album Hotspot, it's not the case. Nothing about this album sounds new.

glennjridge

Re: What would you think a future PSB's album should sound like in order to reinvent themselves?

#18 Post by glennjridge »

Cyberpunk. heavy moody industrial clangy ravey electronica style. like Positive role model....or more of Wilo the wisp. LOVE that one. its so epic.

retrofuturist

#19 Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

I have no interest in them reinventing themselves. I just hope they do what they want to do (although personally, I hope it's not more Guardian political tropes, but that's up to them).

Retro. :)

Cdrodkey

#20 Post by Cdrodkey »

stopthecar wrote:
Fri 12 Jun 2020, 9:14 pm
I look forward to their metal album. Image
I was just listening to Disco 4 and thought about how good their remixes of rock bands are. There is something very aggressive and subversive, I think, on rock tracks.

dbaseboy

#21 Post by dbaseboy »

Still say a hook-up with Pedro Gonzales would be great. But for the more hard-edge Berlin type minimalist techno they should use someone like Kolsch to produce them. For it to be different, they would need to alter their writing style too; less Burning the heather (which was supposed to be the key track for the next album) and Only the dark. West End girls lockdown mix displayed an interesting stripped back electro vibe which would be interesting, though not sure whether a full album would be a bit too much. What’s been fascinating is the reaction/ interest Monkey business got. They need a couple more of these off the wall tracks to keep public interest. Let’s face it, we NEED another It’s a sin or Always on my mind lol.

Nickname

#22 Post by Nickname »

dbaseboy wrote:
Sun 14 Jun 2020, 10:07 am
For it to be different, they would need to alter their writing style too; less Burning the heather (which was supposed to be the key track for the next album) and Only the dark. West End girls lockdown mix displayed an interesting stripped back electro vibe which would be interesting, though not sure whether a full album would be a bit too much. What’s been fascinating is the reaction/ interest Monkey business got. They need a couple more of these off the wall tracks to keep public interest. Let’s face it, we NEED another It’s a sin or Always on my mind lol.
I'm agree but they are not able to do that. So it's much better a reinvention than another confortable album full of ballads.

tonipsb

#23 Post by tonipsb »

They had previously mentioned long before it was named, that Hotspot was going to be a "dark techno" album. That must have changed far earlier. I love Hotspot, but I would still like to hear a dark techno style album from them.

I do think that their next album will unfortunately be their last album. I seem to remember that they mentioned in Annually that their next album will be like "Burning the Heather". I hope that it isn't. I love Burning the Heather, but don't think I'd like a full album of slower acoustic sounding tracks. I think their next album will be like a cross between Release and Elysium.

Pod

#24 Post by Pod »

Please, please, please not an album of ballads... :sick:
Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning. :|
It shows the world that you've got substance and depth.

Spittingcat

#25 Post by Spittingcat »

I full album of rich guitar tracks, like Burning the Heather, is exactly what I’d like to hear… although my kids say otherwise, they want more electronic purist stuff. Oh, barring something awful happening, we have lots more albums to come… they’ll stop touring before they stop making music. It may be that those albums become less and less pop, if both radio play and touring comes to a complete end… and they may be far from what either many of ‘the fans’ or general public expect from them… but they won’t stop doing what they want in terms of making music, unless they have to.

bongsteve

#26 Post by bongsteve »

Not really looking for a reinvention per se. They really have managed to make every album unique in it's own way while still sounding distinctly PSB.

The one thing I would love to see while we are all in lockdown is a full album of their own remakes much like West End girls.

Spittingcat

#27 Post by Spittingcat »

I know they don’t like “looking back”, but a “Dreamworld” album of remakes of old songs to go with the now 2021 tour would be great. That Lefttomyowndevices acid track was fantastic, as is that lock down version of Westendgirls.

Dog

#28 Post by Dog »

I think we’ll get PSB’s “England” album... a counterpoint to Hotspot... More Bernard Butler, maybe co-producing alongside them; Tracey Thorn on a few tracks. Inspired by country walks and musings on identity. I’d be well up for that.
Woof.

Pod

#29 Post by Pod »

Dog wrote:
Mon 15 Jun 2020, 7:30 pm
I think we’ll get PSB’s “England” album... a counterpoint to Hotspot... More Bernard Butler, maybe co-producing alongside them; Tracey Thorn on a few tracks. Inspired by country walks and musings on identity. I’d be well up for that.
Yeah I’d be up for that too I think.
Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning. :|
It shows the world that you've got substance and depth.